ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #23701
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Many years ago my former company gave me a Dell Latitude D610 (my old computer) when they were going though an upgrade. It came with a docking station, which was great because it really came in handy out in the garage. Unfortunately, it came with no back-up or restore disks for the Win XP Pro that was installed on it.

A week or so ago, the HD on the machine finally took a dump. From everything I have read, this one lasted a heckofalot longer than most. I found a used, but guaranteed, 20 gig drive for $29 and decided to take a chance and give it a try. I installed the drive yesterday, the machine’s set-up recognizes it, but that is as far as I can go.. so that’s where it sits.

If anyone out there has the knowledge to help me get this machine going again, I’d certainly appreciate it.

Please PM me if you think you can help.

what you have is a blank new disk. you'll need to get a operating system disk to install on it.
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #23702
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,934
Well, it's coming down to the wire

Joe and I are about 10 days out from departure. I'm putting out fires, but he is in Myrtle Beach for his senior beach trip. Lucky dawg.

Bikes still need new tires and a final full service. He's going with a hammock shelter while I'm using the old Eureka. He'll have the TAT roll chart and I'll be running GPS backup. Still haven't done an overnight test run, but that just may be done on the way to the OBX for the official start. At least we'll be heading back by Petersburg and will have one last chance to fix things.

Because of family concerns, we are going full high tech. (Something I've never done before) Will have a SPOT (thanks Bloochdog), both phones are wireless hotspot capable. I'm carrying a notebook for GoPro downloads. Both bikes are wired for USB charging on the fly for all equipment. Am also carrying an inverter to charge the notebook.

But here is the one thing I swore I would NEVER do on a trip. I can't believe I'm saying this, but we are both starting Twitter accounts. Yes, Jeff is going to be tweeting on a road trip. Jeez, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth just saying that. However, we sat down and talked about it and it just made sense. We can post pics to Facebook on the fly, and tweet updates to friends and family, with pics attached. All without needing a hotel room or a wireless network. I still haven't figured out how to post to ADVrider on the fly because of their requirement to have photos remotely hosted, so those updates may be slower.

So if anyone wished to know my account, I'll post it here when it is set up and you can follow us on the trip. I promise you I won't post anything about my BFF's, Justin Beiber, or my daily mood swings.....

Man has the world changed. I've ridden most of my life, in some really nasty locations, without a GPS or even a cell phone. Now I can't leave without a full electronic suite, just to stay in touch with family. And we aren't even crossing a border north or south. Go figure. I may be an old dude, but I am trying to stay current.

But to say the least, I'm pumped. This will be my first week+ trip since 2007. It will be good to get back on the road again. Four+ weeks on the road with a great kid too. It will be about as close to a father-son relationship as I'll ever get. And the greatest thing is I'M NOT HIS DAD, so his head doesn't explode when I try to teach him things. Can you see my grin? I guess I'm really the lucky dawg.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom

Jeff Munn screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 05:38 PM
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #23703
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 905
The trip to Seneca Rocks, Spruce Knob and Sinks this weekend was awesome. The weather was perfect and the girls finally got to visit all the great places we normally come home and talk about. We didn't get the chance to explore Sinks because the water level was up and it was COLD but we plan on trying it again once summer finally settles in.

Nicole did a great job on the 650GS learning to tackle the twisty roads of WV and the big GL1800 got its first crack at some gravel and dirt two up. She actually did very well with that big all season car tire on the rear. Todd was on the 12GS with his daughter Minni on the back. Minni was a great sport putting up with the inebriated adults and quickly making friends in the campground.

450+ miles for two great days of riding. Linda, Nicole, Minni and Todd, thanks for a great weekend.

Jeff .... We rode by the old homestead but the gate was closed. Have a great trip!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skychs screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 05:41 PM
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #23704
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Joe and I are about 10 days out from departure. I'm putting out fires, but he is in Myrtle Beach for his senior beach trip. Lucky dawg.

jeff
Ride safe, Jeff! I'm headed for Crested Butte, Colorado on Wednesday, via my sister's temporary place in Colorado Springs. Her house is in the burn zone, and they do not know what is left.

I'll help her clean up, then try and get some riding in.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #23705
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Congrats Jeff! I am so jealous. I can't wait to read all about the trip. Are you spending two weeks driving out, and two weeks back? Or 4 out, and then just slabbing it back? I know your nephew will remember this forever.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #23706
Jeff Munn

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Congrats Jeff! I am so jealous. I can't wait to read all about the trip. Are you spending two weeks driving out, and two weeks back? Or 4 out, and then just slabbing it back? I know your nephew will remember this forever.
His Dad is sharing him with me, so it is planned on being a two-phase trip. He and I are taking 4-5 weeks to do the entire TAT, plus the Blue Ridge Parkway, Deal's Gap, etc. Camping most of the time. When we get to Oregon, his Dad is going to fly out and meet us. We'll do maint, change tires to street, and I'll hand the bike over to him. I'll fly home with all the camping gear, and Joe and his Dad are going to ride home on Highway 50 from northern California to Virginia, doing the hotel thing. So it is 4-5 weeks out and then two weeks back for them.

By the time Joe gets his motorcycle license, he'll have already ridden across the country twice. Once on dirt and once on pavement. And no interstates at all.

He already is a great rider from learning at our place in WV.

jeff

Old 06-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #23707
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Ride safe, Jeff! I'm headed for Crested Butte, Colorado on Wednesday, via my sister's temporary place in Colorado Springs. Her house is in the burn zone, and they do not know what is left.

I'll help her clean up, then try and get some riding in.
Boy I love that area.

By the time Joe gets his motorcycle license, he'll have already ridden across the country twice. Once on dirt and once on pavement.

That's really great. Think just how excited he must be and what a seasoned rider he will be when he returns. A dream come true.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 06:48 AM
Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #23708
Jeff Munn

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
T
Jeff .... We rode by the old homestead but the gate was closed. Have a great trip!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm sorry we weren't there! Would have been great to see you all.

Chuck, I need to get together with you and get you to help me set up Tapatalk on my Droid. Posting from the phone would be a nice thing on the road.

jeff

Old 06-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #23709
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
That is awesome. I fear my wife will never let me do a trip that's that long. I wonder if I could crush the TAT in less than 2 weeks and slab back?
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #23710
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
We didn't get the chance to explore Sinks because the water level was up and it was COLD but we plan on trying it again once summer finally settles in.
>>>>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
The Sinks are on private property but the upstream side is not posted. The landowners graciously allow us on their land to view the entrance but you need the landowners permission to explore the cave.

The land around the exit is posted with these:

Also, if you're going to be entering any cave you should be aware of White-nose syndrome (WNS). It has killed and is still killing millions of bats.

http://whitenosesyndrome.org/

National Speleological Society WNS page.

All caves in the Monongahela NF and most private caves were closed at one time because of this. Not sure if they still are. They believe people are partly to blame for the spread of WNS.
<<<<<<<
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #23711
Jeff Munn

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
That is awesome. I fear my wife will never let me do a trip that's that long. I wonder if I could crush the TAT in less than 2 weeks and slab back?
4800 miles of dirt and 3040 miles return in 14 days? Wow. You'd have to be smoking. That's over a 500 mile a day average. That would be hard to do just on slab.

But just doing the TAT in 14 days would require over 350 miles of dirt per day. Double wow. Sam's guidance is about 200 per day, taking 22-24 days one way.

jeff

Old 06-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #23712
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
The local Rotary clubs and Velocity motors help kids with books and have a Riders for Readers event.

the 3rd graders get free books and a chance to check out some motorcycles

that was fun!!

finished it off with Alamo BBQ
Buddy,

Thanks for coming out to support Riders for Readers and thanks for posting pix to prove it happened! That was a a lot of fun.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #23713
Jeff Munn

Just testing. New app.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #23714
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 905
Tapatalk

Jeff ..... Looks like you already figured it out. It's actually very easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJ
The Sinks are on private property but the upstream side is not posted. The landowners graciously allow us on their land to view the entrance but you need the landowners permission to explore the cave.
Wayne ..... We saw all the signs that you posted but we never saw ANY no trespassing signs. Do you know something we don't? There were sheep and cows everywhere but no dogs. Do you have any contact information for the land owners?
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #23715
Jersey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
U.s.s new jersey ready for battle :)
Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote