ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 05:27 AM   #25021
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdavis View Post
I remember the races that they used to hold at the Chesterfield Fairgrounds on the 1/4 mile track back in the 70's. But I never new that they were at the Virginia Fairgrounds.
They used to race at the Fairgrounds on Weds. evenings. At the time I was here for training and field work, staying at a fella's basement apartment right down Laburnum from the track; very easy for me to get to. They built a new track down over the hill and held several races there, but for whatever reason it never caught on so they shut it down.

.
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:37 AM   #25022
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinTheRVA View Post
Sorry for the false alarm Richmond dirt biking folks, not actually selling my WR250R. Ended up finding a buyer for the SV650 and was able to keep the dirt bike. Exciting!

Shoe Creek looked like fun...challenging as well! Enjoyed watching the videos you posted, gives a good idea of what's out there.
Good to hear! I think the Honda and the WR are a much better match together than the Honda and SV.
__________________
2012 WR250R
2007 SV650 (SOLD)
1984 XL350R (SOLD)
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #25023
skychs
chuck smith
 
skychs's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Glen Allen Va (N. Richmond)
Oddometer: 855
BlakKrauStudios ......
I have to compliment you on the action shots. Very nice photography. It's not easy getting a still shot of a bike going 100 mph right in front of you.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #25024
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
BlakKrauStudios ......
I have to compliment you on the action shots. Very nice photography. It's not easy getting a still shot of a bike going 100 mph right in front of you.
Agree.... and noticed that myself. Think he has his panning technique down pat.

.
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #25025
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..
 
Jeff Munn's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Petersburg, Virginia
Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakKrauStudios View Post
I also made my way to the races on Saturday. VERY impressed with the facility, and also the amount of people out there! Hopefully this event catches on and gets this area to wake up to the fact that there's other racing out there besides NASCAR.

Anyway, I managed to snap a few shots as well. Nothing fantastic, since it was hard to find a good vantage point, but I did my best. Also plan on working a few of these over this week enough to get something showable.



Now those were some mighty nice photos. Made me feel like I was reading Sports Illustrated or such. Beautiful work. Thanks for posting them.

jeff
__________________
Ride to challenge yourself and to expand your horizons. But be warned, once you've ridden beyond the U.S. border, you might begin to realize that the world doesn't revolve around us......

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #25026
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakKrauStudios View Post
I also made my way to the races on Saturday. VERY impressed with the facility, and also the amount of people out there! Hopefully this event catches on and gets this area to wake up to the fact that there's other racing out there besides NASCAR.

Anyway, I managed to snap a few shots as well. Nothing fantastic, since it was hard to find a good vantage point, but I did my best. Also plan on working a few of these over this week enough to get something showable.
What camera were you using?

.
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #25027
sidi9000
Adventurer
 
sidi9000's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: RVA
Oddometer: 35
Richmond Va chatter

Hey guys !
My buddy is selling his motorbike
2004 V-Strom 650
16K, Sargent ( or Corbin don't recall ) , Givi shield and cases ( big top & small side) heated grips. Asking 3500, he'll take 3200$
The bike is black but currently covered with peel off military flat green.
Please let me know if you guys know anybody interested.
Cheers !
Tapatalk won't let me post a shot with my phone but I'll add one later or email/text if anyone interested.
Thanks again !
sidi9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #25028
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer
 
cliffy109's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Spotsylvania, VA
Oddometer: 1,579
Y'all got much better shots than I did.

After the race, they opened up the pits and I had a chance to talk to a few of the racers. They didn't like this track. It is too big and the corners not sharp enough. The Pro guys in particular hated it. Because it is so big and the corners so wide, they were running wide open the entire race. They never hit the brake or even eased up on the throttle. That took its toll on the bikes. In an average day of racing, they usually loose 2 or 3 bikes to mechanical problems. They lost 14 in the Pro class on Saturday. I'm pretty sure this was the problem for the #42 bike that had dominated every heat but fell to the back of the pack about 1/3 the way through the final race.

Racers be damned, I had a blast and really enjoyed the action.

The most memorable part of the day though was the ride home. There were several hundred Harleys in the lot and a LOT of them were nice and drunk. Andrew told me about a secret back road out of the complex that involved a road that the locals attempted to post as private (it isn't). It is a mud and sand trail through the woods and I saw remnants of yellow "caution" tape all over the road but took it anyway. It was a blast! It also kept me well away from the rabble and made for a very pleasant ride back to Spotsylvania in a bit under 2 hours.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #25029
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?
 
BlakKrauStudios's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Hampton, VA
Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Agree.... and noticed that myself. Think he has his panning technique down pat.

.
Thanks. Like anything, it just takes practice. According to card coding, approximately 22,000+ shots worth of practice thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Now those were some mighty nice photos. Made me feel like I was reading Sports Illustrated or such. Beautiful work. Thanks for posting them.

jeff
That makes me feel good. And while I don't think I'm quite up to par with publications like S.I. or Nat. Geo., I did manage to land some work in an Australian Publication recently with some shots I took of a friend of mine.

So I can cross that off my list I guess; get name in small print in magazine you could show your own mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
What camera were you using?

.
Canon EOS XTi with EFII 100-300mm glass and UV filter. Bought it probably 10 years ago and have gotten LOTS of enjoyment and memorable photos out of it. Most of them are posted on my FB page, in case anyone wants to browse.

I did see a few Richond Superbikes t-shirts up there. Personally, I'm REALLY hoping both Colonial Downs and the AMA vote this event as a success, and bring it back next year. Seemed to be good entertainment for all ages and social classes. With racing starting at 1pm, and being done by 4, you don't even need to dedicate an entire day to enjoy the action.

And if it does come back next year, you can bet I'll be applying for a press pass to get where I couldn't sneak to this year.
__________________
Working my way towards fascism... one bike at a time.
2009 Ducati Sport 1000

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #25030
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?
 
BlakKrauStudios's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Hampton, VA
Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
Y'all got much better shots than I did.

After the race, they opened up the pits and I had a chance to talk to a few of the racers. They didn't like this track. It is too big and the corners not sharp enough. The Pro guys in particular hated it. Because it is so big and the corners so wide, they were running wide open the entire race. They never hit the brake or even eased up on the throttle. That took its toll on the bikes. In an average day of racing, they usually loose 2 or 3 bikes to mechanical problems. They lost 14 in the Pro class on Saturday. I'm pretty sure this was the problem for the #42 bike that had dominated every heat but fell to the back of the pack about 1/3 the way through the final race.
Actually, 42 nearly binned it on turns 1&2, and had to slow considerably to keep from hay-bailing it. He just never recovered.

I'm currently kicking myself for not knowing the pits/staging area were easily accessable.
__________________
Working my way towards fascism... one bike at a time.
2009 Ducati Sport 1000

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #25031
Defaultgateway
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Shortpump, Va.
Oddometer: 85
xr750 photo racing plate #12, #2

Plate # 12, Brad Baker, best lap time 44.833 sec. - HD XR750
For 1.25 mile lap, that's an average speed of 100.26 mi/hr.

Plate #2, Kenny Coolbeth, Jr., HD XR750.
Plate #1, Jared Mees, HD XR750

Not too shabby for a bike with origins from the 1952 KR flathead side valve. 300 # bike, dry wt. with ~95+ hp aircooled pushrod engine, naturally aspirated with mandated 33 mm dia. restrictor plates. In flat track, it's all about smooth control -handling and torque. (and big cahones...)

Tires are mandated type and both 19 inch dia., no front brake and no fairings allowed. Fuel is mandated Sunoco Supreme 112.
Defaultgateway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #25032
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer
 
Guy Young's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: North Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakKrauStudios View Post
Thanks. Like anything, it just takes practice. According to card coding, approximately 22,000+ shots worth of practice thus far.



That makes me feel good. And while I don't think I'm quite up to par with publications like S.I. or Nat. Geo., I did manage to land some work in an Australian Publication recently with some shots I took of a friend of mine.

So I can cross that off my list I guess; get name in small print in magazine you could show your own mother.



Canon EOS XTi with EFII 100-300mm glass and UV filter. Bought it probably 10 years ago and have gotten LOTS of enjoyment and memorable photos out of it. Most of them are posted on my FB page, in case anyone wants to browse.

I did see a few Richond Superbikes t-shirts up there. Personally, I'm REALLY hoping both Colonial Downs and the AMA vote this event as a success, and bring it back next year. Seemed to be good entertainment for all ages and social classes. With racing starting at 1pm, and being done by 4, you don't even need to dedicate an entire day to enjoy the action.

And if it does come back next year, you can bet I'll be applying for a press pass to get where I couldn't sneak to this year.
I gave my younger daughter one (or other variation) of those a few years ago for her birthday, and it absolutely killed me to let it go. Alas, I eventually did and she has been making good use of it.

Again, nice shots and thanks for sharing.

.
__________________
GB Young Services, LLC
Garage Project: http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #25033
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders
 
Dirtmonkey8's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
Andrew told me about a secret back road out of the complex that involved a road that the locals attempted to post as private (it isn't). It is a mud and sand trail through the woods and I saw remnants of yellow "caution" tape all over the road but took it anyway. It was a blast! It also kept me well away from the rabble and made for a very pleasant ride back to Spotsylvania in a bit under 2 hours.
Good call Andrew! That was the best way out of that mess for a couple of reasons. Andrew, did you ever get a chance to check that road out? I used to live at the other end of that road and we road bikes and go-karts on it growing up. It used to come out on 155 North of what is now the Royal New Kent Golf Course entrance and you could take it all the way to Olivet Church road via an old wooden bridge across the swamp that was always at or below water level. Sketchy!! I tried to check out the second half a couple of months ago, but I was on the wrong bike for what it has become.
__________________
A little dirt don't hurt.
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #25034
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer
 
cliffy109's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Spotsylvania, VA
Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Good call Andrew! That was the best way out of that mess for a couple of reasons. Andrew, did you ever get a chance to check that road out? I used to live at the other end of that road and we road bikes and go-karts on it growing up. It used to come out on 155 North of what is now the Royal New Kent Golf Course entrance and you could take it all the way to Olivet Church road via an old wooden bridge across the swamp that was always at or below water level. Sketchy!! I tried to check out the second half a couple of months ago, but I was on the wrong bike for what it has become.
There might be a bit of name confusion here. Andrew is HalfPlate and he is the one who suggested I take those back roads. He was at the race with his wife. We met up with Eddy Alvarez and ptownjonny. For the record, my first name is Steve.

My escape route is one that Andrew described. It started as a gravel road around the back side of the Royal New Kent Golf Club. That was fine, but it wasn't until I turned on Bailey Rd that it got exciting. There was no bridge, but the presence of a local swamp was evident by the mud and wet sand. That road terminated just short of Route 60 and it was well worth the effort.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #25035
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders
 
Dirtmonkey8's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
There might be a bit of name confusion here. Andrew is HalfPlate and he is the one who suggested I take those back roads. He was at the race with his wife. We met up with Eddy Alvarez and ptownjonny. For the record, my first name is Steve.

My escape route is one that Andrew described. It started as a gravel road around the back side of the Royal New Kent Golf Club. That was fine, but it wasn't until I turned on Bailey Rd that it got exciting. There was no bridge, but the presence of a local swamp was evident by the mud and wet sand. That road terminated just short of Route 60 and it was well worth the effort.
No confusion actually. I had taken some guys down that road and we were talking with Andrew about it and he said he had seen it but the signs kept him out. He said he wanted to check it out some time and i was wondering if he ever had taken the road. Before they built the golf course it went from rt 629 (Carriage Rd) to 155. It now terminates near the club house where you entered. Before, you could cross 155 (Courthouse rd, I think) and it was more sand and mud, crossing a swamp and connecting to another paved road. The road with the bridge no longer exists. My grandfather lived at the corner where this other road was. He had trails in the woods and we would drive his cub cadet pulling a rusty old trailer through the trails and down that road. The road you took used to be a rootin' destination for 4x4's and it always stayed badly rutted and my great uncle would take the road in his old model-T and he would put the wheels in the ruts and it would steer itself most of the length of the road unassisted. The road was a Civilian Corps of Engineers project during the depression to provide jobs and create access to fight fires. I grew up in the house where you exited the sandy road. There used to be other unpaved roads that would take you to Lanexa/Jackass Flats or near the West Point exit of I64, but those were paved around 2008. They are still accessible from the same complex just past where you turned right onto gravel to the golf course, but they have a sign saying horses only which I ignore.
__________________
A little dirt don't hurt.
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014