ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #23821
oakleviathan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
Dude riding the KLX 250 nailed it on that crossing ~ luck or skill he made it look easy.
Whit, I would like to think that it was skill that got me across... Now when I dumped it standing still in the corner.. That was a different story!

Best ride i have had in awhile. I look forward to meeting more of y'all soon!
Old 06-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #23822
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,578
For mountain biking try
Freedom Park in James City County
York River State Park
Beaver Dam County Park in Gloucester
See the EVMA website

Quote:
Originally Posted by klim86 View Post
Hey guys just dropping a quick introduction. Like Whitfield said my name is Rich and I am in the Army stationed at Ft Lee. I just got back from Ft Carson where I had gotten really big into MTBing. I really liked the technical cross country rides out in CO, unfortunately there aren't too many out here. I have a Specialized Rockhopper 29er Comp its a good bike I've put close to 900 trail miles on it in little over a year.

As for motorcycles, I am the proud new owner of a 06 XR50L, I haven't done any mods to the bike yet (a acerbis tank 5.8g is in the mail). I had a 80 Suzuki GS750 that I turned into a café racer after I rebuilt the engine. Needless to say I am pretty handy with a wrench if any of you need a hand with anything, mods or maintenance.

Other than that when Im not at work or turning wrenches try I spend all my free time with my 9 month old son.

I look forward to reading posts and hopefully catching up and hitting some trails.

Rich

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:40 AM   #23823
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
For mountain biking try
Freedom Park in James City County
York River State Park
Beaver Dam County Park in Gloucester
See the EVMA website

Downtown richmond along the James River is supposed to be pretty cool too.

Welcome!!
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #23824
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 29,498
Quote:
BTW Congrats to Dirt Doc & Freaking RT.
I've played a few times, so far I've only gotten a Squirrel. Couple holes later I had a chance at an Eagle but he flew away before I could make my drive off the tee.
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:33 AM   #23825
freaking RT
will golf for food

Quote:
Hey guys just dropping a quick introduction. Like Whitfield said my name is Rich and I am in the Army stationed at Ft Lee. I just got back from Ft Carson where I had gotten really big into MTBing. I really liked the technical cross country rides out in CO, unfortunately there aren't too many out here. I have a Specialized Rockhopper 29er Comp its a good bike I've put close to 900 trail miles on it in little over a year.

As for motorcycles, I am the proud new owner of a 06 XR50L, I haven't done any mods to the bike yet (a acerbis tank 5.8g is in the mail). I had a 80 Suzuki GS750 that I turned into a café racer after I rebuilt the engine. Needless to say I am pretty handy with a wrench if any of you need a hand with anything, mods or maintenance.

Other than that when Im not at work or turning wrenches try I spend all my free time with my 9 month old son.

I look forward to reading posts and hopefully catching up and hitting some trails.

Rich
welcome!! check out http://gpstrailsource.com/parks/virg...er-park-system for a cool mountain bike trail
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
Old 06-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #23826
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
I just watched.. lmao burton, you crashed your pants off. I know exactly where that is btw, Jeremy G. might recognize that little hill with the double dip at the top. Chuck and Michhub too.

Seriously though.. in my opinion MX boots are a much bigger deal than pants for the kind of riding you seem to like. Wait'll you catch a dogwood across the shin, those work boots aren't diddly.
Yea I have a lot of things I need to buy on my list. It's impossible to get them all at once. I'm hoping I will be getting a pair of Klim pants for my anniversary that just passed on Saturday. I'm crossing my fingers now that I'm down another pair of riding jeans.

Quote:
x2 when BB and I rode it I wore jeans but had the riding boots on.

Nice video & Spectacular crash ~ almost a full yard sale.

BB and I talked about crossing the tracks but knowing how those can be either bone or bike breakers I didn't want to beat us up + they are dug out really bad too. Dude riding the KLX 250 nailed it on that crossing ~ luck or skill he made it look easy.
Thanks. I'm glad everyone is enjoying the wreck video. Chad (On the KLX) is a good rider. I do think there was some luck in that crossing, but he was running a much brisker pace in the woods than I dared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Dan, I did recognize that hill.

So today I caged it to Orlando. Down here for conference. Didn't fly because it was on the east coast and I don't like saying moo as I make my way to economy. Last year I almost missed half the conference due to a storm in Charlotte. So now that I am here I have to ask, WTF do old people like it here. 100% humidity and 80+ degrees at night. I know they get cold but don't they suffer from heat stroke too?
I don't get the Florida love either. I could cut that state off the map and be perfectly happy.

Quote:

Rich
Welcome. I always look forward to having more people to ride with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleviathan View Post
Whit, I would like to think that it was skill that got me across... Now when I dumped it standing still in the corner.. That was a different story!

Best ride i have had in awhile. I look forward to meeting more of y'all soon!
Glad you made it out. I had a blast other than the wrecking part. My legs are TORE up.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #23827
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,177
Spent an incredible w/e over in Helvetia attending the Follow Your Bliss Festival.

I got over there a day early and had a chance to meet a number of the locals, who welcomed me into their homes and made me feel most welcome. I pitched in Friday to help set up some of the event sites, stage audio equipment, and just generally help out where I could. Had a chance to meet many of the musicians that were performing over the course of the w/e as well. Many of them hooked up after the day’s events at one of the local’s homes and just jammed into the wee hours of the morning…. like to 4:00 in the morning. Some of the music they put out was absolutely incredible.

They’re already talking about a repeat event for next year, and you can bet you bippy I’ll be there.

All my pix of the w/e at:

http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...0148095_zLVrMp

Old 06-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #23828
SanK
Reuben-meister

Oddometer: 84
As usual I went mia for a while, I'm busy trying to sell the car. Should be moving to a new home hopefuly this weekend! Beyond that; I'm trying to plan a ride to the st. clements island area for the near future since the ferry should be running now. No bikes or vehicles of any kind on the island but should interesting, the surrounding area seems pretty snazzy too. Camping and hiking abound but very little forest roads apparently. Working out details and trying to come up with a tentative plan so ill keep everyone posted. Let me know if you're interested or have any ideas!
SanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #23829
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 774
Welder??

Can someone recommend a welder to me? Small job, just need some nuts tack welded to washers, and those in turn welded just inside my handlebars. I need to attach bar end weights, and the new bars have nothing to attach to.

I've been trying all sorts of alternative options, from compressed rubber bushings, to epoxy, to JB weld. Everything works on the left, and nothing works on the right. So I want to go old school and just weld the f***ers in.

TIA!

"I’m lost. I’ve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #23830
Mbarr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Great video, dirtmonkey. The whole family watched it over breakfast yesterday (that was a first). The wife even enjoyed it.
Mbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #23831
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Can someone recommend a welder to me? Small job, just need some nuts tack welded to washers, and those in turn welded just inside my handlebars. I need to attach bar end weights, and the new bars have nothing to attach to.

I've been trying all sorts of alternative options, from compressed rubber bushings, to epoxy, to JB weld. Everything works on the left, and nothing works on the right. So I want to go old school and just weld the f***ers in.

TIA!
PM sent.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #23832
freaking RT
will golf for food

hey Guy

http://followyourblissfest.helvetiawv.com/ that looks like a fun time!!!
IBA#10787

– Abraham Lincoln

-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
Old 06-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #23833
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:

TIA!
Maybe these would work? http://www.amazon.com/Moose-Handguar...089538&sr=1-50
nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #23834
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,025
Gayle welding down in Petersburg is good.

Quote:

TIA!
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #23835
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
hey Guy

http://followyourblissfest.helvetiawv.com/ that looks like a fun time!!!
It was a totally awesome w/e. I met so many nice people (some local; some not) when I was there. I'll never remember all of their names.... but look forward to seeing some of them again for the 3rd. annual event next year.

Got a note from the organizer (Phil McAvoy) this morning thanking me for all MY help over the w/e. How freakin' humbling is that. I just did what I could to help a community that I absolutely love.

Also met, and got a note from Dave Whipp, the fella who puts out the Helvetia Highlights every month..... some of which I have posted here. He and I have been chatting over the years via email, and it was nice to finally put a face with a name.

Altho' I have work to do, I am being totally lazy today trying to let my sleep schedule, and liver, recoup from the w/e.