ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 04:28 AM   #23731
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
2014 GS Trophy...

For anyone interested....

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/fascination/gs_trophy_2014/gstrophy2014_event.html¬rack=1

I've got the date saved. Eddy, Halfplate???
Old 06-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #23732
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
If you can, make an effort to go to the Wheels Through Time bike museum in Maggie Valley. Well worth the time.

+1 great place!!
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #23733
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Sorry, but we are down to the wire. Want to do the beach Monday, final load and family dinner on Tuesday, then roll Wednesday morning for the BRP. Need to be in Maggie Valley, NC by Thursday night. I'm thinking early Friday we can do Deal's Gap before all the zip & splats get there, then get the hell out of dodge and into Tennessee.

jeff

Jeff,

Have fun and ride well!! Keep us posted as to your progress. I agree, I'd hit the Wheels Through Time Museum if in Maggie Valley.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #23734
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
Heck yeah I'm in ...I've taken the time off from work and I was the 5th GS nerd in the country to sign up!

I recommend it very much. It's $200 but for that you get 2 nights of camping, a cool t-shirt that you can't buy anywhere else!. 4-5 meals, GREAT fun riding GS's all day while your friends are at work, you get to meet a bunch of nice, like minded people and you get an opportunity to measure your skills against 199 other riders brave (or dumb, lol) enough to have signed up. Three lucky riders will get a new FREE BMW riding suit and a FREE trip to represent the USA in the international competition. Three years ago it was in Africa, last year in South America! Who knows where it will be in 2014??? Asia? USA? Back to the Andes? Germany?
I will either buy or borrow a utility trailer, I can take 4 others in my truck (new super cab) and drag all of the bikes behind.

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 12:00 PM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #23735
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Anyone want to ride down with us?
Jeff, unfortunately on short notice I can't go. You are going to have a ball! Buena suerte amigo!

I know that you have a SPOT, but there is a new toy in town: http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=301
Old 06-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #23736
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
I'm registered for the GS Trophy!

Eddy...keep me posted about the trailering. It will probably be the perfect time for some new TKCs and I'd hate to feed them to pavement on the way down and back.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #23737
Jersey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I just got back from a ride i saw two adv riders on my way home going through lural fork. Two gs 1200 and I saw another bear too, ran right out in front of me.
Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #23738
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Jeff, unfortunately on short notice I can't go. You are going to have a ball! Buena suerte amigo!

I know that you have a SPOT, but there is a new toy in town: http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=301
"Airtime as low as 25¢ a minute", where do I sign? I ride to get out and away, not so I can pay more to be connected.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #23739
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
"Airtime as low as 25¢ a minute", where do I sign? I ride to get out and away, not so I can pay more to be connected.
I like the Spot Phone. As long as it can never ring.... Dang I hate the sound of a phone ringing. I agree with you on riding being my escape and this thing killing it. Good thing they don't market directly to spouses of riders... Would be nice to be able to give a heads up about being very behind schedule but A-OK, sometimes, though. I don't get far from home though. I haven't taken a bike out of state in over a year and a half. I could probably get away with a dinner bell for a few more years.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #23740
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
"I ride to get out and away, not so I can pay more to be connected.
I agree 100% about wanting to get out and away, but I can't afford to be unreachable for really long. I have too many irreplaceable "treasures" at home to check in on.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #23741
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
So I may hit the mountains Friday to hit some dirt and then I have to head to Roanoke. If anyone is interested in heading out to ride let me know. Will probably ride shoe creek.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:47 AM   #23742
Jersey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Short call shout out riding to tower rd and there abouts leave at 8ish.
Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:45 AM   #23743
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey View Post
Short call shout out riding to tower rd and there abouts leave at 8ish.
Geez Jersey, you are on riding son of a gun. Guess you want to check out that new armored plating, eh? If you get back in time, stop by for a beer.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #23744
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Is anyone interested in riding out to Shoe Creek area with me tomorrow? Will either be leaving around 9 or 1. Depending on my morning plans, and who else is interested.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #23745
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Is anyone interested in riding out to Shoe Creek area with me tomorrow? Will either be leaving around 9 or 1. Depending on my morning plans, and who else is interested.
If only I had a job where I could take off. I can possibly on the 29th or 30th. Otherwise I am all booked up. Closest I will come to motorcycle related activities is if I go get the DL650 inspected Saturday morning.

Leaving at 1 to go to Shoe creek is really pushing it. It doesn't leave much play time before you are riding home in the dark. I think you said something about heading to Roanoke, which isn't exactly close either. Leave at 9 and you can run it a couple times along with some other fun stuff before you have to head home.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote