ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #25231
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,998
So I'm starting to get skeptical and think perhaps BMW has just gotten cheap on their qualifying course and has just gone and borrowed a mountain bike course. Or, they could just be leaking photos of a MC on a MTB course to scare everyone. Third option is they are just that freakin nuts and have a pretty well written liability waiver.

My Nuvi 500 works fine with gloves on.
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #25232
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
too much trouble. Get these:

+1
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #25233
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
Remember Halfplate wanted to be like me and bought the same Klim Suit...Just a size bigger...
Yea but mine has more dirt on it so ha....
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #25234
klim86
veteran

Oddometer: 160
Ride Sat Morning 14SEP

Hey guys,

Im trying to get a few people together for another ride this sat morning. I know one person who is 80-90% commited to going besides myself. It would be great if we could get another local, since the two of us are still pretty new to the area. I am going to try and ride from memory where ddlewis took me last weekend, unless someone would like to volunteer to be a "guide".

Thanks gain to ddlewis for showing me around last weekend, hopefully your side cover comes in today so we can ride again soon.

Let me know.

Klim
Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus

'04 V-strom 1000, '06 XR650L(sold)
klim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #25235
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakKrauStudios View Post
NOPE.
Well if he cannot do it with two hearts, what chance do I have.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #25236
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
Yea but mine has more dirt on it so ha....
Hmmm. Andrew, I'm not sure that which you are bragging about is actually a good thing.......

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #25237
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by klim86 View Post
...ddlewis for showing me around last weekend, hopefully your side cover comes in today so we can ride again soon.

Let me know.

Klim
No it has not come in and time is ticking.. Next Wed is go day. I'm trying to stay cool. Think I'll start rehabbing the old one tonight just in case. I've already got it off, stator out, etc.

Here's what it looks like. Pinky goes in to first knuckle. jbweld? Guy what do you say?
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #25238
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,312
Quote:
No it has not come in and time is ticking.. Next Wed is go day. I'm trying to stay cool. Think I'll start rehabbing the old one tonight just in case. I've already got it off, stator out, etc.

Here's what it looks like. Pinky goes in to first knuckle. jbweld? Guy what do you say?
I'd use something like QuikSteel epoxy putty, or similar product, for that repair.

Comes in a stick you cut off a slug, knead it with your fingers to mix it, then apply..... inside and out.

You will need to make sure ALL oil is removed from the cracks and crevices before application. Also helps to clean/rough up the surfaces with a wire brush..... thinking Dremel type tool.

I saw a fella put together the entire bottom end of a KLR engine after destroying it in a rock garden on a DS ride up in PA several years ago. Rode the thing back home to VT.

Needless to say, I carry a stick of it with me all the time.

Guy Young screwed with this post 09-11-2013 at 03:47 PM
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #25239
klim86
veteran

Oddometer: 160
Quote:

That's frustrating the cover has not come in yet. Since you have a little bit of time I would check around to see if there is a fabrication shop or steel shop around that could weld up that hole. It would be stronger than JB weld or quiksteel and more permanent. Especially since you are riding to Tenn in week or so. The only issue with that is finding a place that would weld it together fast and affordably. Just a thought.
Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus

'04 V-strom 1000, '06 XR650L(sold)
klim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #25240
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,738
I remember years ago seeing a welding stick called Aladdin that used a torch. In a magazine they used it to fill a hole like that.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #25241
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Entry Level Engineer

Hey anybody have any ideas of places hiring newly graduated engineers. Son has a BS in aero from VaTech. Heck looking for an interview that's more than over the phone. He writes very well. Has a motorcycle license. PM me.

Wee Strommin along.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #25242
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
Hey anybody have any ideas of places hiring newly graduated engineers. Son has a BS in aero from VaTech. Heck looking for an interview that's more than over the phone. He writes very well. Has a motorcycle license. PM me.
Couple of openings at Jefferson Lab. Worth a looksy.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #25243
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
How about the US Air Force? I hear that they are projected to be short by over 700 pilots by 2015 due to the repetitive deployments during 2005-2011 in Iraq/Afghanistan. It's cyclical...it would be a great time to jump in as a young man, do 25 years and retire as a full bird in your early 50's. If he only did 6 years and left as a Captain, is would look great on his CV.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/26/air-force-facing-fighter-pilot-shortage-offers-retention-bonuses-up-to-225000/

http://money.msn.com/now/post--air-force-combats-pilot-shortage-with-big-payments
Old 09-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #25244
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
How about the US Air Force? I hear that they are projected to be short by over 700 pilots by 2015 due to the repetitive deployments during 2005-2011 in Iraq/Afghanistan. It's cyclical...it would be a great time to jump in as a young man, do 25 years and retire as a full bird in your early 50's. If he only did 6 years and left as a Captain, is would look great on his CV.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/26/air-force-facing-fighter-pilot-shortage-offers-retention-bonuses-up-to-225000/

http://money.msn.com/now/post--air-force-combats-pilot-shortage-with-big-payments
Do they let you fly if your near sighted. If he could fly he would go for anything. A scout Cessna.

You guy have not been riding Mud road. It was dry last Saturday. Well at least the long sections of red clay. The big puddles are still there.

Wee Strommin along.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #25245
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 884
Quote:

Bring it over off the bike; I can fix it. CycleDoc
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote