ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #25531
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
The bikers were fully at fault and all should have been ran over. Riding like idiots, breaking laws, harassing people. The bikers pulled in front of the range rover to block the highway off and stunt on it. He accidentally rear ends one of them because he was brake checked. Then bikers begin getting off their bikes and coming up to the car. I would have driven off too. One of the guys he hit at first is paralyzed. I feel no remorse for him, and it's ashamed he didn't take a few more out. They then chased him down, and instead of calling the cops (why would they, they were breaking the law and on lots of stolen/unplated bikes) vandalize his car, pull him out, and beat him in front of his wife and kids. There are pictures with him in the road with a puddle of blood next to him. They should all be castrated. Endrant/
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #25532
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,043
Idiots...I believe that most sane men with a wife and kid in car/truck/SUV would have done the same. Too bad he wasn't carrying!

More here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post22445814

This journalist published his name and where he works...Great, now the man's life is really in danger.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/01...or-dead-after/

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 09:59 AM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #25533
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I hope I'm not at odds with policy for posting that clip here. I understand folks are going to feel very passionate about both sides. I'm looking for wisdom, from folks wiser that me, on how they perceive the situation. Honestly I think I can say had I been in the group on either side I prob would not be here posting this today. That in-it's self scares the hell out of me.

**** Edit>>> Thanks Eddy > I did not know it was there.

I just read the entire post (7-pages) but gleaned no wisdom from it...

Whitfield screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 10:14 AM
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #25534
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,267
Had a really nice trip up (emphasis on “up”) to Lake George, NY for COG’s annual Fall Foliage Rally. I left a little after 6:00 a.m. Weds. morning and got up there about 5:30 that evening. Distance right around 600 miles. Had about 75 members show up over the course of the event. Excellent riding, food, and camaraderie…. especially with some folks I hadn’t seen for a couple of years. Weather was perfect and the leaves were beginning to turn nicely a little further north and in the higher elevations. This was my 6th. or so time up here for various events, and I absolutely love it.

Left early Sunday morning for the trip home and all was going well until I was approaching the Scranton, PA area. Bike started feeling a little “funny” and at first thought it might have been the rain grooves cut in the pavement. A little more aggressive back and forth jostle of the bars told me I had a problem and immediately pulled off at the next exit and headed to the closest gas station/convenience store. Once stopped and off the bike, a couple of taps with my calibrated boot told me I had a tire that was going flat. I rolled the bike forward while looking at the tire and eventually found this:

This whole episode began around 11:30 Sunday morning, and it was very evident ain’t no tire plug gonna fix this issue.

Most of you will probably jump to the conclusion and assume that I ran over something and cut the tire. Wish that was the case, however, I personally think is was a tire failure caused by a manufacturing problem. I say that, because I had the exact same problem, in exactly the same spot in a previous tire of the same brand and model (Avon AV45 Azaro). Fortunately, I found that problem when the bike was on my lift and I was checking it over prior to taking another trip. Same type of split in the root of the groove, but that one appeared to have some black “crystals” embedded in the separation. At first I thought it was pieces of glass, but am now convinced it was pieces of tire material that had hardened prematurely during the vulcanizing process and created a weak spot. That tire had right at 10,000 miles on it (with plenty of useable tread left) when I found the problem, this one has 3387 on it. Both of those tires had the same date code. A search on the web had me finding several instances where this same type tire had failed for a number of others….. some of them pretty ugly so I feel fortunate that mine just turned out to be a relatively slow leak that allowed me to get to a safe location. Do a search for “Azaro tire failure” and you’ll see what I mean. Needless to say, I will be calling Avon about this.

Getting the bike home was interesting. AMA Motow service was useless as they couldn’t find a dealer that was open in the area to carry the bike to. The lady in India kept asking me where I wanted to carry the bike to. How in Hades do I know not being familiar with the place, plus most of them would also, most likely, be closed on Monday. I damned sure wasn’t going to have the bike taken to a spot that was probably not secure, then I would have had to find transportation to a motel for a couple of days. A search for box vans (U-Haul, Avis, Penske, anyone.) in the area turned up nothing. I called a couple of the COG folks relatively local to the area, but they were unavailable. I eventually called another, a good friend of mine who lives here, and he was kind enough to drag his trailer all the way up there and rescue my sorry arse. Can’t remember what time he eventually got there, but the wait was nerve racking. Once he did arrive, we got the bike loaded and headed south. Got home a little after 3:00 a.m. Monday morning.

I have a new tire (same brand/model) waiting in the wings with a much later date code, but am really hesitant about installing it. Damned sure I don’t want to be caught in the same situation again when I’m out on a long trip. Unfortunately, tire sizes for this bike are getting rare and hard to find so your choices are limited. Bike is on the lift now and I’ll make a command decision shortly. Anyway, that’s my story and am sticking to it.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #25535
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,036
I don't have the energy to comment on the suv vs bike thing, but I just wanted to add. If a guy riding a KLR and wearing a chrome brain bucket came at me I don't know if I would be afraid or just laugh. Gonna getcha with my dohekie.

Man I love you KLR guys I real do.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #25536
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
I don't have the energy to comment on the suv vs bike thing, but I just wanted to add. If a guy riding a KLR and wearing a chrome brain bucket came at me I don't know if I would be afraid or just laugh. Gonna getcha with my dohekie.

Man I love you KLR guys I real do.
There is a nice thread about the NY thing down in JM. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=923678

If I saw a guy riding a KLR with a chrome brain bucket, I'd have to assume someone was giving away chrome brain buckets for free. Maybe it came with the milk crate. As far an opinion on the video, I have to say it is all stupid. It also has me thinking I shouldn't stand up on the pegs in town for a bit lest someone think I'm a stunter, get scared and run me over trying to get away. Some people are going to be nervous around bikes after seeing this. Much of the general public makes no real distinction between those guys and us on our adventure bikes with ATGATT. They just think "bikers". Just like lots of people are scared of all snakes and are not knowledgeable enough to distinguish between a black snake and a copperhead.

Be careful out there, and remember don't be a jackass.

@Guy, I'd be nervous about the tire too. Thanks to whoever took the time to come pick you up also.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #25537
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 824
Guy, I am sorry to hear of your premature tire trouble. That is a very good friend you have who came to get you and the bike. What is that unidentified flying object hovering over the lake in the photo? Blimp?
Old 10-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #25538
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Guy, I am sorry to hear of your premature tire trouble. That is a very good friend you have who came to get you and the bike. What is that unidentified flying object hovering over the lake in the photo? Blimp?
It's a seagull.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #25539
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
...I eventually called another, a good friend of mine who lives here, and he was kind enough to drag his trailer all the way up there and rescue my sorry arse. Can’t remember what time he eventually got there, but the wait was nerve racking. Once he did arrive, we got the bike loaded and headed south. Got home a little after 3:00 a.m. Monday morning...
That friend is a keeper!

Two failures would definitely get my attention on the Avons. Conflicted on what to do about it though - cheap vs scared..
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #25540
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,367
Guy, just run that new tire through the MRI you have in the garage. Oh wait, that is the only piece of equipment you don't have in the garage. I know all about towing. Progressive and AMA have kept me waiting and tried my pateince on numerous occassions. For a while it seemed like the hacked KLR had more mileage on the back of a flat bed than its own odometer.

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 650/719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #25541
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
It's a seagull.

Somehow I find this post way to entertaining. Maybe it is time for me to go home.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #25542
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
That friend is a keeper!

Two failures would definitely get my attention on the Avons. Conflicted on what to do about it though - cheap vs scared..
Actually, they're not really "cheap" tires. I've also gone through 7 or 8 sets of them between my two Connies. Of those, I only had one set that experienced any weirdness, but they never failed. Also got decent mileage out of them... typically 13K for the rears, and 17K for the fronts. Definitely decision time.

Yes, this fellow is a very good friend. I met him when I first joined COG back in 1994. He's also the fella who has the FJR for sale I put a note up about awhile back.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #25543
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Somehow I find this post way to entertaining. Maybe it is time for me to go home.
I also saw that "thing" when I put the pix up on Smugmug, but never looked at it closer. Did so with the original image after the question so I could blow it up and make out what it was.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #25544
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Actually, they're not really "cheap" tires. I've also gone through 7 or 8 sets of them between my two Connies. Of those, I only had one set that experienced any weirdness, but they never failed...
Didn't mean Avon's are cheap tires.

Saying I'd be too cheap, as in tightwad, to throw a new one away but at the same time a little scared of it after two issues.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #25545
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Got to see Chris pass me this morning to get a speeder. Why can't all the big V-twins sound like that bike? I won't say it was loud but it did sound pretty decent as he gunned it past me to get behind the guy in the left lane.

I have to say, I think Chris loves his job. I'm thinking I need to start commuting on the bike.