ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #24601
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I bought the Rangers(big)...
I had same thinking re: the wolfman setup. Nice but spendy. If I were going round the world or TAT - maybe. Even then probably still just as well off with dirtbagz. not water proof but maybe easier to live with. Simple on/off vs wolfman and easier to dig into when packed up.

ribs still tender, but better. Seems like they got worse for two days after.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #24602
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post

ribs still tender, but better. Seems like they got worse for two days after.
That's the beauty of muscles & bruising...two days later you wonder what you did as you try to pull your old lame ass out of bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #24603
deerslayR
Spodely Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,020
Old Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Mission accomplished. Finished the entire TAT today with a ride into the Pacific at Port Orford, Oregon.......

...Tomorrow we begin the prep for Joe and his Dad to make the return trip. Oil and filter changes, tire changes, small fairings added, and transfer of the tools and parts. I fly home Friday morning, and they head back to Virginia via Highway 50, the Loneliest Road in America. I can't believe Joe is willing to ride that XR home on the highway. It was painful enough as it was at 25-35 mph!
That's because Joe has an 18 y/o bum and yours is on the flabby side of 50.

TCSMC: teamhammer.org

"I'm a choker!" ask me how

"They're ALL dirt bikes.....some work better than others"-----Harley Huey
deerslayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #24604
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayR View Post
No. It is because Joe is 18 and has never ridden anything else. He doesn't know better. I do. Self inflicted pain is the worst kind of pain, unless you kinda like it. I didn't think I did.

But then again, we did call this the SKS Tour for a reason. It does take a "Special Kinda Stupid" to ride 6300 miles on a thumper, on dirt and gravel roads, at 25 mph.

Okay, guilty as charged. I should have ridden home.

jeff

and oh, my bum ain't on the flabby side anymore. I lost 8 lbs on the trip and my buns are like steel now.....

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:58 AM   #24605
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayR View Post

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:29 AM   #24606
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 11,702
Good Morning everyone!

Guy Young, you got mail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #24607
Jeff Munn

Thanks - where credit is due

Now that I'm back, I want to publicly thank a couple of guys who really helped with my trip. I mean, had a MAJOR impact on it.

First is Bloochdog (Loftus), for graciously giving me his extra spot and explaining just what it would do. I've seen others talk about the SPOT transponder, but I didn't really understand what the big deal was. Now I do. It allowed Joe's entire family (and extended family) to actively (in 10 minute increments) ride along with us, and to finally go to bed at night when we sent the "all safe" message. I had no idea that people would be watching us so closely, or that it would give them such a feeling of being connected to us, and knowing we were safe. Thanks Blooch. I owe you big-time.

Second is B.E. Coyote. (Brian). He and I have ridden together for thousands of miles, and he planned on doing the TAT too. As a back-up to the Roll Charts we purchased from Sam Correro, he manually entered about every 3rd directional point into Garmin, so I could have a back-up to Joe's navigating with the roll charts. That small act (well it was no small act because I'll bet it took him days to do it all) saved our asses over and over again. Navigation with the roll charts is a real challenge, but with those backup points, I could at least get us back to a known point no matter how lost we were. It was a life-saver, literally, when we were deep in the Nevada desert. Sam now sells the entire TAT in digital format for GPS, so I would encourage you to buy it if you are planning on doing the TAT. The roll charts are old school, and I loved that Joe used them, but the digital backup is a fantastic safety net.

When I get back some normalcy in my life, I'll start trying to put together the hundreds of GoPro Videos I took on the trip, into one coherent (and fairly succinct) video. Then I will host a ADV get-together if anyone wants to see what the TAT is all about.

It is good to be home. Joe and his Dad are crossing Nevada today on the "Loneliest Road in America". They should be back in about 9 more days. We converted the bikes to highway use by adding fairings to them, and apparently they are loving them.

Cheers,
jeff

Old 07-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #24608
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Then I will host a ADV get-together if anyone wants to see what the TAT is all about.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #24609
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Tat

Then I will host a ADV get-together if anyone wants to see what the TAT is all about.

Sue and I would love to attend your movie night, please keep us in mind.

kwn306 screwed with this post 07-27-2013 at 03:00 PM
kwn306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #24610
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,513
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #24611
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
I hope to be riding the TAT this time next year, so definitely count me in.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #24612
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
Hey everyone...

I have got the final set of links for my trip. I'll be leaving on July 3, and hopefully returning. I expect the trip to take 3-4 weeks.

Link One. GPS Spot. This link updates every 10 minutes. It is just a dot on the map showing where I was last. This should run 24/7 (except when I am changing the batteries).

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...l0pPgb28EyW3ju

Two links to Flickr. This will show the pictures taken from a statically mounted camera on the motorcycle. This will update in near real time as I travel... as the pictures are captured they will be automatically uploaded with GPS-Tags and you can see daily what I am seeing :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49616329@N05/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4961632...rder_by=recent

I have a gimic for my traveles... once a day I will be 'accidentally' running over a Dora the Explorer doll. Look for that picture daily and Smile! .. I am having a good time.

Smiles,
Karl

Hey... I am having a good time. I am re-posting this for Todd... the last link is the one that shows the map. I have had quite a bit of IT issues.. specifically GPS's dropping out... like not working any more... go figure.

I have a work around so things are not near real time until I get yet another GPS to try... this time I am trying a Megellin... maybe that will be more reliable.

Be home in 9 days :)

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #24613
Jeff Munn

Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
Hey... I am having a good time. I am re-posting this for Todd... the last link is the one that shows the map. I have had quite a bit of IT issues.. specifically GPS's dropping out... like not working any more... go figure.

I have a work around so things are not near real time until I get yet another GPS to try... this time I am trying a Megellin... maybe that will be more reliable.

Be home in 9 days :)
Hey Karl! You just missed my brother-in-law and my nephew. They just called me and they spent last night in Ely. They are heading east in the next hour on highway 50. So if you saw two XR650's with fairings on them, that was my family on the return trip!

You are just getting into the hard part of the ride. Carry a lot of water when you do the section from McDermitt to Denio Junction. It took us almost 4 hours to do that 67 miles. You will get lost at least once. The next section after that, from Denio Junction to Lakeview, was where we snapped Joe's frame. Oh, there is no gas at Denio Junction. Have fun!

jeff

Old 07-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #24614
Jeff Munn

Good luck Chuck

Good seeing you and Linda this morning. Good luck and safe riding to Indianapolis(?). Kick butt and we'll see you back here in five weeks.

Can't wait for that promotion party......

jeff

Old 07-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #24615
Jersey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I saw this coasting in from europe this morn about 50 miles north of goose bay at 38000 feet wondering if this is the trans-lab.

Jersey screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 11:26 AM
Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote