ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #24526
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Target fixation at it's finest. Big squeeze on the front brake, NO STEERING input despite time to swerve to either direction. Scary hard hit! He walked away with no injuries....only a massive lawsuit for smacking into the Camaro! Can you say "My back will hurt until your insurance company writes me a fat check!"

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2013/07/21/vo-newday-motorcycle-crash-on-tape.cnn
That camaro did not want to give up that sweet parking spot.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #24527
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 855
Weekend Video

Dan ......
I'm glad your feeling a little better. It was kind-of scary watching it happen in front of me but you can't blame it on me this time. I wasn't wearing my GoPro. The rider in front of me DID have his on. Hmmmmm He actually did a very good job stopping before he ran into you and your bike. Just saying .... Heal fast my friend.

I got the K60 mounted on the GS today. It really is a nice tire. Im looking forward to taking it back off road soon. No more Karoo3's for me.

Andrew, thanks again for all the effort this weekend.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #24528
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
You may have just let off the gas too soon. I am surprised you didn't learn from my Dolly Sods mistake/mishap..
Learned and improved on it. Yours was pathetic compared to mine.

Not the tires. (or the gopro ) I don't really like real knobs on hardpack dirt/gravel. Those 700's are great gravel road tires. Overinflated some to compensate for load.. otherwise terrific.

You said "You can't half ass it".. and that's the key. Have to commit. Sitting flat assed on the bike, slouching, belly hanging out, elbows drooping, not shifting your weight and simply twisting the throttle.. that's not really riding it. I am extremely guilty of that. Todd Zacker once said catching me up on the pegs or leaning into a turn was like spotting a big foot. That TZ is a bastard, but he got me there.

This is my first crash of consequence since 98.. Easily > 100k miles since then. a lot of miles on gravel too. and a lot of half assing it.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #24529
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Hmm, I'll have to start trying to stand on the bike in hard turns more. I find myself using the leg off approach if it's a tighter turn. I don't know how I'd feel the I started to lose the bike in a turn while standing up. I like being able to drop a foot down if need be. I have it all wrong.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #24530
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Target fixation at it's finest. Big squeeze on the front brake, NO STEERING input despite time to swerve to either direction. Scary hard hit! He walked away with no injuries....only a massive lawsuit for smacking into the Camaro! Can you say "My back will hurt until your insurance company writes me a fat check!"

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2013/07/21/vo-newday-motorcycle-crash-on-tape.cnn
WTF? Learn to swerve. Stupid hipster.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #24531
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,036
For some reason I am on a bit of a soap box

We all spend a lot of time tring to find the "right" tire, suspension, etc etc. Honestly in my experience I have yet to out ride a tourance on my GS. What I am getting at is I spent a ton of time and money trying to mask my lack of riding skill with bike improvements. Just ask Greenfly about my Strom, that thing was decked out to the nines but I still sucked at riding it. It wasn't until I really slowed down and watched riders I admire that I realized I had a lot of work to do and it wasn't on the bike. Now that's not to say tires and such don't make it easier but honestly a good 50/50 tire is easier to learn on because the speed and pressure at which it breaks lose is lower and they tend to be more predictable. Remember if you get a TKC spinning and it hits a rock its going to stop spinning in a hurry, it what its designed to do. If anything put a TKC (or one like it) on the front and a 50/50 on the rear, that way you let the bike compensate for the riders inexperience in weighting the front and de-weighting the rear. The difference in traction abilities of the tires for act like the weight transfer, but be warned if you do this and transfer your weight you will get over exaggerated results. IE the back is going to be loser (lighter) then it should be in relation to the front.

......Make sense

Also chase some good riders from time to time and ask them to show you how they do what they do, notice I said good riders not just fast ones. If your really lucky and find a good rider with your same bike and tires, you can play the old game of if he can do it so can I. If you get the chance chase Greenfly he is amazing to watch, he leads that KTM like it is his high school sweet heart. Its like watching a rider ride to classical music instead of heavy metal, but he is very quick so be on your toes or your will not be able to see much.

One last thing and than I am done, If your standing and counter leaning (weighting the outside peg) and the bike does decide to take a little nappy most of the time you end up literally landing on your feet.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi

HalfPlate screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 02:41 PM
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #24532
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
I like being able to drop a foot down if need be.
Not really why you should be kicking that leg out but it does work in a pinch on a WR, now do that on a loaded big bike and you can just about kiss that foot goodbye.
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
Old 07-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #24533
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
I find that the whole leg out thing is actually a more advanced way to de-weight the rear / weight the front and most adventure riders really need to focus on standing...
I once watched a friend slam his foot down in a tight curve while riding his 550 lb FJ12.. rear stepped out and he swears he saved it with the foot. I called bs.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #24534
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
I once watched a friend slam his foot down in a tight curve while riding his 550 lb FJ12.. rear stepped out and he swears he saved it with the foot. I called bs.
Yea and I have heard stories of car accidents where people say the only reason they lived was because they werent wearing a seat belt. If its not repeatable I wouldn't trust it.
The real question I would ask your FJR buddy would be did he intentionally plant his foot to resolve a balance issue or did he freak out and slam his foot down? Once your out of control all bets are off and you can do whatever you want to save your life or bike, the real skill is not getting yourself into the position. If your out of control your not riding your being ridden, and I hate to be ridden .

*Sorry for that send me to the basement for time out* See Blooch that's what the duck tape is for.
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
Old 07-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #24535
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Not really why you should be kicking that leg out but it does work in a pinch on a WR, now do that on a loaded big bike and you can just about kiss that foot goodbye.
Sticking that leg out may cost you an ACL + surgery + enough money to buy a nice new bike. DAMHIK
Old 07-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #24536
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Hmm, I'll have to start trying to stand on the bike in hard turns more. I find myself using the leg off approach if it's a tighter turn. I don't know how I'd feel the I started to lose the bike in a turn while standing up. I like being able to drop a foot down if need be. I have it all wrong.
Same here. Five years of poorly placed building blocks just toppled and made a mess If there is going to be more standing then I am going to have to move the bars up and forward. And I thought I was done spending on the DR. Probably going to have to start riding with that skinnier stock seat too. Actually, now that I think of it I believe I sometimes get more lean angle with a leg out than I would be able to achieve with a foot still on that peg. The bike just feels really low sometimes and I don't know how I could be standing on that inside peg. I do want to try standing with the weight forward to unload the rear. I guess I won't need as much lean angle if the front has more traction and is working harder and the rear is sill coming around. We should have started this conversation Friday...
Old 07-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #24537
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
The real question I would ask your FJR buddy would be did he intentionally plant his foot to resolve a balance issue or did he freak out and slam his foot down?
Don't even need to ask. He spazzed out, threw that foot down and he wouldn't bother to lie about it.

It's probably a habit that people have from riding little trailies and bicycles.. you can pivot your ct70 like that no problem. I can do it on the DR at low/no speeds.. put my foot down dump the clutch and spin in a circle to turn around on a tight trail. riding at speed it's just a bad habit that will tear up your knee.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #24538
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,933
Now that we have finished saying it is the rider and not the bike, tires and etc, Skychs, which front are you running with the K60? I'm getting the urge to use something more expensive than a Shinko 705 on the front of the 650. Nothing against the Shinko but it has abut 10k on it and has little cracks around the blocks and funny V shaped cupping on the top of the blocks.

jgiacobbe screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 03:26 PM Reason: bad but funny spelling
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #24539
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Had a friend plant a foot in 3rd gear on a YZ250Wr at Chester X sandy play area 10 yrs ago ~ cost him his acl, he had to have a cadaver installed.

The 73 Harley Davidson BAJA 100 I rode as a kid ~ standing was mandatory most of the time. I often stand in heavy traffic on Jeff Davis ~ Scares the heck out of the locals.
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #24540
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,332
You know you are trouble when you are on the brakes and it

Goes from rough to smooth

output with no input

and finally change in horizon (aka your on your butt)