ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #23671
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Something to lighten the mood...

Love it! Good ride with a great ending
Old 06-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #23672
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
RANT: Call dominion Power Out number and they refer you to their website. Stoopid fucks! If you have no power, you probably don't have a computer. How dumb is that?

Phone call to them tomorrow so I can piss and moan in their smiling receptionist's ear.

Pretty stupid. Lost power about the same time as you. No generator but I do have my work iPad which has a 3g connection or my sprint cell phone that has data. Used the website to report. Looking at the figures, at one point close to 40k without power in chesterfield and over 60% without power in P'burg.

For us we heard the transformer pop just as the sky started getting dark. I see power out along my side of our street and the next street. I think we are one of the small blue or green dots on the map. Given the number of neighbors I hear with generators, I wonder if this is normal here. It isn't like the lines are cleared at all. Behind my house they sit in the Y of one of our trees about 10 ft off the ground.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #23673
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Pretty stupid. Lost power about the same time as you. No generator but I do have my work iPad which has a 3g connection or my sprint cell phone that has data. Used the website to report. Looking at the figures, at one point close to 40k without power in chesterfield and over 60% without power in P'burg.

For us we heard the transformer pop just as the sky started getting dark. I see power out along my side of our street and the next street. I think we are one of the small blue or green dots on the map. Given the number of neighbors I hear with generators, I wonder if this is normal here. It isn't like the lines are cleared at all. Behind my house they sit in the Y of one of our trees about 10 ft off the ground.
Power flickered on/off here several times during the winds, but no outage to speak of.

I recall someone earlier posted up about having some euros they wanted to be rid of. PM me if still interested. I'd also be interested in Czech koruna and Polish zloty, if anyone happens to have some lying around. (Good year for travel for me. But bad year for riding. )

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #23674
SanK
Reuben-meister

Oddometer: 84
Ok, updated camping plan; planning on riding to the point near st Clements island in Maryland should be around an hour and a half ride. Will call tommorow about ferry times to the island and to see if camping on island is allowed. If I can't camp on the island ill find a relatively close camp site and just chill for the day or something. Probably leaving Friday night or Saturday morning depending on ferry times and camping. Will put out an update tomorrow.
SanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #23675
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post

Our power came back a little while ago.

Really strange the way they have brought feeds into a neighborhood. Many times we'd be in the dark, as was some of my neighbors across the street and behind me - but - the house next door (and some others) still had lights. This used to happen very frequently. I commented to a friend and riding buddy who works for Dominion, and he did a quick study and found that we did have an unusual amount of outages. Not sure what he, or they did, but after that we've been pretty stable. Of course, I had picked up a generator just before that and it basically sat idle for a long time until stuff came through and EVERYONE was affected.

Regardless, still a little miffed with the wording of their power out message... and will give them a call tomorrow.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #23676
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanK View Post
Ok, updated camping plan; planning on riding to the point near st Clements island in Maryland should be around an hour and a half ride. Will call tommorow about ferry times to the island and to see if camping on island is allowed. If I can't camp on the island ill find a relatively close camp site and just chill for the day or something. Probably leaving Friday night or Saturday morning depending on ferry times and camping. Will put out an update tomorrow.
Camping trip sounds interesting, but I will have to pass. I'll be off camping for the next several w/e straight and the missus will only tolerate but so much.

RTE sounds interesting. If I can get my poop together tomorrow with the stuff in the garage, hope to join you.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #23677
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Something to lighten the mood...

Heck yeah! Suzuki sandwich!
Old 06-14-2013, 05:13 AM   #23678
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 858
Suzuki Hill

Quote:
bastardbiker Something to lighten the mood...
I remember that hill very well. Maybe you should rename it Suzuki Hill. Ok, throw in one KTM but the rest were Suzuki's. Macon, I'm still waiting on that video??

Remote storage. Can anyone recommend a stand alone hard drive that I can start downloading and/or backing up my iMac? With all the video's the hard drive is filling up fast. Needs to be Mac friendly.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:14 AM   #23679
SanK
Reuben-meister

Anyone else in on the ride to eat?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:16 AM   #23680
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Remote storage. Can anyone recommend a stand alone hard drive that I can start downloading and/or backing up my iMac? With all the video's the hard drive is filling up fast. Needs to be Mac friendly.
I use a lacie 2tb as a remote back up and storage on my PC, works good and was cheap.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:54 AM   #23681
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Poop. Power just went out........
No sooner than I read this post yesterday - my power went out too. Still out. I'm sitting at Panera typing this. At least it's nice out and not hot like yesterday.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:02 AM   #23682
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
I remember that hill very well. Maybe you should rename it Suzuki Hill. Ok, throw in one KTM but the rest were Suzuki's. Macon, I'm still waiting on that video??

I bought a 1 terrabyte hard drive from Costco a few years ago that I use with my mac. Forgot the brand. Apple's Time Capsule, or whatever it is called, just takes over and does all the back ups. It is a mirror, I guess, of my mac's hard drive so it does not free up space for me, but maybe I should do it differently.

I started making a video of "the ride". It was taking a while so I switched gears and started working on just the highlights of the ride. I pulled the highlights and it was about 27 minutes alone. I am trimming that down a little and getting it sorted. I should have that finished pretty soon. It is going to be a good video. With shots like bikes leaping out of creeks attacking innocent bystanders like flying piranha, how could it not be awesome?
Old 06-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #23683
SanK
Reuben-meister

Well, unfortunately St. Clements island is out
Turns out they are not offering transport this year until the first weekend of July rather than June. Bummer, that trip will have to wait.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:24 AM   #23684
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanK View Post
Anyone up for a RTE tomorrow?
I vote Cuba Tropical Restaurant address is 4120 w. Broad Street, inexpensive and good. Somewhat limited menu but just.... awesome. Last time i went there i got a coconut pastry, Materva soda and a Cuban sandwich for like nine bucks; totally full.
no can do. have to go to the vet and put our 17 year old cat down. not fun
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:24 AM   #23685
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
No sooner than I read this post yesterday - my power went out too. Still out. I'm sitting at Panera typing this. At least it's nice out and not hot like yesterday.
Ours came back about 4:30 long enough for the transformer to blow again. About 6 am they got it fixed.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote