ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #23386
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defaultgateway View Post
How about Phoso1 vietnamese noodles near horsepen and broad?

Second that.. :)

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #23387
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 419
Lets go to tay do off horsepen.....I already have a lunch appt there on friday so that would be cool!!
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:35 AM   #23388
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
My DR's are bikes of the past. The BMW's are bikes of the future.
DM, you're getting soft! My predictions: In the future I predict we will continue to ride our prehistoric DR's past napping hi-tech BMW's, picking up broken pieces, etc. I also predict we will replace our worn clutch plates without pulling the bike in half, in about an hour while drinking beer. I further predict that if need be, we can source a complete replacement motor for the cost of 2 or 3 Touratech farkles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Sorry to hear about Mark's Strom. It is major damage for a bike that stayed upright, though minor enough to continue riding. Did he go into Shoe Creek without a skidplate?? I don't think his riding style is well supported by his steed. There is nothing wrong with a Wee, but it can't hang with him and he can't pussyfoot around. Glad you guys made it home okay.
The damage to Jersey Marks wee doesn't sound bad at all if it turns out that's all there is to it. That "skid plate" is a weak spot, especially for the way he rolls. I'm amazed at the abuse that bike's taken and not had a major problem. Tough. Imagine if Suzuki really engineered and outfitted it to go off road..
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #23389
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 803
Yesterdays ride

Quote:
ddlewis
The damage to Jersey Marks wee doesn't sound bad at all if it turns out that's all there is to it. That "skid plate" is a weak spot, especially for the way he rolls. I'm amazed at the abuse that bike's taken and not had a major problem. Tough. Imagine if Suzuki really engineered and outfitted it to go off road..
Well ... I didn't take a photo of the exhaust on the bottom. Almost completely smashed shut. The oil cooler mounting bracket is cheap. A new skid plate around $200. I recommended a metal one next time.

This video is the first section of trail just south of 60 which parallel's the Parkway. You can see Mark having fun with the Wee.

At the end of the video you can hear the GS shorting out from water on the side stand safety switch. Will run in neutral but not in gear until I dried it out and taped it back up. New safety switch $240. Not going to happen.

Macon, your right. This is one of my favorite places to mount the GoPro. I really shows how much the front suspension is working. And to answer your question yes, we did Shoe Creek without the skid plate.

skychs screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 07:00 AM
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #23390
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
DM, you're getting soft! My predictions: In the future I predict we will continue to ride our prehistoric DR's past napping hi-tech BMW's, picking up broken pieces, etc. I also predict we will replace our worn clutch plates without pulling the bike in half, in about an hour while drinking beer. I further predict that if need be, we can source a complete replacement motor for the cost of 2 or 3 Touratech farkles.

While my drz is slightly more modern, I agree with you 100% Simplicity is beautiful and practical. And affordable!

Can't make it to lunch today, still waiting on that lever to show up tomorrow. Have fun guys.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #23391
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,557
Ok, so you guys had more cameras than riders. Did anyone have a GPS and perhaps a GPX file they want to share?

Thanks..

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #23392
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
While my drz is slightly more modern, I agree with you 100% Simplicity is beautiful and practical. And affordable!

Can't make it to lunch today, still waiting on that lever to show up tomorrow. Have fun guys.
I love low-tech and I am not willing to risk owning high-tech. Why do you think I own 3 DR's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Ok, so you guys had more cameras than riders. Did anyone have a GPS and perhaps a GPX file they want to share? Thanks..
I think Chuck has a track saved with what we rode. Otherwise I could explain it to you. We didn't ride any secret nor illegal stuff. What we rode has been ridden and discussed recently on here. There were some trails and hill climbs on my folks land though. We just had a great time and pushed it pretty hard. I have ridiculously good video, for once. I had to keep the group small for all the obvious reasons. I wish I could have had everyone willing there, but it was not possible.

Dirtmonkey8 screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 08:04 AM
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #23393
skychs
chuck smith

Gps

Quote:
Boon Booni
Ok, so you guys had more cameras than riders. Did anyone have a GPS and perhaps a GPX file they want to share?
Dirtmonkey8 has THE route on his GPS. I have all the tracks we rode Sat and Yesterday on my Zumo 550 but when it comes to sharing it Im lost. Your welcome to look at it to see what you can find.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #23394
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Dirtmonkey8 has THE route on his GPS. I have all the tracks we rode Sat and Yesterday on my Zumo 550 but when it comes to sharing it Im lost. Your welcome to look at it to see what you can find.
Actually I don't. I can't even find my GPS so I did not have one for the ride.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #23395
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,569
Quote:
Cutting down the nasty vine.

The broken side stand safety switch.

The broken skid plate...
What skid plate is that?

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #23396
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
What skid plate is that?
Isn't that the Hyde Racing "skid plate" - like Mickeys?.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #23397
dawgwhat
No Earthy Idea

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
What skid plate is that?
broken...

sorry couldn't resist
Old 05-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #23398
skychs
chuck smith

skid plate

Yup .... its broken alright.

Im not sure of the brand but Madstrom did have one at one time. I think he upgraded to a metal skid plate. The broken one was plastic, hard plastic. Mark still swears he didn't hit anything. He said the bike simply bottomed out. With the kind of riding he does Id almost bet the shocks are in need of some kind of attention.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #23399
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,557
Quote:
You can import the tracks into basecamp/mapsource and export them as GPX files.

I don't think there's any other way to share them.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #23400
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 29,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
En Su Boca (1001 N. Blvd), after it opens.

Ditto the Boka Truck Restaurant (anyone know where that will be?).

Boka Truck schedule

http://bokatruck.com/
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote