ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #24616
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey View Post
I saw this coasting in from europe this morn about 50 miles north of goose bay at 38000 feet wondering if this is the trans-lab.
If the wind is not blowing down there it looks like mosquitoes would carry you away.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #24617
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Installed an Odyssey Battery in the GS the other day and had to shave the fins off for it to fit. Sits a little high but was able to get the seat on without anything getting pinched. Anyway, she cranks now and no more sluggish starts!

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #24618
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,745
If you ever ride in DC here's your chance to speak up

Motorcycle Feedback Questionaire - survey closes at midnight 17 Aug 2013

Survey on dangers, conditions, and asking for suggestions on making the ride safer. Doesn't matter if you live in DC, just if you ever ride there.

I suggested including safe behavior around motorcycles in the driver's ed and legalizing filtering/lane splitting with a publicity campaign to make cagers aware of it.

Also there's an optional drawing for one of three $100 gift cards
Old 07-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #24619
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post
If you ever ride in DC here's your chance to speak up

Motorcycle Feedback Questionaire - survey closes at midnight 17 Aug 2013

Survey on dangers, conditions, and asking for suggestions on making the ride safer. Doesn't matter if you live in DC, just if you ever ride there.

I suggested including safe behavior around motorcycles in the driver's ed and legalizing filtering/lane splitting with a publicity campaign to make cagers aware of it.

Also there's an optional drawing for one of three $100 gift cards

It'd be nice to see VDOT do a survey like that

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #24620
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
[QUOTE=southwade;21978407]If you ever ride in DC here's your chance to speak up

I all ready gave them my 0.02 worth, now I am broke, maybe I'll win a $100 gift card

I agree, Virginia needs to do the same survey.................I've got plenty of ideas and thought's for them.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #24621
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Hey Ere'body...

I'm riding to MN next Monday morning and I'm going by way of 250 from Richmond (the "end" of 250, according to Wikipedia) to Sandusky OH (the beginning) just for the hell of it. I'm planning on taking 3 days to get to MN and I'm taking the ferry from Muskegon to Millwaukee. I put some stock skins back on the 800GS (quite the handling difference from TKC's) and I'm ready to go. If anyone wants to tag along, even if just for the first day, just let me know. It should be a hoot until Wooster OH, then it's mid-western dullsville from there. Camping for the two nights is the plan unless it's raining.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #24622
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,014
What's in the Barn? On Velocity

If any of you haven't seen it, I just caught an episode. Hosted by Dale Walksler of Wheels Thru Time fame. On Velocity Channel on Tuesdays at 10 pm. It is a great show if you like old bikes and their restoration.

Hope this isn't 205, but I've been gone a while.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #24623
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
If any of you haven't seen it, I just caught an episode. Hosted by Dale Walksler of Wheels Thru Time fame. On Velocity Channel on Tuesdays at 10 pm. It is a great show if you like old bikes and their restoration.

Hope this isn't 205, but I've been gone a while.

jeff
Thanks Jeff! I haven't seen it (10pm is pretty late for me). I'm not even sure if we get Velocity anymore, but I'd love to see the show. Dale is an awesome guy. He took 20 minutes of his time to show my son a couple of bikes at his museum, and let him start one.

By the way, welcome home!

- Jimmy
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:26 AM   #24624
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,014
Dale Walksler and the Wheels Thru Time Museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMN8R View Post
Thanks Jeff! I haven't seen it (10pm is pretty late for me). I'm not even sure if we get Velocity anymore, but I'd love to see the show. Dale is an awesome guy. He took 20 minutes of his time to show my son a couple of bikes at his museum, and let him start one.

By the way, welcome home!

- Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy. I second your opinion of Dale. When Joe and I walked up in full MX gear on a very hot day (everyone else there was in T-shirts and do-rags), he immediately asked us what kind of ride we were on. Well you can imagine Joe's delight in telling him. He then walked us in and told the ticket lady we were his personal guests, and comp'd us into the museum. Spend several minutes talking to us and walking us around. He is a great showman/salesman and that museum is the best MC museum I've ever seen.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #24625
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
I'm riding to MN next Monday morning and I'm going by way of 250 from Richmond (the "end" of 250, according to Wikipedia) to Sandusky OH (the beginning) just for the hell of it. I'm planning on taking 3 days to get to MN and I'm taking the ferry from Muskegon to Millwaukee. I put some stock skins back on the 800GS (quite the handling difference from TKC's) and I'm ready to go. If anyone wants to tag along, even if just for the first day, just let me know. It should be a hoot until Wooster OH, then it's mid-western dullsville from there. Camping for the two nights is the plan unless it's raining.
250 across VA and WV is a great ride. take time to check out the covered bridge in Philippi, WV

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #24626
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
welcome back

Jeff,

Welcome back and congrats on completing your BIG XC ADVENTURE!! You and Joe are awesome and I look forward to the ADV Gathering to celebrate!

PS, Those VOOODOOO doughnuts look tasty...
Old 07-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #24627
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
250 across VA and WV is a great ride. take time to check out the covered bridge in Philippi, WV
Agree. If on 250, you can't miss it.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #24628
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Today is last day of TAT

Hey..

Today is my last day on the TAT. I have had to cheat some of it to stay on schedule however I have had a great time.

I got schooled in the sand in central Oregon yesterday. Today I will skip to the last section or two and arrive at the coast this afternoon/evening. Then a B-Line home.

My photo project was part of my trip and it cost me quite a few days worth of riding with IT problems.. but I have fun doing that also so no complaints ;). Plus, I have quite a few shots of the trail.. up to several thousand on the map now. I'll have to figure out the order issue when I get home.. but it's nice to have the one pic per minute on the parts of the trail I was able to ride..

I am thinking I am just saving the other parts for next year !

See yall soon.

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #24629
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Now that I'm back, I want to publicly thank a couple of guys who really helped with my trip. I mean, had a MAJOR impact on it.

First is Bloochdog (Loftus), for graciously giving me his extra spot and explaining just what it would do. I've seen others talk about the SPOT transponder, but I didn't really understand what the big deal was. Now I do. It allowed Joe's entire family (and extended family) to actively (in 10 minute increments) ride along with us, and to finally go to bed at night when we sent the "all safe" message. I had no idea that people would be watching us so closely, or that it would give them such a feeling of being connected to us, and knowing we were safe. Thanks Blooch. I owe you big-time.

Second is B.E. Coyote. (Brian). He and I have ridden together for thousands of miles, and he planned on doing the TAT too. As a back-up to the Roll Charts we purchased from Sam Correro, he manually entered about every 3rd directional point into Garmin, so I could have a back-up to Joe's navigating with the roll charts. That small act (well it was no small act because I'll bet it took him days to do it all) saved our asses over and over again. Navigation with the roll charts is a real challenge, but with those backup points, I could at least get us back to a known point no matter how lost we were. It was a life-saver, literally, when we were deep in the Nevada desert. Sam now sells the entire TAT in digital format for GPS, so I would encourage you to buy it if you are planning on doing the TAT. The roll charts are old school, and I loved that Joe used them, but the digital backup is a fantastic safety net.

When I get back some normalcy in my life, I'll start trying to put together the hundreds of GoPro Videos I took on the trip, into one coherent (and fairly succinct) video. Then I will host a ADV get-together if anyone wants to see what the TAT is all about.

It is good to be home. Joe and his Dad are crossing Nevada today on the "Loneliest Road in America". They should be back in about 9 more days. We converted the bikes to highway use by adding fairings to them, and apparently they are loving them.

Cheers,
jeff
Awesome trip Jeff. Glad I could help

Little Brian and I just got back from our own trip. Upper Peninsula camping and up to Ely Minnesota to see the Wolf center. He swam in 4 of the 5 great lakes and had a ball.

I'll be up at camp this weekend if you are around the farm.

This dog completed the ididarod as the lead dog.
B.E. Coyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #24630
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,057
The photo capturing IS very cool. I finally got a chance to look at your SPOT and some of the photos. Happy Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
Hey..

Today is my last day on the TAT. I have had to cheat some of it to stay on schedule however I have had a great time.

I got schooled in the sand in central Oregon yesterday. Today I will skip to the last section or two and arrive at the coast this afternoon/evening. Then a B-Line home.

My photo project was part of my trip and it cost me quite a few days worth of riding with IT problems.. but I have fun doing that also so no complaints ;). Plus, I have quite a few shots of the trail.. up to several thousand on the map now. I'll have to figure out the order issue when I get home.. but it's nice to have the one pic per minute on the parts of the trail I was able to ride..

I am thinking I am just saving the other parts for next year !

See yall soon.