ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #24736
DrGo
n.G.u

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
I guess this was the weekend to rail ride, eh? I've been slabbing it all day but northern Ohio and Michigan are flat and straight so you may as well burn it. Took the high speed ferry across lake Michigan anx met a guy from Massachusetts who is going to Sturgis. Wound up camping within earshot of a freeway. At least if it was a KOA there would be showers for my stinky self!
I'd type more but I'm doing this from my phone.
How was the ferry? I've heard things about it when I was in Michigan going up to the UP. How was the traffic and roads on the Milwaukee side? Was it easy to get out of the city area? Do you have to bring your own tie downs or are they provided?

Look forward to the next installment.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #24737
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,833
Quote:
I guess this was the weekend to rail ride, eh? I've been slabbing it all day but northern Ohio and Michigan are flat and straight so you may as well burn it. Took the high speed ferry across lake Michigan anx met a guy from Massachusetts who is going to Sturgis. Wound up camping within earshot of a freeway. At least if it was a KOA there would be showers for my stinky self!

Ride on with your stinky self! Hope to hear some of your stories while around the camp fire.

"I despise you and want my refrigerator magnet back!" - VB Divers ex-girlfriend
bloochdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #24738
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,626
Quote:

(so does this fancy phone of yours not have a built in camera? where's the pics!? )
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #24739
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,276
2013 Shenandoah 500: Clear your calendars for Oct 5/6th! If you even think that you want to go, register on Friday 8/16, it fills up superfast! http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907441

***I have already made reservations for a water/electric site and was planning on staying in a tent. If 2-3 of you are interested, I can consider dragging my travel trailer up there if you would be willing to help with gas. (A/C, heat, refridgerator, huge awning, private bathroom, real beds, less to carry on your bike, can't hear late night shennanigans going on outside at 2:00 am, etc!)

Also, don't forget about flat track racing on the 24th, Andrew is the only one who wanted in on my skybox plans so that idea is done. I am willing to split a 4,6, or 10 man box with you!
http://www.colonialdowns.com/motorcycle-race/

Lastly, I am thinking of heading west after work on Friday the 16th or very early Saturday and riding gravel all day Saturday and returning to Richmond by dark, any and all are welcome.

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 08-07-2013 at 01:58 PM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #24740
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
2013 Shenandoah 500: Clear your calendars for Oct 5/6th! If you even think that you want to go, register on Friday 8/16, it fills up superfast! http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907441

***I have already made reservations for a water/electric site and was planning on staying in a tent. If 2-3 of you are interested, I can consider dragging my travel trailer up there if you would be willing to help with gas. (A/C, heat, refridgerator, huge awning, private bathroom, real beds, less to carry on your bike, can't hear late night shennanigans going on outside at 2:00 am, etc!)

Also, don't forget about flat track racing on the 24th, Andrew is the only one who wanted in on my skybox plans so that idea is done. I am willing to split a 4,6, or 10 man box with you!
http://www.colonialdowns.com/motorcycle-race/

Lastly, I am thinking of heading west after work on Friday the 16th or very early Saturday and riding gravel all day Saturday and returning to Richmond by dark, any and all are welcome.
I'm VERY interested in the 500. I just read through the thread but didn't see the registration fee? How much, and how many people are allowed in? And do you ride as one big group or do you get a map and are on your own or what? This sounds right up my alley and is far enough out where I can probably book the weekend.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #24741
SplitLanesLikeMOSES

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post

I wrecked the shit out of my moto 2 months ago and have rebuild/revamped the entire bike. It will be ready end of next week(90% sure). I plan on going west for the weekend and stopping at Morton's to buy some new Gerbings on Sale sometime Saturday. If the bike is ready, I plan on leaving out of New Kent Friday no later than 5:00. All depends on the bike being ready for me. I'll be staying Friday night at the cabin in West Augusta...........room for a few with plenty of camping space.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #24742
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,460
Finally....

found a gun safe that would suit my immediate needs, and was (IMHO) affordable:

The above was the scary, but easy part since it weighs close to 700# and is top heavy. Actually getting it off the trailer to its final resting place was a real mofo.... especially when working alone. Once again, creative strapping and the overhead worked out fine once I sat down and developed a plan of attack.

It doesn't look all that big, but trying to shuffle it into place will have me feeling the aches and pains in the a.m. Will latch it to the floor in the next couple of days. Will also pick up and install a Golden Rod before I start stuffing it.

Purchased it from Tractor Supply out off of Hull Street.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #24743
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Nice safe!
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #24744
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
The 1150 engine is reliable and all but not sure I would try this....

Looks pretty cool though. How much play in the final drive to the prop? ; )

I'd like to ride in some of the proposed rides and bring the kid. He's riding pretty good.

About the safe. You'll feel better with a gun safe, too many bad actors in the world and just knowing that none of your hardware will ever be at risk and never is used in a way that you don't want gives a deep satisfaction. One of those first school shootings weren't the children or grand children of the hardware owner, they were just kids that knew the grandson or son of the owner. Kids talk, heck we talk, that's ok. It's guy culture to talk about guns. I love it. But just knowing all is safe is good. If you don't have one, I recommend it.

Ok so here is a pic of my first two 22-250 reloads off bags at 100 yds. The bigger 4 group on the left is the first reload. the tighter group on the right is the next four reloads. Not bad, using the cheapist hand loader Lee makes.

If someone knows how to copy a smug mug pic on a mac, I'd like to know by the way. I had to go back to the pc to make this pic happen.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 08-07-2013 at 05:06 PM
Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #24745
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,567
Better than this:

Old 08-08-2013, 05:25 AM   #24746
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,048
Google time lapse of Richmond from 1984 - 2012

BTW this map has nation wide coverage, you can search around just like in the normal Google maps.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:08 AM   #24747
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post

Hmmm, would have thought you'd put that upstairs.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #24748
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Hmmm, would have thought you'd put that upstairs.
I DON'T think so. Had enough trouble just getting it off of the trailer. That is one heavy sucker.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #24749
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
I DON'T think so. Had enough trouble just getting it off of the trailer. That is one heavy sucker.

Any recommendations on a good secure handgun safe? I want to put one in the house someplace, and I just the best thing to do would be to bolt it to the floor. I am worried someone might just steal the entire safe....
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #24750
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
Google time lapse of Richmond from 1984 - 2012 ...BTW this map has nation wide coverage, you can search around just like in the normal Google maps.
that's cool. zoom down and watch 288/295 appear around 85-88.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote