ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #24181
Defaultgateway
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
FR 246 off of "Tower Road"

[IMG] photo 08bac4d3-7bbf-412f-8882-f5c3c90bf570_zpsa5b67941.jpg[/IMG]

This is a small portion of 6JUL13 ride with Dr WhipIt, ptownjohnny and defaultgateway, FR 246.
Defaultgateway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #24182
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Saturday Ride.

Saturday was a decent ride. Met up with Ptownjohnny and Defaultgateway. Took some fun pavement out to 130 (Norwood and Galts Mill), then Pera rd to Cedar Creek, Dancing Creek, Beverly Town, Reservoir Roads. Took 60 to Wiggin Spring (Bear Scat) up to Tower. Bear Scat was rougher and muddier than I'd ever experienced. The washes on Tower were like pimples with my new suspenders! We took Wiggin Spring until it was so covered with weeds, you could hardly see what you were riding on. The GPS said there was about a 1/4 mile more road, but we decided against it. Came back down Tower, took a rest at Alhambra, then Alhambra to 56 to 151 to 6 (snooze... but better than 250 or 64).
All in all nothing new or remarkable as far as roads. It was nice to meet up with new-to-me riders. About 60 out of 300 miles in the dirt.

And that's what I did on Saturday Sister Mary Elephant.

(Edit) ^^^That was posted while I was typing^^^
Old 07-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #24183
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 965
Nice ride guys. I need to learn to get schnazzy with maps like that. Probably need to figure out where I put my GPS too.. STILL cannot find the thing. I bet if I buy a new one it pops right up. Hmmm...

Dang Chuck. That was freaking awesome! I guess a guy who is constantly traveling all over does not have to think too much about skipping across a continent like that. Between my amazement at that and nearly getting a chubby from one of Michub's photos I know it is time for me to take a trip again soon. It has been three years since my one and only trip and that was just a lap around WV. Keep on rockin'!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #24184
Cervix_a_lot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Newb question time

When you install oil seals do you use any sort of sealant?
Cervix_a_lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #24185
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervix_a_lot View Post

Not typically. If you are talking gaskets, just put a light coating of clean oil on them to prevent pinching and tearing. Make sure you torque bolts down to equal and correct values for a proper seal. It's wise to tighten bolts down in stages too, not all at once. That will help make sure you get relatively even pressure as you tighten the seal down.

What seals are you replacing exactly? Engine case gaskets? Valve cover?
Old 07-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #24186
Defaultgateway
Adventurer

Installing seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervix_a_lot View Post
Generally speaking, no.
Oil seals are constructed from a steel shell, whose outside diameter is overmolded with an oil resistant rubber. The diameter of this assembly is made to be a force fit into it's receiving hole. The seal must press squarely into this hole, the shell maintains a tight fit with the bore, the rubber seals the minute machining imperfections on the stationary interface.

Some applications do not have a depth stop, while others do. Those that do, press the seal into the bore until it stops against the bore step or internal snap ring. Those that do not, it is usually intended to have the face of the seal to be flush with the bore mouth face. Observe where the old seal was positioned for future reference and make sure the replacement is at the proper depth.

If you don't have the special seal driver to press in the seal, find the largest socket that you have that will just fit in the bore, turn it backwards so the flat socket end touches the seal face, and tap the socket rim with a hammer, taking utmost care that that you start the seal square to the bore. If not, the rubber on the shell may be ripped and now the seal is scrap. Tap at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions, look at the seal, find the high spot, an tap in that area, checking your work to start the seal square in the bore. Once you get a good start, then tap the socket around in a circle, 12, 3, 6, 9, 12 o'clock until it seats, work slowly and carefully, the job can be done.(now, this is the poor man's way of doing things, but pressing tools are expensive, and this way will work if you work with care.)

Garter spring- you may notice that some seals have a circumferential "garter" spring to maintain the seal lip tension to the shaft surface. Seals that retain grease without any pressure usually do not have this, as it is not needed and also spring tension not needed causes more friction.

Sealant: Sealant is not required because the rubber/shell is designed to serve this purpose. If you add sealant, it will be wiped away and collect at the back of the seal, and these bits of congealed sealant with make its way into the oil supply, if used in the engine, and this is always a bad condition.

Seal faces which way? Generally, the seal "lips" point to or face the pressure side. Most seals have one set of sealing contact points, but you may find some with two sealing lips, and usually they are in opposite pairs. For instance, a wheel bearing seal. One set points toward the grease side, keeping lubricant in, and the other set pointing towards the outside environment. Thus keeping water and grit out, lubricant in. Always observe the existing seal orientation to guide you.

Note that a good seal is designed to allow a very small amount of lubricant to leak, thus lubricating the rubbing surfaces.

There are three conditions that are common to a seal failure. When the seal lip to shaft interface do not have the proper pressure(a worn groove in the shaft, an abraded and worn seal lip, excessive leakage occurs. When the shaft bearing has excessive play, the shaft orbits in the seal, and at speed this sets up waves within the rubber and causes local pressure fluxuations at the lip interface, causing leakage. The previous seal installation could have been botched, usually due to a key-way, thread, or some other sharp protuberance on the shaft nicking or tearing the seal lip at installation.

So say you just replaced a seal in a clutch cover and the seal has to travel over some sharp feature of the shaft on its way to its proper position. Use some masking tape or electrical tape or Teflon tape to cover the rough area, making sure to remove it afterwards. (a light application of grease to the outside of the tape to let thins slide. Try to use only a single wrap and a half to keep the outside diameter as small as possible.

The sealing surfaces generally get a LIGHT smear of grease to provide initial lubrication if sealing grease, or if the seal is sealing engine oil, use engine oil, if it is a water pump seal, use anti-freeze. This is the for the moving surfaces, not the bore you pressed the seal in, you usually keep this clean and dry prior to installation.

There are many other types of seals other than radial lip seals we have been discussing here. There are labyrinth seals, o-ring seals, mechanical face seals, and magnetic ferro-fluid seals, just to name a few. But we can save such discussions for later.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #24187
Defaultgateway
Adventurer

6JUL13 George W. Nat Forrest Wiggins Rd

dirt nap by yours truly included....http://vimeo.com/69869973?utm_source...NzMyNzAzMTE%3D
Old 07-08-2013, 02:00 AM   #24188
Defaultgateway
Adventurer

Yup, what he said.... [IMG][/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
Saturday was a decent ride. Met up with Ptownjohnny and Defaultgateway. Took some fun pavement out to 130 (Norwood and Galts Mill), then Pera rd to Cedar Creek, Dancing Creek, Beverly Town, Reservoir Roads. Took 60 to Wiggin Spring (Bear Scat) up to Tower. Bear Scat was rougher and muddier than I'd ever experienced. The washes on Tower were like pimples with my new suspenders! We took Wiggin Spring until it was so covered with weeds, you could hardly see what you were riding on. The GPS said there was about a 1/4 mile more road, but we decided against it. Came back down Tower, took a rest at Alhambra, then Alhambra to 56 to 151 to 6 (snooze... but better than 250 or 64).
All in all nothing new or remarkable as far as roads. It was nice to meet up with new-to-me riders. About 60 out of 300 miles in the dirt.

And that's what I did on Saturday Sister Mary Elephant.

(Edit) ^^^That was posted while I was typing^^^
Old 07-08-2013, 05:27 AM   #24189
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,040
Alright so all the CO talk has got me jonesing for the cool air of the mountains. Haven't got the free time for a run to CO but WV is the next best thing. So anyone up for some gypsy riding / camping the weekend of the 19-21. Thinking about heading west Friday after work, staying somewhere near Stanton, then heading into WVA Saturday (maybe Laural Fork....) then coming back Sunday. All the riding will be loaded so plan on graded gravel nothing to dodgy, but a lot of gravel and a ton of one and two lane chip pave up in the WVA mountains.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:37 AM   #24190
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,924
Dr. Smith I presume?

It was an awesome moment. Joe and I we limping into Trinidad, and I was literally coasting down out of the hills for lack of gas. We pulled into the first gas station we could find, thankful to have made it 268 miles on one tank. 20 seconds after we pull up to the pumps, and while still high 5'ing each other for making it to a gas station, Chuck come riding down the street and pulls up. It was a very "Dr. Livingston, I presume?" moment.

I cannot believe we all started in the same spot. but he rode 1800 miles in 2.5 days to get the same place that we took 14 days and 3365 miles. Hmm. a 750 mile a day average vs our 240 mile average. Wow.

We're taking a day off the road today for some serious maintenance. New rear tires, sleep, changing out the jets in the carbs, and some long overdue laundry. It will be nice to not spend 8-10 hours in the saddle today.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #24191
Jeff Munn

I've ridden in every state but Hawaii, and there isn't a state flatter than Oklahoma. This was the sad remains of someone's farm.

Found this little friend in one of the old buildings. The main house had an owl roosting in the attic.

Joe learning the fine art of fixing a flat on top of a mesa in New Mexico. So far we've had three. One was a rub caused by the rim lock. The other two were nails. His nail was so long it punctured the tube 3 times before he could get to a stop. The rocks were the only thing we could find to keep the bike up to pull the wheel.

So far, of all the states, northern New Mexico has been the most scenic. But I think that is fixing to change once we start up into the Rockies.

jeff

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #24192
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,040
Jeff,

Man I wish I had an Uncle like you when I was that age. The lessons Joe will learn for you on this trip will last him a lifetime. Have fun ride safe, and know everyone back in Richmond is living vicariously through your ride.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:58 AM   #24193
Jeff Munn

Chuck is not feeling well, so he had to call in sick. Does he not look bad?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-08-2013, 06:12 AM   #24194
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Hey Guys,
I hope everyone is having a good weekend. I did another 700+ mile today riding all the way to Dodge City KS. It started out pretty good through St Louis but somewhere near Kansas City the temp went up and the wind started blowing. 100+ on the temp gauge and I swear the winds were 50+ mph. It's the open plains so what did I expect, right?

Anyway .... Tomorrow I'm riding to Trinidad CO to (hopefully) meet Jeff and Joe. They need new tires and I need an oil change so it may just be a MX day. One thing is for sure ..... It's HOT! After that I'm looking forward to altitude and cooler temps in the mountains. Pikes peak is my first destination. From there I'm headed north.

More to come.
Awesome! How long did it take you to get out there? I never thought about just driving out to Colorado to ride as it's so far, but it's nice to see people doing it like it's no big deal.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #24195
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,490
chuck, you are a stud for riding way the hell out there for a sammich with Jeff/Joe. Impressive. Michhub, those are some incredible pictures. wow! Then there's Jeff/Joe.. You guys are making me want to go somewhere.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote