ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #25051
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakKrauStudios View Post
I did see a few Richond Superbikes t-shirts up there.

I swear there was a guy standing next to my son and I snapping some pics using the same camera! I was one of the few wearing a Richmond Superbike shirt. They work on my "work" bikes and Joey and Matt know their stuff!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #25052
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos View Post
I swear there was a guy standing next to my son and I snapping some pics using the same camera! I was one of the few wearing a Richmond Superbike shirt. They work on my "work" bikes and Joey and Matt know their stuff!
Weird. Guy in front of me had a decent dSLR, but I couldn't tell what it was.

I was in section D. Row C.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #25053
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 905
Klim

I have the Klim Badlands Pro jacket and pants. After a year of hard riding I discovered a water leak in both garments at different times. Both times they sent me NEW replacements. I have no complaints about their products or customer service. I'm sure they will treat you right.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #25054
Hack

Oddometer: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
I have the Klim Badlands Pro jacket and pants. After a year of hard riding I discovered a water leak in both garments at different times. Both times they sent me NEW replacements. I have no complaints about their products or customer service. I'm sure they will treat you right.
Hey Chuck.

I hope nothing changes now that Polaris bought Klim.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #25055
sidi9000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Richmond Va chatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
How much my brutha ?

sidi9000 screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 07:43 PM
sidi9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #25056
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Well as usual my life has screwed me over again (I know I'm being a drama queen, but I'm pretty bummed right now). Just got wind that there's an annual meeting I have to attend the weekend of the Shenandoah 500, and I don't have a choice to miss it. I'm pretty much SOL. I've already paid for the event, and paid for a camp site. I'm hoping I can just put the site in VAcommuter or Skippii's name since they were planning to camp with me, and they can still have it. I was looking forward to this more than pretty much anything else this year. Guess there is always 2014. FML.

Still haven't heard from Klim either.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #25057
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,932
Missing the S500

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Well as usual my life has screwed me over again (I know I'm being a drama queen, but I'm pretty bummed right now). Just got wind that there's an annual meeting I have to attend the weekend of the Shenandoah 500, and I don't have a choice to miss it. I'm pretty much SOL. I've already paid for the event, and paid for a camp site. I'm hoping I can just put the site in VAcommuter or Skippii's name since they were planning to camp with me, and they can still have it. I was looking forward to this more than pretty much anything else this year. Guess there is always 2014. FML.

Still haven't heard from Klim either.
Bummer. But life is like that. I'm sure you'll be able to find someone to take your registration too. There is usually a waiting list.

But as a consolation, I'd be happy to offer a weekend, small group, S500-like ride in October. We could camp at our place, and ride most of the roads since they are all within 25 miles of us. If one of the riders this year could keep the tracks, or roll-charts, we could all do it as a Richmond group, on our own. No fees. No registration.

Just a thought.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #25058
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
**** Jeff ~ That is a gracious offer and sounds like a very NICE RIDE!!! I will hang onto my roll chart and hope I can wiggle out of work for an extra weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Well as usual my life has screwed me over again (I know I'm being a drama queen, but I'm pretty bummed right now). Guess there is always 2014. FML.

Ouch ~ Understandably so.... I was looking forward to riding with you.

Watching DaddyGreenJeans video's of Shoe Creek with yourself and jgiacobbe gave me the kick in the pants I needed to repair my broken bike (new parts or not). Repair still in progress but hoping to catch the next RTE or trail ride.

If I can put humpty dumpty back together tomorrow I might can make this Friday or next. JB weld has cured / Briggs and Stratton in-line petcock [s]in hand[/s] ~ that didn't sound right... Fortunately the float needle is not leaking fuel enough to notice when it's running. Two finger clutch lever is still workable.

Talked to the dealer again today and the new parts should ??? ship out Friday... Maybe

Whitfield screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 08:31 PM
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #25059
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Can anyone recommend a good 21" front tire to compliment my rear IRC GP-1 Trials tire. The OEM front Karoo is getting funky and thin @ 2500 miles. Aiming for something to work with the S-500 GWNF terrain and aiming to avoid flats. Bike does see frequent I-95 rush hr commuter traffic but not afraid to run full knobbies if that is what I need.

Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:35 AM   #25060
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Oddometer: 1,655
I've got a Pirelli somethingorother on my front that's got 9,000 miles on it, and still going strong.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:05 AM   #25061
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 905
Klim

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs

Hack
I hope nothing changes now that Polaris bought Klim.
Hack ..... I hope your right. My fingers are crossed because I really like the gear.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:37 AM   #25062
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
Can anyone recommend a good 21" front tire to compliment my rear IRC GP-1 Trials tire. The OEM front Karoo is getting funky and thin @ 2500 miles. Aiming for something to work with the S-500 GWNF terrain and aiming to avoid flats. Bike does see frequent I-95 rush hr commuter traffic but not afraid to run full knobbies if that is what I need.
We ran Kenda fronts for the TAT. They made it 6300 miles across to Oregon, and then all the way back home to Virginia on pavement, for about 10,000 miles total. As for the rear's, I like the Kenda. In Colorado Joe went to a Dunlop 606, while I stayed with the Kenda. The 606 was $160, and the Kenda was $70. Although the 606 was way more aggressive, the Kenda wore better and lasted longer.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:08 AM   #25063
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Bummer. But life is like that. I'm sure you'll be able to find someone to take your registration too. There is usually a waiting list.

But as a consolation, I'd be happy to offer a weekend, small group, S500-like ride in October. We could camp at our place, and ride most of the roads since they are all within 25 miles of us. If one of the riders this year could keep the tracks, or roll-charts, we could all do it as a Richmond group, on our own. No fees. No registration.

Just a thought.

jeff
I asked for a refund, so we'll see what they say.

That is a really nice offer Jeff, and sounds like a good time. I would be happy to do something like that if others are also interested. Just gotta nail a weekend down that will work for everyone.

Quote:
**** Jeff ~ That is a gracious offer and sounds like a very NICE RIDE!!! I will hang onto my roll chart and hope I can wiggle out of work for an extra weekend.

Ouch ~ Understandably so.... I was looking forward to riding with you.

Watching DaddyGreenJeans video's of Shoe Creek with yourself and jgiacobbe gave me the kick in the pants I needed to repair my broken bike (new parts or not). Repair still in progress but hoping to catch the next RTE or trail ride.

If I can put humpty dumpty back together tomorrow I might can make this Friday or next. JB weld has cured / Briggs and Stratton in-line petcock [s]in hand[/s] ~ that didn't sound right... Fortunately the float needle is not leaking fuel enough to notice when it's running. Two finger clutch lever is still workable.

Talked to the dealer again today and the new parts should ??? ship out Friday... Maybe
Well hopefully we will ride somewhere else soon enough. There's always the local spots, and since I won't be making the S500 I will be trying to hit the mountains again for the day before and after that weekend hopefully.

Quote:

The Shinko 244 is that same style, super cheap, and lasts a long time. Jeremy gave me a used one with around 3,000 miles on it, I have put probably 1,000 miles on it, and it is still going strong.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #25064
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:

What Burton said, just use the same on the front. They work OK on everything. I've seen a couple of klxsf sumos with them on 17 inch wheels have no issue running them on shoe creek and a bunch of other stuff. The Shinko 244 is pretty much the same tread and fairly cheap. I had that one on the front of my WR for a good 3k. The only thing I didn't like was I had an odd wobble and the edge of the tread was really easy to reach when playing in the twisties.
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #25065
Defaultgateway
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
90 on / 10 off road front tires, 21 inch

I run a IRC GP-110 on my KLR up front, 21 inch is under $60
A bit more dirt orientated than the IRC GP-1, either will fill the bill.
http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...th=200_232_235

----

Shenko 705
http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...th=200_921_923

A common tire for KLR's, good street mileage, cheap and cheerful, and good on gravel.
(as for the 244, some like it, some hate it- never used it so I can't say one way or the other, M/C tires are very subjective, some bikes will be very happy, put the same tire on another brand bike and it could suck big-time...)
---
Pirrelli MT 90 Scorpions
http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...th=200_260_263

Another decent choice for 90/10 riding front, but it is not uncommon to develop hi-speed head shake over time, the most pricey of the lot so far...

--------
Metzeler Karoo 3 dual sport
A new tire, good overall, front about $82. On the rear tread life is not so good, but up front should be ok.
http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...h=200_248_1065
Defaultgateway is offline   Reply With Quote