ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #23296
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
Looking to do this again in two weeks from now, friday.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11650...COLP6tOarrjIAg

Interested, if you have room for a tag along. I'll need to see how things play out at work next week (Major plant maint shutdown begins next fri). Big bikes or little bikes? My Husky 610 isn't sure which one it is.
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #23297
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 2,970
Wink

Hey Pete....what's that there Blue Yammy in the backround with the DT on the tank?
is that an old IT series from circa 1977??
What size?
& How Much$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Heyyyyy. I got one of those, too.

Mine needs a rebuild, though. Blows oil at high RPM. Just waiting for the time. Mine's slightly modified. It has aluminum rims, larger carb, wide lowered and set back pegs, different headlight, and cool paint job.

I just mostly use it in my back yard, though.
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #23298
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
Interested, if you have room for a tag along. I'll need to see how things play out at work next week (Major plant maint shutdown begins next fri). Big bikes or little bikes? My Husky 610 isn't sure which one it is.
Always room for tag-alongs... that is my personal main game :) Also, that trail is good to have several riders along.. many opportunities to get hurt. I'd take a smaller bike but I don't have one, but bring what ever bike you want. The smaller the bike though the more you have to wait on me :)

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #23299
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
Rode shoe creek yesterday. I admit it was a challenge, but fun. Started off on the private access road VA621 up over to the towers, then down to the entrance to shoe creek exiting on highway 56.

Looking to do this again in two weeks from now, friday.
Dang it. I have every other Friday off...but it's the wrong rotation. I would like to have tagged along also.

Maybe another time if you let me know.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #23300
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by draley View Post
Dang it. I have every other Friday off...but it's the wrong rotation. I would like to have tagged along also.

Maybe another time if you let me know.
I am probably going to be riding around up in that area tomorrow, but I am not going to tackle Shoe Creek by myself again.

1st try, I had a crash after crossing the 2nd creek and tweaked my back picking the KLR up from an awkward position.

2nd try, I took a wrong turn, I think, and made it to the "slick rock", and decided not to go on.

I'm up for my third strike, but not alone this time. I just have to decide which bike. The WRR doesn't have a scratch on her yet...so any little mishap could cause me considerable amount of regret and sorrow.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #23301
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
The WRR doesn't have a scratch on her yet...so any little mishap could cause me considerable amount of regret and sorrow.
We buy them to ride them and scratch the crap out of em.... anything else is prone to unhappiness ;)

It is unfortunate our fridays are off schedule... I'd be happy to change to a saturday.

I'll pm ya to keep in touch.

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #23302
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES View Post
Hey Pete....what's that there Blue Yammy in the backround with the DT on the tank?
is that an old IT series from circa 1977??
What size?
& How Much$$$
That is a 1988 DT50. Legally a moped as long as it doesn't go over 35 MPH. Also have a Honda MB5 in the same category.

Not for sale. It was "given" to me by a relative. Cost more than it's worth.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #23303
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,901
Quote:
I just have to decide which bike. The WRR doesn't have a scratch on her yet...so any little mishap could cause me considerable amount of regret and sorrow.

just get some cheap used plastic for the WR and stick it on the bike. plenty of water out there right now, but the WR can handle it.

(photo courtesy of WayneJ)

jdrocks screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 08:16 PM
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #23304
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Ok, so what are we riding , blue or orange? Two or four strokes? How about both!

Old 05-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #23305
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I remembered that there was some question as to whether the RIC police have some dirt bikes. I was walking on Belle Isle at lunch today and saw 8 bicycle cops and 2 other cops on dirt bikes. Not sure what was going on, but they seemed to have been looking for someone or something so my coworkers and I decided it wasn't a place to loiter and moved on.

So now you know, if they decide to come after you in the TG, they sure can.

It's a park. You're allowed to loiter!
Old 05-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #23306
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I remembered that there was some question as to whether the RIC police have some dirt bikes. I was walking on Belle Isle at lunch today and saw 8 bicycle cops and 2 other cops on dirt bikes. Not sure what was going on, but they seemed to have been looking for someone or something so my coworkers and I decided it wasn't a place to loiter and moved on.

So now you know, if they decide to come after you in the TG, they sure can.
Chesterfield Co definitely had offroad cops, and probably still. A few years ago I knew two of them fairly well. One of them lived here in Chester and came with my group to Hatfield once.

They were both young and fast (by my standards). Vchss class a/b.. So don't even think about it..
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #23307
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,738
Saw an inmate above Williamsburg yesterday when my son and I were returning from mountain biking in Freedom Park. Thought he may be coming from the ferry crossing.

Loop C

Wee Strommin along.

biker128pedal screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 09:43 AM
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #23308
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
So I had a pretty wild ride in the mountains this past weekend. It was a great time, but the bike has a few battle scars, most of which are minor. There is one that's pretty significant, a chunk torn out of my clutch side engine covers.

Should have bought that skidplate sooner.

So the question of the day is, how do you all suggest I get this bolt straight enough to unscrew? A buddy suggested a torch. The covers are both going to get replaced when I can find some used or salvage parts at a fair price, and it doesn't look like it'll be too expensive.

...About the cost of a nice new skidplate, actually. So now I have to buy it twice. Lesson learned... the hard way, as usual.

Now for the gore

Old 05-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #23309
Roald
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Chesterfield Co definitely had offroad cops, and probably still. A few years ago I knew two of them fairly well. One of them lived here in Chester and came with my group to Hatfield once.

They were both young and fast (by my standards). Vchss class a/b.. So don't even think about it..
The riding area is in Chesterfield Co; the Martins entrance is in the city. I've never seen a cop on a ds back there and heard that Chesterfield doesn't even have DS unit anymore. But if Brad Bakken and Robbie Norwood are now on patrol back there I'm giddy for the opportunity to test myself against the best!
Roald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #23310
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post

Looks like you're going to need a new side cover, too. I'd use a Dremel cut-off wheel and chop it off. Then remove clutch cover and side cover. It will probably come out with finger pressure.

While you're getting the skid plate, get the aluminum side cover protector, too. They glue on to the clutch cover and alternator cover, which are both fragile magnesium. Edit: I see you have the clutch cover protector already.

I rode a DRZ400 for 5 years and learned the hard way, too.