ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #23971
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 880
New Karoo 3's

Just slapped a new rear Metzeler Karoo 3 on the GS today. First impressions are good. They are quieter than I thought they would be and handled very well in the twisties. Next ride should include some dirt and gravel.

photo IMG_2616_zps593022f9.jpg
skychs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #23972
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
I'm in too...if you are on the fence, get off, it's limited to the first 200. Last year only about 50 signed up for each challenge location (Greer, SC and Moab, UT) but I suspect that now that people have heard how much fun it is and that you don't need to be Toni Bou to compete and have fun, it will probably be better attended.
It's honestly more about having fun, meeting people and getting a honest assessment of your skills as it is about competing, although a few people took it too seriously and got pissed off when they either failed to negotiate certain terrain/obstacles. I went with the intention of having fun, I was stunned when I made the top 12 and then quickly got humbled by the top 5 guys...Now hurry up and sign up!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897071
Already done. I sent them the form today but they haven't sent a confirmation.

So... anybody need a roommate in Greer?

BTW Eddy, I am the guy who "lost" his phone on your GS ride at the Spring Fling.
cliffy109 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #23973
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Just slapped a new rear Metzeler Karoo 3 on the GS today. First impressions are good. They are quieter than I thought they would be and handled very well in the twisties. Next ride should include some dirt and gravel.

photo IMG_2616_zps593022f9.jpg
I have about 2000 miles on the same tires. They are showing more wear that I would like. They also have a lot of lateral slip in mud and grass. The forward grip is unbelievable though.
cliffy109 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #23974
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Cool2

Old 06-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #23975
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
I've got their Pocket Full Of Kryptonite album around here somewhere.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #23976
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Why fight the truth? The way you ride just get the TKC's, it will change your outlook on life. Ride mine on Saturday.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #23977
skychs
chuck smith

Tires

Quote:
HalfPlate
Why fight the truth? The way you ride just get the TKC's, it will change your outlook on life. Ride mine on Saturday.
You may be right. I just wish they lasted longer. See you in the morning.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #23978
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
+1 on the TKCs. I usually get around 8K out of the rear on my KLR; 10K on the front.

Of course, on the heavier and more powerful GS-types they'll go away quicker.

For me, they feel rock solid on paved roads and never had any "oh $hit" moments like I did when Kenda 270s were on the bike.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #23979
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
You may be right. I just wish they lasted longer. See you in the morning.
What are your thoughts on the K60 Scouts you took off? Did you like them and would buy them again? How many miles did you get on yours? I am thinking of a K60 rear and a TKC front for the Tiger.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #23980
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
You Beemer guys would love the show that's on Speed right now. They're training on F800GS's, no Idea what this show is though. It's called Moto Cause :Neale Bayly Rides.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #23981
skychs
chuck smith

Tires

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the K60 Scouts you took off? Did you like them and would buy them again? How many miles did you get on yours? I am thinking of a K60 rear and a TKC front for the Tiger.
I liked the K60's. I had almost 6K miles on them when I took the rear off. There was probably another 2-3K left. I replaced the rear with a Karoo3 because of the plug I had to use last weekend and because I'm taking off July 5th or 6th for a two week trip. I would have replaced it with another K60 but RevZilla was out of stock. When I saw they had the Karoo3 it was a chance to try the new tire.

The only thing I didn't like about the tire was its wet road performance. The continuous center strip was very slippery on wet pavement.... But that was it. I loved everything else about the tire especially the off road (dirt/gravel) performance. Tire wear is incredible considering how we ride. The dry pavement performance was also very good. It never broke lose on me.

I would recommend the tire and think it would be a great addition for the Tiger.

I left the Heidenau front tire on the bike. With 6K it still looks new. No complaints regarding the front. I'm very happy with it's performance wet or dry, street or dirt/gravel.

I hope that helps.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #23982
Goblin10mm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Howdy Virginians!

I just transplanted from Boise, Idaho last week to Spotsylvania Virginia to take a job in your great state. I brought my Idaho plated DRZ400e with me and my WR250f but I'm totally ignorant of what you guys have out here (other than beautifully loamy dirt that's free of massive boulders, rocks, squirrel holes, sand, and silt beds... totally jealous ).

What's there for riding around these parts? Are there any resources any of you could point me towards? In Idaho we had BLM maps of trails and such available online, do you guys have anything like that out here?

A buddy of mine keeps telling me how there's limitless dirt roads and trails to ride around here, but can't exactly point me towards any.

Help out a fellow inmate that's been newly displaced? PM's are cool. Thanks guys!
Old 06-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #23983
tommyhof
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
You Beemer guys would love the show that's on Speed right now. They're training on F800GS's, no Idea what this show is though. It's called Moto Cause :Neale Bayly Rides.
Thanks, just turned in on
COG 6517
tommyhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #23984
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
They've had a couple of segments on over the last few weeks. They're on a mission trip down in Peru to go help out an orphanage. The lady rider is a doctor and she has had her share of spills, but remains a trooper.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #23985
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin10mm View Post
Howdy Virginians!

I just transplanted from Boise, Idaho last week to Spotsylvania Virginia to take a job in your great state. I brought my Idaho plated DRZ400e with me and my WR250f but I'm totally ignorant of what you guys have out here (other than beautifully loamy dirt that's free of massive boulders, rocks, squirrel holes, sand, and silt beds... totally jealous ).

What's there for riding around these parts? Are there any resources any of you could point me towards? In Idaho we had BLM maps of trails and such available online, do you guys have anything like that out here?

A buddy of mine keeps telling me how there's limitless dirt roads and trails to ride around here, but can't exactly point me towards any.

Help out a fellow inmate that's been newly displaced? PM's are cool. Thanks guys!
George washington national forest MVUM (pdf): http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...48572450,d.dmg

Also try the Blue Ridge Trail: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632804

Read the very first post and send error_cooled a pm.