ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #23191
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Another short video from Natural Bridge this weekend. A little more exciting than the first.

That's a neat chunk of road. Where is that?

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #23192
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
That's a neat chunk of road. Where is that?
That's Greyledge Rd, it's short but very fun with about 6 semi-dry (at times) stream crossings. Pay close attention to the "road", no guard rails to keep you from falling 20 feet into the stream! Also, if you do it, ride it slow the first time until you remember where the rim destroying drain pipe sticks up 8".

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1R2ADFA_enUS528&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46751780,d.dmg&biw=1391&bih=604&q=greyledge+rd+va&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x884cdec1cbba0eb9:0xcc8c5dba73381f1f,Greyle dge+Rd,+Buchanan,+VA+24066&gl=us&sa=X&ei=SuCaUfXGNdTe4APphIHYBQ&ved=0CCsQ8gEwAA

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 07:55 PM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #23193
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,698
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
That's Greyledge Rd, it's short but very fun with about 6 semi-dry (at times) stream crossings. Pay close attention to the "road", no guard rails to keep you from falling 20 feet into the stream! Also, if you do it, ride it slow the first time until you remember where the rim destroying drain pipe sticks up 8".

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1R2ADFA_enUS528&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46751780,d.dmg&biw=1391&bih=604&q=greyledge+rd+va&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x884cdec1cbba0eb9:0xcc8c5dba73381f1f,Greyle dge+Rd,+Buchanan,+VA+24066&gl=us&sa=X&ei=SuCaUfXGNdTe4APphIHYBQ&ved=0CCsQ8gEwAA

Greyledge is a hoot!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:19 AM   #23194
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 858
Weekend Ride

Quote:
bloochdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez

Greyledge is a hoot!
That was a great section of road. It took me off guard at first because we had been on basic gravel roads up until that point. That drain pipe came up quick .... not sure how I avoided the dreaded bent rim on that one.

One of these day I will figure out how to post the GoPro videos. Its super clear on my PC and when I play them on my big screen TV, but when I post them on ADV the quality seems to suck. Grrrrrr
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:36 AM   #23195
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 498
Airhead cafe seat richmond

Anyone interested in a plug and play cafe racer seat, subframe, fender, taillight and wiring harness for a BMW airhead?

Picture here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2xnery98243nuje/IMG00521.jpg

Not sure what I'd need to get for it. If it moves you and you are interested lets talk.

Literally you undo the shocks, four subframe bolt, unplug the wiring harness and swap it out. Change your license plate too!!

Home made taillight bracket with LED taillight.

Hate to ship it since it is large and unwieldly.
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:54 AM   #23196
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
That was a great section of road. It took me off guard at first because we had been on basic gravel roads up until that point. That drain pipe came up quick .... not sure how I avoided the dreaded bent rim on that one.

One of these day I will figure out how to post the GoPro videos. Its super clear on my PC and when I play them on my big screen TV, but when I post them on ADV the quality seems to suck. Grrrrrr
I have the same problem. And unfortunately the internet is filled with misinformation. Too many people trying to help that do not know what they are talking about. I am not sure how you can compress the files without some loss of clarity.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #23197
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I have the same problem. And unfortunately the internet is filled with misinformation. Too many people trying to help that do not know what they are talking about. I am not sure how you can compress the files without some loss of clarity.
It's all in what you're uploading on I think. Look at the video I just posted and tell me if it's clear for you guys. It should be. Just make sure you put the video to the highest resolution. I'll give my input on what I think if you tell me the video I uploaded is clearer than the ones you guys upload.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #23198
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,444
Hey Burton, that was a nice smooth video ride to the top. Maybe it's your riding style or the helmet cam, but it almost looks like tower road has had some work done since we were last up there. Looks like it might have been graded. Where are all the ruts and rocks?

could just be the camera.. it didn't look very steep either, but we know that hasn't changed.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #23199
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,623
Don't forget....

REI Member coupon is on....actually gotta be a member to use it but its the only time I typically buy something from REI

Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #23200
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

It is funny that the Richmond area has no public riding trails. There are a couple of private clubs that most people do not know about and those are more motocross from what I hear. I lived in Anchorage for a bit and they had a free public motocross track out by the airport. No trails, but it was nice of them to have something like that open to the public. It was not too long ago that Richmond had no mountain biking trails and now they are what puts Richmond on the map.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #23201
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,276
Video-off, for lack of a better term.

Me thinks all you Cecil B. DeMille wannabes should have a video-off. To make it interesting, throw a little money in the pot to be awarded to the winner.

Create an x-area video thread (x = Richmond area, state area, etc.).
Discuss amongst yourselves and select a non-participating mediator and $$ holder.
Ante up some $ amount ($25, $50, $100, etc.) for each video entered. One individual can enter multiple videos. $$ amount for each video entered must be sent to the mediator to hold.
Videos must be shot between some day/month to some day/month, that being the day when the last one can be up-loaded.
Call for vote by the mediator. Anyone can vote, however, only one vote only per person casting a ballot. Vote selections to be sent to the mediator via PM.
Voting ends on some day/month.
Mediator to tally the votes and announce a winner.
Arrange time/place for the winner to collect the spoils of his/her effort.

Or, something to that effect.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #23202
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,892
Video shoot-out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Me thinks all you Cecil B. DeMille wannabes should have a video-off. To make it interesting, throw a little money in the pot to be awarded to the winner.
Well, I know who I'd vote for so far. I've not seen anything like the quality of Halfplate's GS Trophy competition video. Fast paced, well blended, set to music, with titles. When I first watched it I thought he had linked us to an official BMW youtube video. That was a fine job.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #23203
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,859
What cameras are you guys running?

I feel like I've asked this before, but with my birthday coming up I'm thinking hard about getting one.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #23204
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Quote:

I feel like I've asked this before, but with my birthday coming up I'm thinking hard about getting one.

I use a Drift HD170 "Stealth" model which is all black and allows for recording in higher framerates than the original. Whatever camera you get, the first thing you should do is update the firmware for any bugfixes. The features that I like about mine are that it's all rubberized and therefore water resistant, it has an LCD screen on the front so you can set your shots up easier, a remote, and a rotating lens so you can rotate the image to compensate for mounting the camera at weird angles. You can record up to 1080p at 30fps, 720p at up to 60fps. Night mode, interval record for time lapse images, and still cam mode. Nice little machine, affordable too. I recommend it.

That video was just some raw footage (and there's more in the same playlist) but I'm going to edit something together pretty soon so that it's easier to watch and less boring. There is 2-3 hours of footage to distill... I've definitely enjoyed watching everyone else's video so far by the way.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #23205
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:

I am using the Contour Roam. Easy to use and mounts to the side of the helmet with a narrow profile.