ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #23911
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Is there some list of thread rules somewhere that I've missed?
No rules, per se. But certain topics don't inspire creative debate. Rather, they inflame. So we try to keep subjects on the less volatile side. I know I personally differ from the majority here when it comes to religion, politics, etc. But I'm also not here to recruit or debate for my side. Eventually, everyone will come around without my encouragement. Lol!

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #23912
Evil_Chucky
Whiskey Stealer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Oh, the Jamestown Ferry is free too. Runs about every 20 minutes during peak times. But be advised, it is guarded and all vehicles are subject to inspection by Homeland Security. If you are carrying a weapon, make sure you do it in full compliance with Va law.

jeff
Jeff

I'm finally responding with a ride report, thanks to you, biker128pedal and others for your suggestions.

i rode 95 down to Petersburg where it meets 460. I had left DC around 3 and was surprisingly able to run really well, so I stuck with it. At 460, I ate at Kings BBQ, a tasty stop. I ran 460 to Suffolk then 32, which both rolled very well with little traffic. Then picked up 158 east (passed Grave Digger) with no traffic until I turned on 12 north which even late on a Wednesday evening was slow, or maybe I was spoiled from riding fairly open.

My return was also a great ride. I stopped at Wright Brothers - a place I have always wanted to visit and was not disappointed - and rode 64 west. What a nice ride. At Plymouth, I headed north on 45, picked up 158 west and took 35 north at Conway. What a nice surprise. A small two lane through open country. It was just me on the road and was able to roll very well. It brought me just south of Petersburg where I was able to pick up 95 and join the parking lot at 5 pm on a Saturday (WTF) at Fredricksburg

Still, it was a great ride - thanks for the tips

Evil_Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #23913
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Sounds like we have a winner. Yes, they're mesh everywhere but the waist and knees. Very cool. They just fit me like a second skin. Not a pretty sight.

I can certainly bring them to a meal.
Cool!

Now we just need an RTE loc. Last time I suggested a place, we went there. I need something new.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #23914
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
No rules, per se. But certain topics don't inspire creative debate. Rather, they inflame. So we try to keep subjects on the less volatile side. I know I personally differ from the majority here when it comes to religion, politics, etc. But I'm also not here to recruit or debate for my side. Eventually, everyone will come around without my encouragement. Lol!
Wise words. Besides, those topics don't die easy. They really never reach a conclusion. Cough-hero-cough-cough-traitor-cough-both-cough-cough

We do have pretty good and active thread here. I know when I first started peeking in here I did not find anything interesting and it was months or years before I peeked again, found a ride to take and became active. We should probably try to keep the conversations inviting.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #23915
oakleviathan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Hey guys and gals! If the weather holds out would anyone care to go for a trail ride on Friday or Saturday? Unfortunately I am new to the area so I don't have (know) anywhere to ride yet. I ride a 250 so I would love as little highway as possible to get there!

-Cody
Old 06-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #23916
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleviathan View Post
Hey guys and gals! If the weather holds out would anyone care to go for a trail ride on Friday or Saturday? Unfortunately I am new to the area so I don't have (know) anywhere to ride yet. I ride a 250 so I would love as little highway as possible to get there!

-Cody

Send HalfPlate a PM and ask about maybe doing some of the trials stuff this Saturday!

Everyone else: No more real talk from me today, but rest assured that I'll be true to my name and back again with another controversial topic that will make everyone uncomfortable and be ignored again in another month or so.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #23917
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Send HalfPlate a PM and ask about maybe doing some of the trials stuff this Saturday!

Everyone else: No more real talk from me today, but rest assured that I'll be true to my name and back again with another controversial topic that will make everyone uncomfortable and be ignored again in another month or so.

To quote Bright Eyes:

Taylor: That's the spirit...keep 'em flying.
Lucius: What?
Taylor: The flags of discontent. Remember, never trust anyone over thirty.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #23918
Cervix_a_lot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
An odd request

I know as a newbie user this may seem kind of an ambitious question, but I was was wondering if anyone would have any interest in helping me take a look at/possibly wrenching away at some thing with me and showing me the ropes of some of the things that I don't know but that I should? I could provide beer/pay (not very much seeing as I am kind of broke) but if anyone was interested it would be so awesome. I am located in the VCU/richmond area. If not I totally understand seeing as it is an odd request, I just thought I would throw it out there.
Cervix_a_lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #23919
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,848
Good pictures. Should be a fun project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervix_a_lot View Post
Alright, you asked for 'em, don't judge me too harshly I got it for $240 and it runs...not well, it can't shift into first gear, and it leaks oil like a son of a bitch, but it runs.

This is when I first got it off the truck and back home

This is after we cleaned the carbs and got it running.

This is the SR241 I mounted on the back and am waiting to get balnaced/trued once I find someone who won't completly gouge me on the labor costs.

As it stands I have cleaned (but not rebuilt) the carbs, replaced the rear tire/tube/rim strip on the back wheel, installed new rear brake pads, installed OEM airboxes and filters. I know it runs but because of my lack of knowledge and the large amount of oil it is leaking I am left in a rough spot. My friend who got me into motorcycles knows a bunch but there doesn't seem to be much that he can help me with in tearing the enginge apart and replacing the gaskets/ checking the internals for anything else that may be wrong.

*sorry for the large images, I tried to resize them.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:04 AM   #23920
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Was talking to someone who works for Polaris today at Cisco Live. Turns out Klim rhymes with time. I been saying it wrong all along. Sounds weird to me.

OK back to bikes and trips but no politics. Oh and why run over Dora?
Yep! I realized the first time when I asked if a shop in WI sold "Klim" (pronounced like it is spelled like Slim). Dude got a little uppity when he replied "Do you mean climb (Klim). And all I could think when he said it was [Klay].
Old 06-27-2013, 06:19 AM   #23921
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervix_a_lot View Post
I know as a newbie user this may seem kind of an ambitious question, but I was was wondering if anyone would have any interest in helping me take a look at/possibly wrenching away at some thing with me and showing me the ropes of some of the things that I don't know but that I should? I could provide beer/pay (not very much seeing as I am kind of broke) but if anyone was interested it would be so awesome. I am located in the VCU/richmond area. If not I totally understand seeing as it is an odd request, I just thought I would throw it out there.

I'm always willing to lend a hand and I live in Bellevue which is pretty close. What work are you hoping to do? Anything specifically you want to learn about?

bastardbiker screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 06:36 AM
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #23922
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Was talking to someone who works for Polaris today at Cisco Live. Turns out Klim rhymes with time. I been saying it wrong all along. Sounds weird to me.

OK back to bikes and trips but no politics. Oh and why run over Dora?
Happens to me all the time, and yep I also thought Klim rhymned with "slim"
Other examples: Polaris parent co. Bombadier (snowmobiles/jetskis) is really bum-BARD-ee-ay not BOMB-a-deer.
Dirt bike plastics company Acerbis.. for the longest time I though it was A-sur-bis.. Really A-cher-bee
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #23923
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,044
Yea but the real question is how do you pronounce ARAI SIDI and Pannier?

I have heard the following:
a rye, ar e i, a ray, and just plan arrrrrr
seedy, sigh digh, sidy
Panner, pan your, pan ear, saddle bags

And if you really want a head trip go hang out with some uppity BMW boys, I swear they just make up exotic ways to say crap for the heck of it. Of course I can say that because I is one.

From my experience refer to GreenFlyFarmer for all pronunciation questions.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #23924
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,941
Michub and his drom-a-dairy bag
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #23925
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,044
I thought I should add one more for all the long time Richmonders:

So is it po white, or pow hite

"was that a yea sure or yes sir.... yea sure sir...... candy baaaars.....oky silly doky oh, I am an idiot" That is all for meow
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote