ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #25606
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Learn me in the ways of the chain. I've never had to do maintenance on a bike with a chain before. Does one need special tools to remove and install? Or do they install as a contiguous unit? I get cleaning and lube, so no issues there. I've just never had a chain bike long enough to know. And I'm assuming sprockets just bolt on?

Guess I'll need a Clymers for the KLR. lol!

Mobile Tagging HQ

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #25607
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Learn me in the ways of the chain. I've never had to do maintenance on a bike with a chain before. Does one need special tools to remove and install? Or do they install as a contiguous unit? I get cleaning and lube, so no issues there. I've just never had a chain bike long enough to know. And I'm assuming sprockets just bolt on?

Mobile Tagging HQ
KLR Chain:

If original chain, it may be endless and you will need a chain breaker to get it off. The alternative is to pull the swing arm. Not fun: Buy a chain breaker.

If a replacement chain it will probably have a master link. To remove, pop off the master link clip, remove the side plate, and slide the master link out to separate the ends. If replacing chain with a clip type master link, you should get a chain press. Pliers work, but a press makes it a whole lot easier. Install the clip with the closed end facing the direction of chain travel. Once installed, use a couple of screwdrivers to pry the side plate out against the master link. If replacing chain with a rivet type master link, you will need a chain riveting tool..... type determined on whether the pins are solid, or dimpled.

Front sprocket is held on with one nut..... 27mm IIRC.

Rear sprocket held on with a series of nuts (8).

Old 10-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #25608
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,557
didja get it already?

Chain is not the big deal some people make out. wipe the crud off, lube it up every now and then and keep it adjusted.. Should go at least 10 if no 20k depending how much offroad mud/grit riding you do. If you find yourself taking up slack every couple rides, that's a good sign it's on it's last leg or if you get stiff kinks in it. new set chain+sprockets will run $140-$200 and takes about as long as changing tires.

Most, including me, do sprockets/chain as a set and that's the only time you'll ever possibly need a tool, even then depending on which type master link you get. I always cut the old ones off with grinder so no tool required there.

Chains come not put together - with a master link.. you can get the clip link which requires no special tool or the rivet link which requires a chain press/rivet peener. Sometimes you might find a deal on a chain a little longer than you want and the chain press comes in handy then when you shorten to your length.

Quote:

Mobile Tagging HQ
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #25609
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,557
Thinking about getting out tomorrow and heading in a generally westward direction on the bike. If anybody wants to go let me know. Probably out on the south side of the James, Cartersville, Howardsville, etc.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #25610
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

I should have added, always determine the amount of free slack in the chain with your butt planted on the seat to compress the suspension. This is due to the location of the front sprocket relative to the pivot point of the swing arm. The chain will tighten as the suspension is compressed.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #25611
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Anyone still going to Morton's Octoberfest tomorrow? I know a lot of you are out of town, lots going on this weekend. Anyway, the wife and I are riding up around 9:30-10:00 to enjoy the event. Hope to run into some of you there.
Scheduled an afternoon test ride of the 700gs so as to get the miles in on my feet in the morning. Was my first real ride of the year, and no problems with the elbow. Hope you guys had fun -- and we are overdue for getting together!

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #25612
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:

Mobile Tagging HQ
Chains are not complicated. Just lube it every 300 to 500 miles. If you think it is time to change it, post up here and someone will help.
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #25613
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 958
Front steering bearing socket tool needed.

2008 GL1800 Goldwing.

Anyone have a 2 1/2" four prong Steering bearing socket tool I can use? I have the bike torn down to the bolt but I need that tool. Id like to replace the steering bearings with All Ball Tapered bearings.

Brenda .... lets do it! Happy to hear you had a good ride.

Morton's had a good turn out today. The weather was perfect. I picked up some odds and ends for the GS.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #25614
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:

Mobile Tagging HQ
I just dealt with my first riveted chain this year. I bought the Motion Pro PBR chain tool ($65) and a RK chain ($110) on Amazon. Easy Peazy. If your chain stretches really quickly, you could have a bad wheel bearing. Ask me how I know.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #25615
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
TAT with Pictures in Google Earth

I am trying something new here with this link.

I was able to import all of my pictures from the TAT trip into a Google Earth KMZ file. This file has 3 key sections. Yellow is the official TAT trail from Colorado to Oregon. Red is the GPS track I actually rode. The picture stream is the pictures I took along the ride GPS located onto the red track.

It's a large file, about 190MEG. You will have to save it locally, open Google Earth, and then open this file. It takes about 3 to 5 minutes to render, and then about 10 minutes to settle down, and then it is a bit slow at first to pan/zoom/tilt... but it speeds up after a bit of caching while using. I just give it like 20 minutes or so before I start to try to mess with it after opening it as it is 7500 images it is trying to cache. It's kinda cool to see the pictures on the trail with the elevation and all in google earth.

Let me know if you have trouble downloading or getting it to work as this is my first time sharing such a file. There may be some gotcha's I need to resolve.

TAT2013.kmz

Smiles,
Karl

btblueskies screwed with this post 10-06-2013 at 09:10 AM
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #25616
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
snapshot view

Here is a snapshot of how it appears in Google Earth

Snapshot

Snapshot1

Smiles,
Karl

btblueskies screwed with this post 10-06-2013 at 09:19 AM
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #25617
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Just for us V-Strom Fans

V-Strom 650 Adventure Where You Least Expect It .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVDon13fUD0
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #25618
fahrenheit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Thinking about getting out tomorrow and heading in a generally westward direction on the bike. If anybody wants to go let me know. Probably out on the south side of the James, Cartersville, Howardsville, etc.
Too bad I didn't see this earlier.
fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #25619
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
V-Strom 650 Adventure Where You Least Expect It .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVDon13fUD0
Vstrom on a MX track had me giggling.

I jumped the tracks at Wingina a few months ago and bottomed out my skidplate on the landing.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #25620
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Vstrom on a MX track had me giggling.

I jumped the tracks at Wingina a few months ago and bottomed out my skidplate on the landing.
LOL!

That's a nasty rise over those tracks.... especially when headed north(?).