ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 10:13 PM   #25096
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Okay, I say we put the mark on the calendar now. 19-20 October. Everyone start to chime in who wants to do it. I can't do it any earlier because I have conflicts thru Columbus weekend, 12-14 Oct.

jeff

My daughter has her first Homecoming Dance 10-19.

I've gotta stick around for that one
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #25097
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 996
How does the following weekend work for everyone? Jeff, thanks again for inviting us out there.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:55 AM   #25098
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,324
Hellava race!

Old 09-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #25099
DaddyGreenGenes
Delicious

Oddometer: 21
Anybody in the RVA area have a rivet type master link for a KLR? 520 o-ring type chain, probably RK brand...It's OEM type replacement.
'12 Suzuki DRZ 400SSM
'12 Christini 300 AWD
DaddyGreenGenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #25100
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
How does the following weekend work for everyone? Jeff, thanks again for inviting us out there.
If the next weekend, the 26th-27th, works for everyone, I'll see if I can be free. Got to warn you though, WV gets pretty chilly at night in late October. I'm talking in the high teens to low 20's at night. But if you remember, we did the Black Ice Ride last year, so I'm pretty sure I'm game.

So once again, everyone chime in for which is better, the 19th or the 26th? Guess we'd need someone who has the roll charts or tracks for the S500 too. I don't have those.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #25101
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,324
Quote:
If the next weekend, the 26th-27th, works for everyone, I'll see if I can be free. Got to warn you though, WV gets pretty chilly at night in late October. I'm talking in the high teens to low 20's at night. But if you remember, we did the Black Ice Ride last year, so I'm pretty sure I'm game.

So once again, everyone chime in for which is better, the 19th or the 26th? Guess we'd need someone who has the roll charts or tracks for the S500 too. I don't have those.

jeff
But, but, but.......... you weren't camping. Truth be told, none of us were. Thank Gawd for that. It was quite nippley over the course of that w/e.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #25102
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,516
Quote:

jeff
I have several roll charts from the S500. Also the maps that came with them. I will see what I have.

Either date is good for me.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #25103
RimBenty
Bender of Rims

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
I have several roll charts from the S500. Also the maps that came with them. I will see what I have.

Either date is good for me.
Pplasm, I have complete rout chart/map sets from 2008, 2009, & 2010. For 2011 I have everything but the Sunday map. We should probably pick one of years that we both have copies of.

We would need to know who wants charts and who wants GPS tracks. If I dont have GPS tracks for the year we pick, I can make them. I also have all of the gas stations in the area and the restaurants in Brandywine and Franklin WV as GPS waypoints.

One thing to remember is NVTR (WATR?) can occasionally get the Forest Service to open closed roads just for their event. So we need to check the route we use for normally closed roads. Also, some of the roads are only open from Oct 1st to Jan or Feb. I can call the Forest Service in early Oct. to make sure any roads on our route are open.

Im still open for any weekend in October.
RimBenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #25104
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,516
They also get permission to ride across some private property. I suspect you could ride through without repercussions if you were slow and quiet.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #25105
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
I will go whatever weekend is open for everyone, but late October will most likely be freezing. Snow could even be expected by then. I have no heated gear, and will almost definitely be riding my bike out.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #25106
RimBenty
Bender of Rims

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
They also get permission to ride across some private property. I suspect you could ride through without repercussions if you were slow and quiet.
Actually it shows up as open for travel on the MVUM. My theory is the Forest Service has an easement for the road and one of the owners wants to close it. So lets not give him any ammunition. I have it marked on my GPS with a scull and cross bones.

There's another road with gates but that's not in the forest and is a WV state road. So it's like when riding out west, if the gate is closed, close it after you pass through.
RimBenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:59 AM   #25107
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimBenty View Post
Actually it shows up as open for travel on the MVUM. My theory is the Forest Service has an easement for the road and one of the owners wants to close it. So lets not give him any ammunition. I have it marked on my GPS with a scull and cross bones.
Forest Service, National Parks (USA), Corps of Eng., etc. rarely, if ever, use easements. Far too much open interpretation of what constitutes as "use". If anything, the Forest Service owns the property, and an easement is granted to the adjoining property owner for ingress/egress.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:24 AM   #25108
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimBenty View Post
One thing to remember is NVTR (WATR?) can occasionally get the Forest Service to open closed roads just for their event. So we need to check the route we use for normally closed roads. Also, some of the roads are only open from Oct 1st to Jan or Feb. I can call the Forest Service in early Oct. to make sure any roads on our route are open.
There are roads in the NF which are designated "Hunters Access" and are only open during designated hunting seasons. Gated and locked during all other times. This may be what you are referring to. Most are open starting in October for the deer hunting season.

I've also talked with the DOT here in Pendleton County on several occasions. There are lots of roads in the county that are legally state maintained roads, but run thru private property. The property owners marker them as if they were off limits, but they are not, as long as you stay on the road. The owners may NOT lock the gates, but may gate them. So if it is on the list of county maintained roads, it it perfectly legal to open the gate and let yourself thru. I do it all the time. On a few occasions I've had to notify the DOT of locked gates too. I have a map of all county maintained (and hence open) roads in Pendleton County.

I try to ride as many roads like this as I can each year, because there is a weird ruling that if a landowner says no-one has accessed the road in "x" amount of time, they can petition to have the road "closed" and then it becomes their private property and they can lock it. I try not to let that happen.

jeff

oh, Chuck and Todd are here. It is a beautifully cool morning up here in the mtns.

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:25 AM   #25109
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 996
Quote:

jeff
Jeff, I apologize for misunderstanding you and therefore looking into shifting the weekend. For some reason I thought you were available later, but just not before. Again, I am sorry.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:45 AM   #25110
MAJSpears
MAJSpears

Oddometer: 2
Repair Question for a 1990 BMW K75S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinrichmond View Post
Wanted to start this thread in case BoatBandit didn't want us clogging up the Richmond Check in thread.

Ok. Post whatever you want here Richmond folks, but I'm mostly interested in gaming, electronics, cool places for tags, hiking spots, and any motorcycling related stuff like repair questions/tips/gear etc...
I am not in Richmond, but have a repair question for a 1990 BMW K75S. I am looking at buying a this bike, but it has some issues. When you try and pull the clutch back it will not budge, also I when you start the bike I am not certain if it is the final drive or something else, but it sounds like something metalic is spinning towards the rear of the engine. Any thoughts or suggestions or should I just walk and keep looking.

Thanks,
MAJSpears is offline   Reply With Quote