ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #24256
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgwhat View Post
I'm taking my son for a ride on his 15th birthday out to the mountains some where...we are hotelin it
but I think it would be cool for him to see more of the ADV people here, he has met some already and more wouldn't hurt him

just maybe it will wake his ass up and so he can go somewhere in life
Paul, stay on him, and with him..... constantly. Be a part of his life as he goes through these difficult teenage years. Unfortunately, I/we lost the battle with our son. Still trying to figure out why, and what button we missed.

Guy

Old 07-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #24257
StorckWhip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post
Saw this on another forum, wanted to share:

Commonwealth of Virginia: Allow safe lane splitting in traffic and at red lights

http://www.change.org/petitions/comm...-at-red-lights
Nice find. I signed it too.
StorckWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #24258
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgwhat View Post
I'm taking my son for a ride on his 15th birthday out to the mountains some where...we are hotelin it
but I think it would be cool for him to see more of the ADV people here, he has met some already and more wouldn't hurt him

just maybe it will wake his ass up and so he can go somewhere in life
I took my 15 YO on a 4 day ride last year. He lives with his mother in MN and he's glued to his computer and the couch for the most part and happy with that. He does decent in school but for the most part a loner, as was I at his age. I don't know whether it impacted him greatly but he loved the ride. We went to NC, DE, MD, NJ, PA, WV, and back for about 3000 miles off the beaten path. He'd never seen Amish, never camped, or been on a ferry. We went and saw the New River Gorge bridge in WV and many sights along the way. I know he loved it because when I asked him what he wanted to do this summer, he said he wanted to go on another MC trip. Well, his continued sedentary lifestyle, combined with the Earths tug on my (m)ass, would render my 800 unsafe. I'm going to ride up to visit him in August. He claims he's been exercising so we may be able to ride w/o luggage, but my dream would be for him to have his license and MC.
He shows no inclination to get his license. My hope is that he gets a fire under his ass before college rolls around, but while we were on that trip, none of that mattered. We just rode, and it was good.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #24259
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebastard View Post
I hate to burst your bubble but your celebration is premature. The ban is only for 3 days (so far), and even with a permanent ban all I have to do is re-register as you've seen here. You've not gotten rid of me yet. I may have lost this battle, but the war is not over.

Trying to be civil here, but I don't understand and have to ask, “Why a war?”

You have made a number of friends here and (I assume) good riding buddies. Why risk jeopardizing that by alienating them, and antagonizing the whole with this agenda of yours that clearly doesn't belong here? You've been reminded of that several times.

Admittedly, there is injustice everywhere in this world, and there are places to point those out and express your views, however, the Richmond Chatter is not one of them.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #24260
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by StorckWhip View Post
Nice find. I signed it too.
Just do it. I saw lots of that last weekend in NYC.

F*ckers want me to title and register my mopeds now. I Hate the State.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #24261
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 2,844
Puke

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebastard View Post
I hate to burst your bubble but your celebration is premature. The ban is only for 3 days (so far), and even with a permanent ban all I have to do is re-register as you've seen here. You've not gotten rid of me yet. I may have lost this battle, but the war is not over.

Wouldn't want to lay big bucks on that one duder.... just sayin'.......

Richmond is a tough crowd. I moved but still watch.... you ain't getting the reception....might want to ask "what's the frequency"....

And I was told I introduced toooooo much drama.... well, at least I T-O-R'd with a vehemency...

This could be a record.... banning multiple times a newb with their first posting....

Bwaaaaaa haaaaàaa

Did ya happen to notice your new sig shows as banned.... that's cause ip address shows you.... you'll run out of those in short order.

MAN OF BLUES screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 04:54 PM
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #24262
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,890
One of the most well written posts I've ever seen on ADVrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
BB -- I understand and applaud your youthful exuberance, BUT, you are not here to take us anywhere. This is a forum about riding, bikes, and the various things that swirl around those topics. We are a diverse group of many political, religious, and social persuasions. We come together to discuss a narrow topic and enjoy each others company.

ADVrider has just such a place for alternate topics. They do not belong here. Period. When we want to discuss items not related to oil and tire selection, we go to the appropriate forum. As should you. I have very strong opinions when it comes to religion, but I understand that not all folks are comfortable with that discussion, so I take it to a place where it is acceptable. It's called courtesy.

Look, you seem like a decent guy. Very eager to set the world's wrongs right. But this is not your bully pulpit. Please ride with us, discuss bikes with us, and take your sermons to where they belong. I don't think anyone here wants to get the mods to gag you, but I think I speak for everyone when I say that if the politics continue, it will happen.

Now ... what's the best oil to use? (See how easy discussions can be?)
Thank you sir. I could not have written anything as eloquent, heart-felt, non-emotional, and so absolutely spot on, if I had taken a week. It is if you were channeling a whole bunch of us Richmond Riders, or at least me. I come to this forum to get away from all the political, religious, 2nd Amendment, etc stuff that is thrown around on all the news channels. I just want to be with fellow riders, learn new things from them, find new roads, and share a common spirit. That's all. I can ride with anyone as long as they are a decent human being, and don't try to rub their personal opinions in my face.

Thank you for taking the time to look all those words up too.

Jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #24263
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
An old cowboy church at 8900 feet in Colorado. We peaked today at 10700 feet.
Thats awesome Jeff....owning an XRL I'm impressed you guys rode that far but maybe your legs aren't as cramped as mine
I'm headed to Steamboat Springs via the COBDR in September to Rally with the KTM Illuminati....its darn hot in the
valley right now so stay Nord my friend...
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #24264
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Thats awesome Jeff....owning an XRL I'm impressed you guys rode that far but maybe your legs aren't as cramped as mine
I'm headed to Steamboat Springs via the COBDR in September to Rally with the KTM Illuminati....its darn hot in the
valley right now so stay Nord my friend...
Thanks Mike. We are 3515 miles into the trip. Have about 2100 left on the TAT, but also want to go see Bonneville Salt Flats, so we might add another 400 to that for the roundtrip to Wendover, UT.

Yes, my legs are shorter than yours, but then again, you can touch the ground when stopped. I can't. I have to mount and dismount the XR like a horse, stepping on the left peg to get up and down.

The weather here is spectacular. It was so cool today I almost had to put on my rain jacket. Sure beats the 109F we hit in western Oklahoma.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #24265
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Who else here thinks that Jeff is the Chuck Norris of the Richmond motorcycling community?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #24266
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks Mike. We are 3515 miles into the trip. Have about 2100 left on the TAT, but also want to go see Bonneville Salt Flats, so we might add another 400 to that for the roundtrip to Wendover, UT.

Yes, my legs are shorter than yours, but then again, you can touch the ground when stopped. I can't. I have to mount and dismount the XR like a horse, stepping on the left peg to get up and down.

The weather here is spectacular. It was so cool today I almost had to put on my rain jacket. Sure beats the 109F we hit in western Oklahoma.

jeff
Have to laugh at that, as it's the way I have to get on/off my KLR.... and I have lowering links on the bike.

Presents a challenge sometimes when I have the bike loaded down with camping gear. The suspension compresses and I have to be really careful where I have planted the sidestand when getting mounted up; very unstable.

Actually dropped the bike over in Helvetia a couple of w/e ago because of that.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #24267
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
Who else here thinks that Jeff is the Chuck Norris of the Richmond motorcycling community?
+1, following the trip on Facebook. Makes me want to buy soft bags for the WR and some camping gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Have to laugh at that, as it's the way I have to get on/off my KLR.... and I have lowering links on the bike.

Presents a challenge sometimes when I have the bike loaded down with camping gear. The suspension compresses and I have to be really careful where I have planted the sidestand when getting mounted up; very unstable.

Actually dropped the bike over in Helvetia a couple of w/e ago because of that.

I'll admit I can touch the ground but have to do this to get my leg over if I have anything on the rear rack. Also has resulted in me and it falling over numerous times. I think it is a case of "they all do that".
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:46 AM   #24268
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:

jeff
Stop at The Great Saltair for a look. It has a intersting history and a gift shop. Bonneville is cool to visit. I met a guy out there that Burt Monro stayed with his grandfather waiting for the salt to dry. Cheap food in Wendover.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:04 AM   #24269
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,142
here's one way around TSA thieves!!!

http://www.the-barbados-shop.com/del...-pepper-sauce/
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #24270
buckrut1972
H.R. Nightmare

Oddometer: 110
I guess it was worth trying to be nice, funny video...

http://thechive.com/2013/07/10/motor...highway-video/