ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #24421
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,663
Love my Blackbird with a thermarest. The shelf is great on a hammock. The bug net can be used or not its top load. I'll never sleep on the ground when trees are available anymore. I've been comfortable to below 20 degrees.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #24422
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
Dirt

Before you buy a hammock come out to the house and take a nap in some of mine. I swear I think I have one of every brand and type. Find one you like and you're welcome to take it for a trip. Btw that goes for anyone on here. Hammocks and a trial and error thing which can get very expensive.
That's a great offer to try before you buy. some people don't take to it.

Since buying and camping with mine maybe a dozen or so times since last summer I've had a chance to try several much nicers one. I can't tell a ton of difference between them honestly. I think either you can sleep in one or not.. some lay flatter than others, but it's not dramatic. to me.

Blackbird will probably replace this one at some point..
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:06 AM   #24423
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,768
When you sleep in a hammock where do you put your riding gear so that it isn't full of dew, critters etc in the morning?
Old 07-17-2013, 04:31 AM   #24424
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,025
you cover the hammock and gear with a tarp, normally hung over a ridge line above you. It is actually much less cramped then a tent.

This was at the brr ride a few years back. Well below freezing that morning, I was brewing my morning coffee from inside the hammock before climbing out into the cold.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:14 AM   #24425
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
That is one nice setup!
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:14 AM   #24426
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 803
Hammock

Andrew,
I'd like to take you up on your offer. Have always wanted to try a hammock. I already have the tarp. Sounds like a great way to drop the weight and bulk of a tent.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:45 AM   #24427
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,065
Quote:
you cover the hammock and gear with a tarp, normally hung over a ridge line above you. It is actually much less cramped then a tent.

This was at the brr ride a few years back. Well below freezing that morning, I was brewing my morning coffee from inside the hammock before climbing out into the cold.
So just a sleeping bag inside? No need for a pad?
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #24428
HalfPlate
What? Where?

B.E.
That is my winter set-up it consists of: a ENO double nest (no bug net for the winter), JRB under quilt, JRB top quilt, and a Kelty 60 degree down bag used as a pea pod. It would probably work down to 0 but I have only used it down to 20. I don't use pads (to bulky for my pack) but from what I understand they do two things one help keep you warm and two help stop shoulder squeeze. The ENO squeezes you really tight but in the winter I like that, makes me feel snug and warm. During the spring summer and fall I use a JRB Bear Mountain Bridge that lays completely flat and also does not need a pad if you use a under quilt to stay warm. If your nervous about laying flat look into the bridge hammock. It works like a suspension bridge, the hanging lines arch but the "road bed" lays flat as a board.

Jacks are Better (JRB) is a local company based in Yorktown, the two guys that started it are AT hikers but also ride. If you want more info or want to have a look around their "factory" just give them a call. They are supper nice and will have you out for a look around and set you up with everything you need. Plus their stuff is very well made and comfortable.

Skychs,
Any time you want, just let me know. I have a couple ENOs, a Hennessy, and some home made stuff. I only use the JRB now and tent it when it gets cold, so if you find a set-up you like I am always in need of a good Scotch or something.

BTW Hammocks have a following that is crazy. There is an entire forum for nothing but hammocks, and guys can get very opinionated about the subject. From my experance its best to talk to some local guys about, try out some different hammocks, and then start small and cheap untill you decide on your final set-up. Also remember its no cheaper then a good tent, good down bag, and a good sleeping pad, so plan on spending that for a quality set-up.
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
Old 07-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #24429
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,641
Quote:
BTW Hammocks have a following that is crazy...
i've looked at hammocks over the years, but decided to stay with a tent, about 6 lbs. i've camped so many places that have no trees suitable for a hammock, or if trees were nearby, you would end up in dense brush where the bugs would eat you alive. on this last trip, there was only one campsite where it would have been feasible to hang a hammock or hammock/tarp combo, the others, not a chance. i can always find a location to set a tent.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #24430
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,847
+1

I bring both a hammock and a tent when I'm really travelling
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #24431
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,377
For me the beauty of a hammock is in the summer.. small, light to pack and cooler to sleep in than a tent.

Night temps below 50F starts to get chilly for my light setup. At which point I'd go with the tent. At least until I get some sort of underquilt. Then having to bring extra gear/bulk for the hammock narrows the gap between it and tent and I'm not sure it's worth it after that unless you just love hammocks.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #24432
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 652
I had never hear of JRB. I am so excited by a "local" business making this stuff I am sending them an order right now. I support local business whenever I can and I have never had the opportunity to do so for any type of gear. Thanks HP.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #24433
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I had never hear of JRB. I am so excited by a "local" business making this stuff I am sending them an order right now. I support local business whenever I can and I have never had the opportunity to do so for any type of gear. Thanks HP.
I'll have mine with this weekend if you want to test it out before you buy.
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
Old 07-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #24434
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
I'll have mine with this weekend if you want to test it out before you buy.
Too late brother. Considering how many you went through I figured it was going to be close enough. Really supporting a local business made it an easy decision. You can help me get mine setup since it may be dark and I will have never even opened the thing up...
Old 07-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #24435
Defaultgateway
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
2nd option: Satellite Phone

Two choices, spot and delorme

http://www.delorme.com/byIndustry/en...oneworker.aspx
Defaultgateway is offline   Reply With Quote