ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #25516
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Great ride with everyone today. Wish I could have ridden longer. What a perfect day.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #25517
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 814
That was a nice ride today. I didn't know there was so many trails that were so close to my house! Sorry for slowing down the ride and getting lost a few times. I'm going to blame my foggy goggles for at least one of the mishaps. .

It was good gettin the orange pig in the dirt again. I know it's been close to a year for her.
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #25518
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Thanks to everyone for making it a great ride. I was amazed at the group size for an impromptu S-500 shakedown. (7) is a lot of bikes but things still went smooth (no breakdowns / no injuries). I finally I got to put a few names with bikes / faces... I had a great time meeting up with the group and hitting the local hot spots ~ Big Thanks!

I had a blast playing around on the hill climb and rock garden. I still don't know how Sandman danced that FatGirl KTM 990 up the hillclimb and through those little bike trails.

So far my only damage looks to be a left side radiator guard and tank wing panel. I think must have I caught a small tree making a trail around that deadfall.

Two thumbs way up for the hyde racing plastic composite skid plate. I bashed the rocks in that rock garden a few times and heard the front wheel chuck some #9 rocks at it a few others. No serious scuff marks and better yet / no damage.

You know its a great ride when...

Your clutch hand cramps and gives up at the last stop light on the way home ( I need to remove the 3 finger clutch lever before the S-500).

You try to get up to go to work the next day (uninjured) but still feel and walk like you've been hit by a truck.

You wake up and walk around with Perma-grin the next day just thinking back on the great ride and wifey keeps asking . . . What are you smiling for? Are you hiding something? Ok ok, what did you do this time?
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:23 AM   #25519
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,768
John is a civil engineer from Alabama. He is also a docent at the Barber. In fact he helped with the design on the track and rode the first day it was open. I just might get a good tour off of him some day.

The little KLX is gone.

However, I was proud of the boy Friday. After a late start heading to Hungry Mother and some riding after dark, he piloted the DRZ to The Farm. First ride on the 400. Chuck it looks like you were within a couple of miles of us this weekend. You'll have to stop by one day.

Keep the KTM love coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 05:41 AM
Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:14 AM   #25520
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
I rode the KTM for the first time today. They aren't kidding with their "Ready To Race!" corporate mantra! At first I thought the steering was extremely vague until I realized that the front wheel was constantly skimming the ground! I think I did more wheelies today than in my previous 44 years!
Surprisingly, if you are easy on the gas, the 525 is a gentle kitten that can be left in 2nd gear all day, but keep twisting and watch out! Unless you live at the edge of a desert, putting 6 gears on this bike is absurd, it only needs 2nd, 3rd and 4th for anything in Virginia. The suspension, brakes, and controls are light years better than the DRZ. She is not as light as I had hoped, it kind of feels like a DRZ with a ton of money spend on it with twice the power! The verdict has not been made if she will stick around for a while or be sold off for a 100 pound lighter 300 cc two stroke. She is getting new fork seals this week. Stay tuned...
I that you would like that.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #25521
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman818 View Post
That was a nice ride today. I didn't know there was so many trails that were so close to my house! Sorry for slowing down the ride and getting lost a few times. I'm going to blame my foggy goggles for at least one of the mishaps. .

It was good gettin the orange pig in the dirt again. I know it's been close to a year for her.

I was surprised at the crap you were able to get through on that monster, the hill climb was impressive..

It's obvious why they don't allow those at the GS challenge.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #25522
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
I was surprised at the crap you were able to get through on that monster, the hill climb was impressive..

I got video of the hill climb and I looked at it last night. He made it look so easy and with the wide angle lens distorting the height and slope it is not even worth posting. The video I got of him crossing newly dumped sharp, case eating rocks was pretty good as well as the tight trails I followed him through.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #25523
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I got video of the hill climb and I looked at it last night. He made it look so easy and with the wide angle lens distorting the height and slope it is not even worth posting. The video I got of him crossing newly dumped sharp, case eating rocks was pretty good as well as the tight trails I followed him through.
I've noticed Go-pro video never does the steep hills justice.

yesterday was best case traction conditions too.. It's a different story over there when its wet.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #25524
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by draley View Post
Really enjoyed meeting you and your peeps up in the forest today. Hopefully, I can join in on one of your camp/ride outings in the future.

Maybe sometime I can give you a guided tour of some of the more interesting FS roads around here that I know you haven't seen. There is a lot of great FS road riding between the James River and Peaks of Otter. You can camp up at the reservoir area and hit all those trails too.

Thanks for the bonfire breakfast.
Nice to meet you as well..!! I'll take you up on your offer ;)
I was toooooo hungover to ride much on sunday... but I just have to leave my non-motorcycle friends home to cure that issue :)... I'll ping you this fall on my next trip out for some riding.

Take care....
Karl.

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #25525
dsinger562
Chewy

Oddometer: 9
Sundays Ride

Thanks Klim86 for the invite! And thank you all for leading us on this adventure! I had a great ride.
dsinger562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #25526
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,020
Quote:
I've noticed Go-pro video never does the steep hills justice.
I've noticed that too. It is disheartening to hammer up a difficult and nerve-racking tough uphill section, only to get home and watch the video that makes it look like it was nothing. Go-Pros definitely take the steepness and depth out of reality of a ride. Bummer.

But on the other hand, they also make it look like you are riding 10-15 MPH faster than you really are.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #25527
klim86
veteran

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman818

Dude serious that was impressive. I was embarrassed I fell as many times as I did after see you keep your composure through some of those obstacles.
Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus

'04 V-strom 1000, '06 XR650L(sold)
klim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #25528
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,280
If you are going to the S500 this weekend and are loaded down heavy, I have a lot of room in my RV and truck for gear, food, beer (with a cold refrigerator/freezer). Just get it to me before Friday. UnfortunateIy, I don't have any extra room for bikes as the tailgate needs to be up to haul the RV and only one bike will fit diagonally.

I am really looking forward to this event!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #25529
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
I'm not sure what to make of this disturbing clip as we only get to see a small piece of the video.

A driver was attacked by a pack of motorcyclists after he drove over a number of riders during a rally in Manhattan. The moment was captured ...
Gang of bikers attack driver in front of family after high-speed chase
Fox News-34 minutos atrás
Range Rover Runs Over Motorcyclists In NYC: Bikers Attack SUV ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=-dJoTA5gwSg

http://www.wabcradio.com/common/more...DE6840A&mode=2

Whitfield screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 10:17 AM
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #25530
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,059
I was looking at this yesterday. He initially rear ends a bike at 25 seconds into the clip and then at about 49 seconds in he runs over multiple bikes and possibly riders. The SUV takes off and they chase him. He knocks a guy of a KLR at 5:05 when someone tries to pull him from the SUV. Then the second chase begins and the SUV gets trapped in traffic and the KLR guy starts beating his window with his helmet at the end of the clip along with some help.

There is another video I heard about but have not seen showing the shenanigans the bikers were doing prior to all of this. LOTs of illegal riding, etc. I think something happened earlier and they were trying to stop the SUV for some reason. The guy in the SUV seems as though he was scared for his safety as he was trapped by a mob of hooligans. I have no idea what happened but I think it is on the front page of the NY Times today. If I had my child in the car as he did I may have done the same.

Here is an article in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/02/ny...andlebars&_r=0