ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #23716
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Joe and I are about 10 days out from departure. I'm putting out fires, but he is in Myrtle Beach for his senior beach trip. Lucky dawg.

But to say the least, I'm pumped. This will be my first week+ trip since 2007. It will be good to get back on the road again. Four+ weeks on the road with a great kid too. It will be about as close to a father-son relationship as I'll ever get. And the greatest thing is I'M NOT HIS DAD, so his head doesn't explode when I try to teach him things. Can you see my grin? I guess I'm really the lucky dawg.

jeff
Your not lucky. The heroic effort you are putting into this (Yes...heroic) is what is making this happen. Luck has nothing to do with it. Joe is the lucky one. As most others have said, Joe won't forget this. Hell, I won't forget it, and I'm not going!
This is an epic journey that most people only dream of. Have a safe ride.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #23717
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey View Post
U.s.s new jersey ready for battle :)
If that is aluminum I give it two weeks. Also, I think I see his problem. He thinks it is a battleship and not a motorcycle. That makes it even more confusing considering where he takes it.

Jersey, I won't say it is a bad skid plate but the mounting hardware looks a little weak.

Should of got one of these they are stronger and cheaper. http://shop.enduroguardian.com/Steel...SK-ST-BRKT.htm They seem to have stainless and aluminum versions too.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #23718
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
If that is aluminum I give it two weeks. Also, I think I see his problem. He thinks it is a battleship and not a motorcycle. That makes it even more confusing considering where he takes it.

Jersey, I won't say it is a bad skid plate but the mounting hardware looks a little weak.

Should of got one of these they are stronger and cheaper. http://shop.enduroguardian.com/Steel...SK-ST-BRKT.htm They seem to have stainless and aluminum versions too.
Looks indestructible to me.. Let's go see!
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #23719
Defaultgateway
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Shiney things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey View Post
U.s.s new jersey ready for battle :)
Awesome, dude! You will have that torn off in no time...
Defaultgateway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #23720
Defaultgateway
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Updates to my 990 Adventure

Farkelitis fever has once again reared it's ugly head.(2011 990 Dakar KTM) Here is what I did:

1. I needed power for the GPS and heated gear stuff, so added under the right cowling a fuse box with 6 switched circuits, 2 unswitched circuits utilizing 12ga. wiring direct from the source. The switch circuit controls a 60 A relay, the relay power supplies the 6 fused circuits.

2. Removed the air pump and cat air solenoid valve, along with the stock air cleaner box and carbon cansiter. To keep the fuel injection computer I added 22k ohm resistors to the air pump and cat air solenoid connectors to stand in for the real things. This and the two catalytic converter mufflers filled a recycle bin to the top and weighs about 25 lbs.

3. Added a Roxx Remus 2 into 1 single exhaust system to replace the stock mufflers. The stock pipes, due to the cats, really put out the heat (600 deg. F) to operate, so I was glad to see these go.

4. Added a BlackDog rear rack and a small orange color pelican case.

5. Added a Rottweiler CPR filter.

6. Remapped the ECU with a map from CPR.

7. Added an oil dump tube to the oil drain to make oil changes easier.

8. Checked the valve clearance, all were to the upper limit, so I made a record and moved on.

9. Changed oil and filters

10. On the CPR filter, I kept the stock crankcase check valve and routed a line from the engine to behind the rear throttle body. I fabricated a custom stainless steel bracket an added a K and N car breather filter. As I was too stupid to order the CPR filter without the hole used in the normal install to mount the stock check valve, I whipped up on my trusty South Bend Heavy 10 lathe a hole plug with o-ring seal out of nylon 66, and a #6-32 button head screw to hold it all together.

Things to be done:
Change the front and rear tires- Continental tk's front, Heidi K60 rear.

Anyhoo....

So I gots me more animal in me animal...
Defaultgateway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #23721
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,044
Spam Alert!

If anyone is looking for a nice XR100 I am about to post my wife's on craigslist. Clean bike, new tires, runs good, will need a chain sometime soon. It made a great trail bike for a vertically challenged female. Just let me know and we can make a fair deal.

-HP
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #23722
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
I'm sorry we weren't there! Would have been great to see you all.

Chuck, I need to get together with you and get you to help me set up Tapatalk on my Droid. Posting from the phone would be a nice thing on the road.

jeff
Since you have a Droid Picasa will work very well for you as a photo hosting site. Picasa is owned by Google and you can send phtotos to Picasa very easily. That's what I miss most now that I am using an iphone.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #23723
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
4800 miles of dirt and 3040 miles return in 14 days? Wow. You'd have to be smoking. That's over a 500 mile a day average. That would be hard to do just on slab.

But just doing the TAT in 14 days would require over 350 miles of dirt per day. Double wow. Sam's guidance is about 200 per day, taking 22-24 days one way.

jeff
Hmm, thanks for the insight. Maybe what I can do is shoot for a two and a half weeker at some point and ship the bike out or something. My wife would still not be happy with me.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #23724
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,021
Anyone up for a sand ride?

Unless something occurs between now and then, Joe and I will be riding down to Duck, OBX on Monday to "start" our TAT adventure. Want to actually start on the sand with wheels in the Atlantic, then finish it in the Pacific.

Anyone want to ride down with us? 3 hrs down. An hour on the beach riding and taking photos. Then 3 hrs back.

On an XR650 with knobbies, I'm really NOT looking forward to 6 hours of droning down and back, but a man's got to do what a man's got to do......

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #23725
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Unless something occurs between now and then, Joe and I will be riding down to Duck, OBX on Monday to "start" our TAT adventure. Want to actually start on the sand with wheels in the Atlantic, then finish it in the Pacific.

Anyone want to ride down with us? 3 hrs down. An hour on the beach riding and taking photos. Then 3 hrs back.

On an XR650 with knobbies, I'm really NOT looking forward to 6 hours of droning down and back, but a man's got to do what a man's got to do......
So you guys are just taking a boring route?

And you can ride on the beach in Duck? I stayed in Duck for a week a couple weeks ago, and didn't see car access.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #23726
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 958
Beach access

Quote:
And you can ride on the beach in Duck? I stayed in Duck for a week a couple weeks ago, and didn't see car access.
Just take hwy 12 up through Duck and Corola. It ends with beach access and lots of sand. What ever you ride it has to be licensed and registered.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #23727
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
http://https://www.facebook.com/phot...type=3&theater

I'd make the beach ride down and back on Tuesday but I'm sure your schedule is already set.

Looks like the National Park Service has now banned bikes on the Park service beaches.

Oregon Inlet Idiots
Liked May 28
May 28, 2013 2:33pm

Well you don't see this everyday at the Inlet. Someone at NPS Permit Office issued this guy a permit for his motorcycle and he was stopped by this very nice Park Ranger. The Park Ranger handled the situation very well and the guy left without a problem. Wasn't his fault nor the Park Rangers fault as he was issued & paid for a permit. I hope he got his money back.

Beaches from Corolla north to Carova are Currituck County Beaches and should not be effected.

Whitfield screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 03:56 PM
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #23728
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
I'd make the beach ride down and back on Tuesday but I'm sure your schedule is already set.
Sorry, but we are down to the wire. Want to do the beach Monday, final load and family dinner on Tuesday, then roll Wednesday morning for the BRP. Need to be in Maggie Valley, NC by Thursday night. I'm thinking early Friday we can do Deal's Gap before all the zip & splats get there, then get the hell out of dodge and into Tennessee.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #23729
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,544
It's going to be an awesome trip. Jeff.

Quote:
Sorry, but we are down to the wire. Want to do the beach Monday, final load and family dinner on Tuesday, then roll Wednesday morning for the BRP. Need to be in Maggie Valley, NC by Thursday night. I'm thinking early Friday we can do Deal's Gap before all the zip & splats get there, then get the hell out of dodge and into Tennessee.

jeff
Old 06-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #23730
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,408
Quote:

jeff
If you can, make an effort to go to the Wheels Through Time bike museum in Maggie Valley. Well worth the time.