ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 04:39 AM   #24136
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
I'm OK with just a day trip. I think things are going to be wet enough on the easy stuff (Bear Scat/Tower/Alhambra) to keep things interesting but not impossible for any decent adventure tire. I've got a fun route out to 130 and then I would like to hit some of the roads between that and 60, then go up Bear Scat/Tower. From there???
I would like to roll out of town at 8 ish Saturday morning.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #24137
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,892
hey Chuck why don't you come west to meet us ? tonight will be in Alva Oklahoma . the next night we're shooting for Tyrone Oklahoma . from there were cutting down into New Mexico for a hundred miles then back up into Colorado . so far everything's been big bike friendly . check our spot transponder and you'll see where we are at any given time . would love to see you .

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:31 AM   #24138
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
I'm OK with just a day trip. I think things are going to be wet enough on the easy stuff (Bear Scat/Tower/Alhambra) to keep things interesting but not impossible for any decent adventure tire. I've got a fun route out to 130 and then I would like to hit some of the roads between that and 60, then go up Bear Scat/Tower. From there???
I'm in the west end. I'll admit 8 is early for me but I'll try. Where are we meeting up?

jgiacobbe screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 07:30 AM
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #24139
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Anyone riding today?
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #24140
sidi9000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Sidi9000 ..... If your talking about the Anakee 3's ..... hmmmm, marginal at best for what they are talking about. You may be ok if they are staying on Alhambra or even Tower Rd but if they get any rougher than that you better be really good. Why don't you just pack up and head out west with me? Better yet, why don't you just swap wheels with me.

Thats right ..... Im not sure where Im going but I have two weeks off and Im heading west. How far west I get? Im not sure. I know I can be in St Louis in one day and then almost over to Denver the second day. From there who knows. Im thinking Pikes Peak then running over to Utah then up through Wyoming to the Grand Teton's and Yellowstone. If things go well I may even run for the west coast. Push comes to shove I can jump a flight back home and go back later to fetch the bike. If that doesn't work maybe one of you would like to go over and ride it back for me. Anyone interested?

I have been flying over that area for years and I can't keep myself from looking outside and where I would like to ride. Now is my chance.

Anyone up for a ride?
Yeah, I'll go ! Is your back seat comfy Daddy ?
I've been dying to swap them raggedy-ass wire hoops to some wicked mags anyways, can't wait to be chroming them, then my GS be BAWLIN' yo and you'll be like WHAAAAAT !? ;)

Thanks for your input on the tiers !
Wish I would have known you were looking for a travel mate, my buddy just canceled on the Bonneville trip that was planned for the end of this month, just a few days ago. Dang ! When are you leaving ?
sidi9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #24141
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oh, I didn't catch Sidi is on a 1200GS. Like Chuck said, Alhambra and Tower Rd, are doable on that. Wiggins probably is too, but if you are not experienced with it on the rough stuff, then you might be cursing at us on Anakees. Most of the places I was thinking of, I have been on my DL650, but I wouldn't describe it exactly as fun or advisable. Of course that is why I bought my WR.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #24142
ptownjohnny
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Question

I am from Chesapeake , but heading out to Staunton area today , I would like to tag along sat. if you don't mind . what type of bike adventure or dual sport .
ptownjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #24143
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
Already done. I sent them the form today but they haven't sent a confirmation.

So... anybody need a roommate in Greer?

BTW Eddy, I am the guy who "lost" his phone on your GS ride at the Spring Fling.
I'm probably not going to be able to attend this year. But, I have been to Greer for the offroad performance school. I stayed at the super 8 in Greer. It is literally within walking distance of the performance center. It is a super 8, so don't expect the lap of luxury or anything, but it is very nice. Here's the real kicker though, the unadvertised awesomeness of the place. There are 2 coin operated washers and driers on the second floor. So if you ride like me, completely minimalist, its nice to be able to wash your riding stuff, especially after pushing it hard at the performance center all day.
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #24144
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Anyone riding today?
Not me. For whatever reason, Montezuma reared his ugly head this a.m., so I'm staying put. Was supposed to leave for a w/e ride and camping trip about now, but bailed due to this little set back..... which sucks. I really wanted to go.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #24145
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
Bear squat was in bad shape a week or so ago.. Washed out to the point it's on par with the tower road. That was almost two weeks ago but with all the rain I don't reckon it's gotten any better. Still doable on an R-GS, but slowly.

I'm leaving in a few headed to Buggs Island for the rest of the weekend, otherwise I'd ride back out there again.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #24146
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos View Post
I rode today. Traffic picked up on 95 near Maury St around 9am or so. Very productive day for me today . Saw a few ADV stickers and got a few waves among the pissed off people. Life is good!

Ya'll be safe and Guy I'm not sure what is going on with that GPS bro! I thought I had it figured out LOL
One of my friends posted on FB about ya'lls motor officer activity. I had to chuckle and made the assumption that you may have been a part of that.

Actually, you did (thank you). Think I've finally figured out why I continue to get minimal "splatter" while the unit is sitting stationary on the bench in the garage: satellite shift, or whatever else they do to change accuracy.

If I look closely, even with no scale to go by, all of the tracks are within a few feet of the garage. As a test, I took the unit in hand and walked out to my road (~100 feet of the garage), then down to the closest intersection, and back. Sure enough, it "recorded" that.

I'll just keep things hidden and move on.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #24147
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Bear squat was in bad shape a week or so ago.. Washed out to the point it's on par with the tower road. That was almost two weeks ago but with all the rain I don't reckon it's gotten any better. Still doable on an R-GS, but slowly.

I'm leaving in a few headed to Buggs Island for the rest of the weekend, otherwise I'd ride back out there again.
I'm not sure what road is bear Squat road. From the name I'm not sure I should ride through any oddly places mud spots on it though. Hopefully the rain washed away the bear poo.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #24148
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I'm not sure what road is bear Squat road. From the name I'm not sure I should ride through any oddly places mud spots on it though. Hopefully the rain washed away the bear poo.

Chuck/Jerseys name for the f.s. road from the pull off on 60 across from Swamping Camp up to Wiggins Spring.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #24149
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Wake up.

Careful what you say about the TSA RT, you don't want to risk getting too "political" in here! The other ADVers might have a shit-fit
Old 07-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #24150
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Careful what you say about the TSA RT, you don't want to risk getting too "political" in here! The other ADVers might have a shit-fit
There is no debate on the fact that we all feel better after a TSA full body hug, so it is safe to talk about.