ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #23866
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
My turn to ride the TAT.. :) (well half of it)

Hey everyone...

I have got the final set of links for my trip. I'll be leaving on July 3, and hopefully returning. I expect the trip to take 3-4 weeks.

Link One. GPS Spot. This link updates every 10 minutes. It is just a dot on the map showing where I was last. This should run 24/7 (except when I am changing the batteries).

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...l0pPgb28EyW3ju

Two links to Flickr. This will show the pictures taken from a statically mounted camera on the motorcycle. This will update in near real time as I travel... as the pictures are captured they will be automatically uploaded with GPS-Tags and you can see daily what I am seeing :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49616329@N05/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4961632...rder_by=recent

I have a gimic for my traveles... once a day I will be 'accidentally' running over a Dora the Explorer doll. Look for that picture daily and Smile! .. I am having a good time.

Smiles,
Karl

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #23867
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Congrats Karl. I am truly jealous. I can't wait to follow your ride.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:16 AM   #23868
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
Hey everyone...

I have got the final set of links for my trip. I'll be leaving on July 3, and hopefully returning. I expect the trip to take 3-4 weeks.

Link One. GPS Spot. This link updates every 10 minutes. It is just a dot on the map showing where I was last. This should run 24/7 (except when I am changing the batteries).

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...l0pPgb28EyW3ju

Two links to Flickr. This will show the pictures taken from a statically mounted camera on the motorcycle. This will update in near real time as I travel... as the pictures are captured they will be automatically uploaded with GPS-Tags and you can see daily what I am seeing :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49616329@N05/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4961632...rder_by=recent

I have a gimic for my traveles... once a day I will be 'accidentally' running over a Dora the Explorer doll. Look for that picture daily and Smile! .. I am having a good time.

Smiles,
Karl
Karl,
I hope we meet on the trail. Heading down the BRP today. We will be in Tellico Plains for the start this Sunday. Will try to maintain 200-250 miles a day. Not sure that is reasonable given these first two days. My old GS ass does not like the XR seat one bit. And that is with a new seat foam and cover!

You doing the entire trail, or an out and back on it? We're planning 30 days one way.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:44 AM   #23869
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
matched up the shots chronologically but from the perspectives of different riders was excellent.

I am officially going to be at HalfPlate's on Saturday to work on those obstacles. Should be a hoot. I still need a proper skidplate
I figured you would catch that it was done chronologically. That was part of the reason I time stamped some of Chuck's shots since his camera was the only one that was dead on in regards to date and time. It also shows how long the day was. I had no GPS this year so I could not get a shot of it at the end.

I never got a bash plate for the 350 yet either. Good thing Andrew has no rocky sections.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #23870
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I figured you would catch that it was done chronologically. That was part of the reason I time stamped some of Chuck's shots since his camera was the only one that was dead on in regards to date and time. It also shows how long the day was. I had no GPS this year so I could not get a shot of it at the end.

I never got a bash plate for the 350 yet either. Good thing Andrew has no rocky sections.
Are you telling me you aren't going to do trials on the big 650? Oh come on..
Old 06-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #23871
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Got some riding pants finally! Great news since I have tore up all of my riding jeans. Now I just need some good boots to go along with them.

Are those the Baja's? Update on what you think after a ride, please. I wear my Dakars a lot, but they are a little toasty in this weather even with the vents open.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #23872
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Karl,
I hope we meet on the trail. Heading down the BRP today. We will be in Tellico Plains for the start this Sunday. Will try to maintain 200-250 miles a day. Not sure that is reasonable given these first two days. My old GS ass does not like the XR seat one bit. And that is with a new seat foam and cover!

You doing the entire trail, or an out and back on it? We're planning 30 days one way.

jeff

I will be picking up the trail north of Amarillo Texas and will be in Branson Colorado on about the 7th of July. It's possible our paths will cross as the timing seems close. I am only riding the trail from there to Oregon.. the first half I'll have to save for another time.

You can see where I am with the links I posted.. I am hoping it makes it easy to meet up with other riders on this trip...

Yall have a safe ride.. hope to c ya out there :)

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #23873
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,148
Jeff and Karl, safe travels! I'll follow you both on SPOT! Take pictures!

If any of you are planning on going to the BMW GS Trophy Challenge, I have a $500 BMW Performance Center gift card that I want to sell. It must be used by Sept 28th, 2013. You CAN use this towards any motorcycle program or towards the GS Challenge. I am willing to sell it for $350, so if you split it with someone, you would only pay $175 to attend the event versus $200 like everyone else!
Old 06-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #23874
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
...Will try to maintain 200-250 miles a day. Not sure that is reasonable given these first two days. My old GS ass does not like the XR seat one bit. And that is with a new seat foam and cover!...

jeff
Too late now, but I don't think you have the right seat. 250/day should be cake for a guy who rides as much as you. Aftermarket seat with wider pan would probably done you a lot better than extra foam on the stocker..

You'll probably get used to it and if not there's always Ibuprofen.. I'm still jealous, sore ass or no.

Good luck to you guys and Karl. Looking forward to the pics and stories. Riding TAT vicariously is the best I'm going to do for a while.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #23875
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Are you telling me you aren't going to do trials on the big 650? Oh come on..
Maybe next time. I have no idea what I am getting myself into and the reason I have the 350 is for the tighter and more technical rides. Andrew seems to think I should be bringing the 650 since it will be more on par with everyone else. I think he is worried I am going to make it look easy or something. Trust me I won't. I don't even have the capability or balls to do a proper wheelie, yet.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #23876
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Maybe next time. I have no idea what I am getting myself into and the reason I have the 350 is for the tighter and more technical rides. Andrew seems to think I should be bringing the 650 since it will be more on par with everyone else. I think he is worried I am going to make it look easy or something. Trust me I won't. I don't even have the capability or balls to do a proper wheelie, yet.
Everyone is gonna have fun on whatever bike they bring. On a side note I test rode some of the stuff last night on the KTM, and only fell down 4 or 5 times.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #23877
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
Are those the Baja's? Update on what you think after a ride, please. I wear my Dakars a lot, but they are a little toasty in this weather even with the vents open.
Yes, these are the Baja's. After trying them on last night I think these well have TONS of air flow which is great for the summer riding. Not sure what I'll do when the weather cools down, but I'm sure I can throw some long johns on under them and be fine. I'll report back after I get to take them out.

What do you guys do as far as cleaning pants like these? I typically get my jeans VERY muddy whenever I'm out. Do you just throw these in the wash too?
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #23878
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Yes, these are the Baja's. After trying them on last night I think these well have TONS of air flow which is great for the summer riding. Not sure what I'll do when the weather cools down, but I'm sure I can throw some long johns on under them and be fine. I'll report back after I get to take them out.

What do you guys do as far as cleaning pants like these? I typically get my jeans VERY muddy whenever I'm out. Do you just throw these in the wash too?
I typicaly don't wash mine much. I have the Klim's that are mostly open mesh and go over the boot. I forgot which ones they are. Love them, but don't use them in the winter. I get sprayed and rained on enough to keep them from getting too caked up. I have probably hosed them off twice and machine washed them twice in the four years I have had them. The leather inside the legs are my favorite feature and they have suffered no ill effects of two machine washings. Mine are darker than yours though. They were supposed to be grey but are green.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #23879
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,758
Quote:
My Dakars are dark grey and do not show dirt that bad, washed em a couple times when the odor became offensive. My light grey Latitude on the other hand shows dirt from walking around the house. But still only wash it with Tekwash yearly due to the Goretex. Was a year rounder in WI but not so much back here in VA. Just picked up an Olympia Moab Hi-Viz, impressed with it so far.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #23880
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Jeff and Karl, safe travels! I'll follow you both on SPOT! Take pictures!
got a linky for the SPOT tracking ???

Have fun Jeff and Karl
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote