ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #24631
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Brian, very cool pics. The little guy is lucky to get to see so many different places.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #24632
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
Hey..

Today is my last day on the TAT. I have had to cheat some of it to stay on schedule however I have had a great time.

I got schooled in the sand in central Oregon yesterday. Today I will skip to the last section or two and arrive at the coast this afternoon/evening. Then a B-Line home.

My photo project was part of my trip and it cost me quite a few days worth of riding with IT problems.. but I have fun doing that also so no complaints ;). Plus, I have quite a few shots of the trail.. up to several thousand on the map now. I'll have to figure out the order issue when I get home.. but it's nice to have the one pic per minute on the parts of the trail I was able to ride..

I am thinking I am just saving the other parts for next year !

See yall soon.
So the obvious question on the photo project is......

Are you going to turn all the photos into a timelapse video using something like ffmpeg? I keep meaning to do that for a short trail ride with a photo every 2 seconds or so just to see how it would come out.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #24633
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Awesome trip Jeff. Glad I could help

Little Brian and I just got back from our own trip. Upper Peninsula camping and up to Ely Minnesota to see the Wolf center. He swam in 4 of the 5 great lakes and had a ball.

I'll be up at camp this weekend if you are around the farm.

This dog completed the ididarod as the lead dog.
Yup, little Brian is a lucky kid. Can't wait until he starts riding with you. I know he loved that Wolf Center!

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #24634
Jeff Munn

Quote:
Hey..

Today is my last day on the TAT. I have had to cheat some of it to stay on schedule however I have had a great time.

I got schooled in the sand in central Oregon yesterday. Today I will skip to the last section or two and arrive at the coast this afternoon/evening. Then a B-Line home.

I am thinking I am just saving the other parts for next year !

See yall soon.
From what I heard on the road, that last section of Nevada and first section of Oregon beats everyone up pretty badly. Joe broke his frame 50 miles west of Denio Junction. With the time for the welding and the temperatures, we had to skip the last 80 miles of Nevada, and the first part of Oregon to get to Lakeview on schedule. But we did pick it up from there.

Can't wait to see the pics and compare stories. I want to hear your impression of the High Alpine Loop in Colorado.

jeff

Old 07-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #24635
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
4th Annual Man Weekend

So I'm headed to "Man Weekend" with my brother in law, nephews and their college buddies this coming weekend. We're going to be staying in a cabin in the George Washington National Forest north of Pembroke,VA. The folks shuttling us for the Canoe/Kayak trips on Saturday and Sunday are Tangent Outfitters out of Pembroke. We're doing Trip 6 (Eggelston to Pembroke) on Saturday then hiking to the Cascade Falls and Trip 7 (Pembroke to Bluff City-class II-III rapids) on Sunday.

http://www.newrivertrail.com/node/1

Has anyone done these stretches of the New River? Just wondering what to expect for my Kayaking Adventure.TIA.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #24636
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
So the obvious question on the photo project is......

Are you going to turn all the photos into a timelapse video using something like ffmpeg? I keep meaning to do that for a short trail ride with a photo every 2 seconds or so just to see how it would come out.

Yes inddedie :)

Because I only uploaded images with GPS coords... I have more to add to the picture sequence composition. I had more issues with GPS staying up than any other item... and this is the last thing I expected.

I'll have it up in about two weeks... I'll be sure to post the link.

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #24637
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
From what I heard on the road, that last section of Nevada and first section of Oregon beats everyone up pretty badly. Joe broke his frame 50 miles west of Denio Junction. With the time for the welding and the temperatures, we had to skip the last 80 miles of Nevada, and the first part of Oregon to get to Lakeview on schedule. But we did pick it up from there.

Can't wait to see the pics and compare stories. I want to hear your impression of the High Alpine Loop in Colorado.

jeff
There are two sections of Colorado I skipped... the first one I missed completely as I was focused on my project.. that'd be the section arriving in Salida. I think it is only the 30 miles into Salida I skipped... I missed the exit and then said screw it like 20 minutes past the turn north. The next section I skipped was like the 8 miles on the last pass heading down into Ouray. I was so beat up after coming down off Enginerring Pass (the gravel and the steep slopes) than when I saw Silverton 'this way'... I skipped that last peak that comes out on the million dollar highway.

I am not sure of the section of the 'High Alpine Pass' by name... so you know know the two sections I skipped... Where is that pass section exactly?

Ouray is about my favorite place ever btw... Good Times there!

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:57 AM   #24638
Jeff Munn

Quote:

I am not sure of the section of the 'High Alpine Pass' by name... so you know know the two sections I skipped... Where is that pass section exactly?

Ouray is about my favorite place ever btw... Good Times there!
The High Alpine "Loop" (my bad) is the jeep trail that runs in a big loop from Lake City, to Animas Forks, to Silverton, to Ouray, and back to Lake City. It is about 65 miles total, and requires a 4x4 vehicle for most of it. They specifically designate that an AWD SUV is not sufficient because it lacks the low gearing and high clearances necessary. The jeep forums recommend two days to negotiate it.

Our part of the TAT took us from Lake City, west and up Cinnamon Pass (elev 12,640'), then down to Animas Forks (elev. 11,200'), then up to California Pass (elev. 12,930'), and out to the Million Dollar Highway via Corkscrew Pass (elev. 12,600). Corkscrew Pass, in my humble opinion, was the scariest thing I've ever done on two wheels. Steep downhill, at least 4 180 degree switchbacks on dirt and loose rock, sheer drop-offs, and so loose that at times we could not stop the bikes, literally, because even with full brake lock on both wheels, they would keep sliding downhill on the trail. But I'm sure you experienced that.

jeff

Jeff Munn screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 07:16 AM
Old 07-31-2013, 08:27 AM   #24639
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,174
American Legion Post 354 Crab Feast

http://www.legioncrabfeast.com/

Anyone local planning on attending this evening?

Old 07-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #24640
tg4360
Misfit Toy

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos View Post
I feel the love. No harm no foul. Been a while since you wrote a VUS LOL. I had to edit what I typed as I guess it came across wrong.
Chris! I wasn't talking about YOU!

But you probably have met a few of the types I'm talking about....

Every Department has them and they all make cops look bad.

TG
tg4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #24641
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
http://www.legioncrabfeast.com/

Anyone local planning on attending this evening?

I'll be riding by there on my way home from work, but won't be stopping in this year. I have 5 trucks, 4 of which are broken right now. 2 atv's,1 of which is broken right now. 2 lawnmowers, 1 of which is broken right now.

Got to get the a/c working in the garage tonight!

SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:12 PM   #24642
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMN8R View Post
I'll be riding by there on my way home from work, but won't be stopping in this year. I have 5 trucks, 4 of which are broken right now. 2 atv's,1 of which is broken right now. 2 lawnmowers, 1 of which is broken right now.

Could be worse. You appear to have one of almost everything working. Should be reasonably cool this evening to work on the AC too. The fact you view all the trucks, ATVs and mowers that are broken as needing to be fixed reassures me that your not a hoarder either.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #24643
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMN8R View Post

So, it's also ..... broken right now.... too.

Good luck with it.

I've got a ticket, but this balance issue told me to stay put. The rain shower also put a cap on it.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #24644
SnoreMachine
ɹǝdɯɐɔ ʞɔoɯɯɐɥ

Oddometer: 50
Richmond Va chatter

I'm cleaning a few things out to make room. Thought I'd list the items here locally before posting them for sale. PM me if you are interested.

updated: Found good homes for a majority of the items. I plan in putting the remaining items up for sale in Advrider's or Hammockforum's marketplaces.

Please let me know if you need stuff sacks or other bags. I have a bag of bags. Silnyon stuff sacks, rolltop bags, Event compression sacks, silnylon and regular compression bags, mesh bags and a mess of odd bags, bag liners, etc..

Thanks.
“We don't need to shift our responsibilities onto the shoulders of some deified Spiritual Superman... we simply need to believe in the power that's within us, and use it.” ― Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

SnoreMachine screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 09:09 AM
SnoreMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #24645
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,183
LOL !!! Yeah I've met more then my share in my short time at work. Heck I saw a few on 295 today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg4360 View Post
Chris! I wasn't talking about YOU!

But you probably have met a few of the types I'm talking about....

Every Department has them and they all make cops look bad.

TG