ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #241
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos
Go to Verizon and get the USB727. Runs off a usb port
Yeah, was trying to avoid that..... having to carry around another device to plug in when under "duress," i.e, trying to get connected in a hurry.

It was also my understanding that the EC devices were faster, but not sure if that is true..... especially since EC slot specs. make reference to USB in the way they actually interface with the machine.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:55 AM   #242
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young
Yeah, was trying to avoid that..... having to carry around another device to plug in when under "duress," i.e, trying to get connected in a hurry.

It was also my understanding that the EC devices were faster, but not sure if that is true..... especially since EC slot specs. make reference to USB in the way they actually interface with the machine.

EC is not faster. Maximum download for EVDO Rev A is around 3.1 mps . You will be fine using USB. I actually prefer it because you can use it in desktops and laptops w/o an adapter. Yes there have been some cases of interference but that is easy to cure with a usb extension cable. My setup at home consist of a Verizon USB727 plugged into a Cradlepoint MBR-1000 router. I have a 32" Wilson Antenna plugged into the USB card. When we take the RV I have a MBR-350 I plug the card into. Or just plug it into a laptop. www.3gstore.com ;)
Old 01-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #243
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
EC is not faster. Maximum download for EVDO Rev A is around 3.1 mps . You will be fine using USB. I actually prefer it because you can use it in desktops and laptops w/o an adapter. Yes there have been some cases of interference but that is easy to cure with a usb extension cable. My setup at home consist of a Verizon USB727 plugged into a Cradlepoint MBR-1000 router. I have a 32" Wilson Antenna plugged into the USB card. When we take the RV I have a MBR-350 I plug the card into. Or just plug it into a laptop. www.3gstore.com ;)
So this device will plug directly into one of the USB ports on the side of the machine? The BB device I have is the Kyocera KPC680 and "your" adapter sez it's compatible with it.

I also just found out about a device available in Germany that may provide the stabilization issue with the BB device in the EC slot:

http://www.exsys.ch/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=554

I've dropped them a note and hopefully they'll respond quickly. I have 21 days to make up my mind on whether to keep the 1525, or not.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #244
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,168
slots

Guy,
I know the diff between a SD/media card and an external device, yes, there is a media slot (SD etc) but the thin slot is another one on the unit. Look closely, you will see there are 3 different slot configs for phone cards, the 2 we noted yesterday, and the one I noted as being thin but wide, (not an SD slot), along with multiple USB ports...

Hey, If you do talk to him (I just know you're gonna go over there now...) let Clyde know that if he picks up that GS, I want first Dibs on the KLR....I know he won't be allowed to have both along with "Momma's" ride also....
Pretty much figger he'll pull the bags and such and put them on the new bike, which would be expected, and frugal....
Wouldn't mind owning a second "Clyde owned" quality bike....
the first one served me well!!!!
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #245
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,434
Yes, it plugs into a USB port on the side or back of your pc and works great.

Quote:
So this device will plug directly into one of the USB ports on the side of the machine? The BB device I have is the Kyocera KPC680 and "your" adapter sez it's compatible with it.

I also just found out about a device available in Germany that may provide the stabilization issue with the BB device in the EC slot:

http://www.exsys.ch/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=554

I've dropped them a note and hopefully they'll respond quickly. I have 21 days to make up my mind on whether to keep the 1525, or not.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #246
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES
Guy,
I know the diff between a SD/media card and an external device, yes, there is a media slot (SD etc) but the thin slot is another one on the unit. Look closely, you will see there are 3 different slot configs for phone cards, the 2 we noted yesterday, and the one I noted as being thin but wide, (not an SD slot), along with multiple USB ports...

Hey, If you do talk to him (I just know you're gonna go over there now...) let Clyde know that if he picks up that GS, I want first Dibs on the KLR....I know he won't be allowed to have both along with "Momma's" ride also....
Pretty much figger he'll pull the bags and such and put them on the new bike, which would be expected, and frugal....
Actually, I'm not. I care not to tempt temptation. I have my eyes on the Stelvio - if - I can unload my Concours (and) KLR stuff.

Yeah, you read that right.

eBay ads to come later...........

Drop him a note. I know he's selling the FJR and KLR once he's sure the GS is the right fit.

Edit: Happy Trail, the maker of his panniers, has a rack system for the GS - but - his is the early mounting version and not sure if it's compatible with their newest offering, so he may be selling the bike with all the farkles.

Again, give him a holler.

Guy Young screwed with this post 01-04-2009 at 10:49 AM
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #247
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, it plugs into a USB port on the side or back of your pc and works great.
I went ahead and ordered one. If the adapter from Germany doesn't work out, I can use it with the 1525 and/or the D610 I use at work.

Double jeopardy in this silly game of tag we play.

Also, this 1525 has awesome WiFi capability. Simply flip a switch on the side and it's activated. Touchpad is decent too. The 610 is too sensitive and a real PITA to use.... especially when it's cold outside and you can't feel the end of your fingers.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #248
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,533
Wow you guys are trying to stay MORE connected? I am trying to get more UN connected. :LOL

Interesting food pics:

That's whay I wasn't tagging last nought.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #249
65bmwr50
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Eek Card slots

We are in the market for a new computer and I have found that there are now multiple slots on a computer. Older computers will have the PCMCIA slot, newer computers will have either or possibly both, ExpressCard 34 (34mm) or ExpressCard 54 (54mm) slots. Then you will also have all of the various media card slots (SD, miniSD, etc.). not to mention the USB slots. Verizon has an air card that will fit in the EC 34 format. We currently have a PCMCIA aircard that works awesome. YMMV.

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. - G. K. Chesterton
65bmwr50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #250
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES
Guy,

When I talked to him last month he said that both the KLR and FJR would be going once he got a GS.
COG 5903
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #251
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm
Wow you guys are trying to stay MORE connected? I am trying to get more UN connected. :LOL

Interesting food pics:

That's whay I wasn't tagging last nought.
Pete, looks delicious - but.......

you know that stuff'll kill you............................... eventually.

Chow hardy!!
Old 01-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #252
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,533
What a a way to go! That was yummy!
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #253
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,168
Omg

my arteries just get hard looking at all thos trans-fats and colesterols...

I'm having a nice omlet for dinner......with 8 eggs, a half pound of cheese, bacon, fired in butter.....and doused with salt and hot sauce....
maybe some Moose Tracks choclate Ice cream for desert....

glad I didn't get that grab today... I collected some AWESOME new tags... can't wait to use them!!!!
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #254
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

New trailer (film) available from Dirt Track Productions

Some of you may be familiar with the film, Riding Solo to the Top of the World by Gaurav Jani.

He just sent me a link to the trailer for his latest work, One Crazy Ride.

http://dirttrackproductions.com/trailers/ridingsolo/index.html

To see how the film looks like, download the high resolution version
(which is one-forth resolution of the film) which is a link on the
trailer page.

I had the luxury of getting a copy of the rough cut late last year (in PAL format), and I can tell you what we consider adventure riding doesn't hold a candle to some of the stuff these folks brave.... all on Enfields, no less.

My copy is already on order...........

Enjoy.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #255
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,469
I got "Riding Solo..." and thought it was excellent. It's part National Geographic documentary, part motorcycle flick, part bollywood adventure.

I may have to check out his new video...

Quote:
Some of you may be familiar with the film, Riding Solo to the Top of the World by Gaurav Jani.

He just sent me a link to the trailer for his latest work, One Crazy Ride.

http://dirttrackproductions.com/trailers/ridingsolo/index.html

To see how the film looks like, download the high resolution version
(which is one-forth resolution of the film) which is a link on the
trailer page.

I had the luxury of getting a copy of the rough cut late last year (in PAL format), and I can tell you what we consider adventure riding doesn't hold a candle to some of the stuff these folks brave.... all on Enfields, no less.

My copy is already on order...........

Enjoy.

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote