ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #23791
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post

Maybe I can cheer you up for a moment. I had a very interesting overnight last night. Long story short ..... I accidently filled the GS with diesel fuel. Because it took so long to fix the problem we had to ride Alhambra at night to find a campground. On the way to Alhambra I dropped the GS in Shoe Creek fully loaded and on the way home I had a flat tire. That should put a smile on your face.
As much as I hate to admit it, it does We've all been there and done that. I'm sure you are much better about it today than you were last night. I can imagine how much fun it is to try to upright a capsized battleship, fully loaded, in the dark, in the middle of a stream!!!! Where are the pictures?

You did make me laugh.

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #23792
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Hey Jeff .....
Sorry to hear about your situation. I know you worked hard putting everything together. Im guessing you will hear from him soon and the trip will begin as planned. Im thinking positive for you.

Maybe I can cheer you up for a moment. I had a very interesting overnight last night. Long story short ..... I accidently filled the GS with diesel fuel. Because it took so long to fix the problem we had to ride Alhambra at night to find a campground. On the way to Alhambra I dropped the GS in Shoe Creek fully loaded and on the way home I had a flat tire. That should put a smile on your face.
Filled up with diesel... maybe it was a good day for you to be on the bike instead of on a plane. Sounds like you had a extra portion of adventure on your overnighter.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #23793
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 917
Weekend

I'm glad I could help Jeff. I'm still thinking everything will work out for you. My fingers are crossed.

In regards to photos ...... Dan has some of me working on the GS trying to get all the diesel out of the tank and working on the flat tire but he was ahead of me crossing Shoe Creek and never saw it happen. It took two other guys from a nearby campground to get it right side up and out of the water. Damn it was deep. It was also very difficult to see from all the steam (water and exhaust) fogging up my shield and glasses. Fun. Fun. Fun.

One positive outcome from the event .... The Heidenau rear tire acted like a run flat car tire. It never lost form as I rolled into Amherst, even at zero air pressure. Very impressive.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #23794
klim86
veteran

Oddometer: 160
Local trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Video from yesterdays ride. I made a video of my wrecks, but it uploaded all messed up on Youtube so I'm trying to get it fixed somehow before I share.

Where are these trails? Im new to VA and Dual Sporting and I am trying to find some local trails where I can get some experience. Thanks
klim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #23795
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,514
Good luck chuck

It was a good time despite a few "issues". Chuck took it all in stride, no Yosemite Sam outbursts. Hopefully this is a years worth of crappy luck all out of the way.

siphoning the diesel.

I missed the dunk in the creek.. I went on ahead looking for a camping spot and when I got back all the excitement was over.

Drying boots by the fire:

fixaflat. well, plug a flat.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #23796
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
NIce wheelie, bad landing.

Maybe you should get some better riding gear.
Yea Pants are on my list of buys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
That was awesome. Glad you and the bike are OK.
Glad you enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klim86 View Post
Where are these trails?Im new to VA and Dual Sporting and I am trying to find some local trails where I can get some experience.Thanks
This place is kind of a secret. If some Of the locals.want to pm you they can. If I were you I'd go try the trails behind the Martins on forest hill avenue.Lots of great trails.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #23797
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,514
We did end up with a pretty rockin camp site. It was pitch dark by the time we found it so we didn't know what we had till the morning. Nice and flat and open and right on the creek.

ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #23798
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,019
Memorial Day Weekend Ride Video

I think I found a way to make my video work. Follow this link to an album and then click on the last "photo"

.https://picasaweb.google.com/1130096...eat=directlink

Dirtmonkey8 screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 09:11 PM
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #23799
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 845
Nice video Macon.

dljocky screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 12:49 AM
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:37 AM   #23800
skychs
chuck smith

Weekend Video

Macon........
Daaaammmmmmn ....... Thats a great video. Even the wife sat down and watch some of it with me. That weekend will be one to remember. I really liked the "reverse" view of the guys chasing you down. Great angle. Epic adventure. Thanks for putting all that together.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:40 AM   #23801
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
A freind of mine filled his bike up with Diesel down in Daytona one time he has a custum 11 gal. tank I think it cost him about 85 bucks by the time he drained it and refilled. We still call him Diesel Bob.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:45 AM   #23802
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
We did end up with a pretty rockin camp site. It was pitch dark by the time we found it so we didn't know what we had till the morning. Nice and flat and open and right on the creek.

Awesome. Is this on Alhambra Rd.?
Old 06-23-2013, 04:51 AM   #23803
skychs
chuck smith

Quote:
ddlewis
It was a good time despite a few "issues". Chuck took it all in stride, no Yosemite Sam outbursts. Hopefully this is a years worth of crappy luck all out of the way.
Dan .... I hope your right. Id rather get all the bad crap over and out of the way for the rest of the year. Even with everything that happened I still think we had a great time for such a short adventure.

Riding up Alhambra at night was actually kind of fun. Thank goodness I had those IPF HID lamps on the front of the GS.

Thanks for the photos. Mine didn't come out.

Draley..... Yes, the campsite was on Alhambra Rd, left side down off the road.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #23804
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Awesome vid Dirt!: thumbup
Couldn't think of anything else to type.

Dr WhipIt screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 11:48 AM
Dr WhipIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #23805
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,965
Lost boy returns

Well the teen aged alley cat found its way home. He is coming over today so we can change all four tires for the beach tomorrow. Still planning on departing about 0800 if anyone wants to go. Will zero the tracks in my Garmin and start the SPOT when we are on the beach and pointed west.

Thunderbirds are Go!

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote