ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #25321
UncleR
KLiX are for kids

Oddometer: 14
S500

Eddy - I'll look for you. I'm in the primitive loop - going quite the minimalist route at PT-16. I still don't know whether to ride the 250 or 650. If anyone has done this route before and has a suggestion for an intermediate rider - I'd appreciate it. I took the F650GS on Shoe Creek and had no issues, but would have rather had the smaller bike.

Whitfield and Klim - perhaps we can work in a local ride prior to the S500.
UncleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #25322
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
1. Yes, last year...I came in 12th out of around 50, Andrew "HalfPlate" came in 3rd (He's a stud!)
2. BS! It could be ready by this weekend! Spoon on some TKC's and come with us! It's very fun!
3. Yes, the ones of my boy and the two of us together were taken on the kiddie track. The one of me from a distance was on the ONE MILE LONG MX track! Serious fun!

That's just mean! LOL!

I got a "pass" from the warden to do both! Look for my "White Trash Condo" at the S500 on site C-21 and come have a beer! That goes for everyone!

Wow, now I see why you had to get the canoe out if your garage!

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #25323
DirtViking
SKOL!

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
1. Yes, last year...I came in 12th out of around 50, Andrew "HalfPlate" came in 3rd (He's a stud!)
2. BS! It could be ready by this weekend! Spoon on some TKC's and come with us! It's very fun!
3. Yes, the ones of my boy and the two of us together were taken on the kiddie track. The one of me from a distance was on the ONE MILE LONG MX track! Serious fun!
You got me thinking now...

Quote:
That "white trash condo" looks a whole lot better than my tent!!!

Will swing by at the Shen and introduce myself.

Jon
DirtViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #25324
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleR View Post
Curious as to who may be going to the S500? Jeff's ride a few weekends later sounds like a great alternate, but I had previously signed up. I'll be there both days and have a spot at the campground and it would be great to meet some Richmond locals.
Many of us Hampton Roads folks will be on sites C-6 through C-9.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #25325
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,892
Poor Man's S500 25-27 Oct

Okay everyone, since we're talking the S500, we are now confirmed for the alternate "Po Folks" S500 at my family place in WV the weekend of 25-27 October.

RimBenty is in charge of the ride, setting up ride groups, and has made roll charts sheets, and I believe the digital tracks for both days of riding. (Sat and Sun)

I'll be riding too, but will mainly provide location support. I'll set up the campground, build the Outhouse, have the grills, and fire pit. Have wood ready. If everyone helps out with donations, I can have some type of breakfast Sat and Sun, with coffee, fruit, minimal eggs/meat, etc. I must say I do make some pretty good biscuits.

For those who absolutely don't camp that late in the year, PM me and we can talk about other accommodations we have. Our place is 130 acres, but only about 40 are open fields. The rest forested with trails. There are hot showers in the main house. I don't mind if trailers a brought. Lot's of room for them if you can get 1/4 mile uphill on wet grass.

I'm NOT posting this to the main ADV rally page because I'd like to keep this small and with the local Richmond guys. If it turns out well, and we don't burn the place down, maybe we can expand it on then next one. I tend to hold rider weekends there a couple times a year. (re: last year's Black Ice Ride)

So start planning now. I'm in Florida right now for my sister's last cancer treatment, but will be back up there in about a week if all goes well.

Jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #25326
klim86
veteran

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleR View Post
Whitfield and Klim - perhaps we can work in a local ride prior to the S500.
Hell Yeah! let me know when and where. Typically friday afternoons and weekend mornings work best for me, but I might be able to swing an afternoon pending approval from the wifey.

Klim
Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back. ― Heraclitus

'04 V-strom 1000, '06 XR650L(sold)
klim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #25327
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,276
For a slight change of pace from all the dirt stuff...

Having owned several horses in a previous life, I think these are absolutely beautiful creatures. A friend of mine sent me this video about these Friesian horses from the Netherlands.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #25328
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
Beautiful and powerful horses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Having owned several horses in a previous life, I think these are absolutely beautiful creatures. A friend of mine sent me this video about these Friesian horses from the Netherlands.

MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #25329
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
Beautiful and powerful horses!
I was really impressed with most of those riding the trot were not posting.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #25330
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I was really impressed with most of those riding the trot were not posting.

Was that a trot or a drassage of some sort? There was a definite extended pause in the gate. These horses have some very impressive gates, sort of a cross between please riding horses and draft horses.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #25331
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
Was that a trot or a drassage of some sort? There was a definite extended pause in the gate. These horses have some very impressive gates, sort of a cross between please riding horses and draft horses.
I'm inclined to think that is their natural gate. Look at the one sequence with the young colt. It's already picked it up.

Regardless, magnificent creatures. Almost wants me to go out and get another "baby" to take care of.... and THEY ARE babies. My younger daughter would love me; wife not so much.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #25332
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 831
More fun videos

Here is a link to another video for you guys. These guys pranked their friend by making all of the faucets in his house run with beer. Need my address??

http://now.msn.com/mans-house-plumbe...viral-campaign
Old 09-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #25333
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm inclined to think that is their natural gate. Look at the one sequence with the young colt. It's already picked it up.

Regardless, magnificent creatures. Almost wants me to go out and get another "baby" to take care of.... and THEY ARE babies. My younger daughter would love me; wife not so much.

When I lived on the farm in Wakefield in the early 60's I used to help William(Bill) Peebles around the barns feeding up and currying, and exercising his horses. He was the local mom/pop grocier in Wakefield and he raised a few Arabians including one magnifient white stallion name Amir. They were all pets except for Amir. Amir was gentle but he was also one high energy STUD. Bill hand raised them all and never once had to "break' a horse. They where all just naturally "Gentled" and he used only bitless bridles. He bought most of his babies from Mrs Tankersley's farm in Bethesda. We went to thier annual cull sale in 1961 where they culled $500,000+ in Arabians. They also had an all Arabian horse show for Drassage, Barrel Racing and Cattle Herding exhibitions. Smartest horses I ever saw. They could herd the most determined cows/calves with NO HANDS on the reigns. The horses just stuck their heads out, eyeballed those calves and anticpated every single move the calves made and cut them off every time until they ran the cavles into the corrals. They were impressive to say the least. Those Arabians were extremely intelligent.

I got curious and did some Googling and found this about ms Tankersley:

http://www.al-marah.com/ Check out this site if you want to see some truly beautiful Arabians.

http://www.arabianhorses.org/docs/AH...y_Memorium.pdf

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/hors...da75c170b.html

MADSTROM screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 03:10 PM
Old 09-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #25334
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Okay everyone, since we're talking the S500, we are now confirmed for the alternate "Po Folks" S500 at my family place in WV the weekend of 25-27 October.
I like the name!
Old 09-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #25335
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,693
A buddy of mine is going back to school to get his masters. He is selling his Warrior. Torque machine. I posted it in the flea market if anyone is interested.

Mike

2008 Warrior FS Post gone because not mine. Oops. Shoudl ahve been more vague. PM me if anyone wants to buy a 2008 Warrior or look on the Fredricksburg Craigslist. A real torque machine.

Wee Strommin along.

biker128pedal screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 02:47 PM
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote