ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #25666
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
Thanks Chris! There was a 1200 GS following us through Saturdays Hero section, along with a few other GS bikes. Certainly nothing @ the S-500 that a 990 KTM could not do. Heck the WATR Trail Master was riding a KTM 950 Super Enduro.
Anyone have pictures or videos of the hero sections. I am trying to imagine how bad an permitable trail can be.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #25667
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Anyone have pictures or videos of the hero sections. I am trying to imagine how bad an permitable trail can be.
In the gopro video it just looks like a grassy field.

I could be back on for the poor-man 500. Thought I was out, but had my weekends crossed up.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #25668
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
I started on Dan's XT 225 this morning.

Yesterday in the field my diagnostics were limited, Short on time / In a crowd with many many opinions. AS Dan rolled up and explained the eletrical issue I was able to push start it ~ rode down and back 40 yards but it would only run above 1/2 throttle ~ Returning to Dan we noticed the fuel was off (throw that low speed circuit diagnostic out the window). Dan made the decision not to diagnose it further and take the safe bet of the trailer as opposed to breaking down up in the Mtns. This was the 2nd check point of the day and the only check point we'd run across with a trailer.

This morning 7am:
Static voltage was 12.3 ~ battery was too weak to start the bike / same as yesterday.

Start the bike with a jump pack / on choke / fast idle ~ voltage is 14.03. Charging system is working. Let the bike run for an Hour ~ no issues. Then rode it 30 min with a stop / restart ~ no issues.

With this bike the headlight runs continuous. Yesterday the bike died after a long 1-mile + down hill. Dan said he did find the ground connection at the battery loose. My theory is Headlight + Tail Light + Brake light + GPS + Low RPM + Loose ground = Low current. I'm not sure the charging system can support all of these + the ignition long term at idle. If he was down shifting and engine braking / higher than idle RPM ~ then it's likely something else.

This morning he did say that the battery could be OEM original The Bike is a 2003...
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #25669
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Jealous I missed out. Sounds like it was a great time. Can't wait for Jeff's in a couple weeks.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #25670
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
R1200GSA Turn Signal Cancel Switch.

I busted the turn signal cancel switch on the GSA a couple months ago and was looking to get a replacement for it today and come to find out they don't have that little part as a individual item. Ya have to get the whole 250$ assembly. Lol...

Looks like I may have to use the 3d printer and make a new one :)

Cha! I new that thing would be useful someday...

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #25671
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

It was much more serious than I expected for Forest service trail ~ I was impressed. Looking at the map, I believe it was Union Springs Rd. There was a good hill (down and up) with rock ledges tall enough to smack my skid plate. They up had guys stationed to catch bikes, we jumped off to play catch with a BMW 1200 GS ~ but he needed no assistance. The next Hill climb in particular had 4-6 bikes trapped with back tires buried in the Softball size chunks of loose rubble that made up the hill. I didn't know / could not see them from the bottom. I was able to carefully pick my way between them and reach the top at a slow and steady trials type pace. I'm 99% sure the top of this most difficult Hill Climb was Flag Pole Knob (Or the great clearing prior to). It was just after Flag Pole that Chris and Rich kissed and Rich went down.

After that there were 5+ rock ledges that were tall enough to smack my skid plate as I dropped off (We had to ride back down and find Rich and the others after his crash) Then we got to ride back up again.
Yes, there were alternate lines, but while they did not have the obstacle, changing lines on the hill (with baseballs and softballs for traction) was often more difficult than riding up the ledge. I watched a DR 350 in front of me making this climb take a bad line and get bucked off the trail like he made a left hand turn. He ended up 10-15 ft deep in the weeds and this guy was a B+ maybe an A class rider.

But I wan to know where this is ??? ~ We skipped Sunday after lunch Second mountain / Dictums ridge.

Whitfield screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 04:04 PM
Old 10-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #25672
klim86
veteran

Quote:
It was just after Flag Pole that Chris and Rich kissed and Rich went down.
I hope he doesn't think any less of me for being so easy...
Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back. ― Heraclitus

'04 V-strom 1000, '06 XR650L(sold)
klim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #25673
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Oddometer: 274
Gonzo

She's a beauty! Your favorite color is now persimmon...or maybe apricot.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #25674
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
In the gopro video it just looks like a grassy field.

I could be back on for the poor-man 500. Thought I was out, but had my weekends crossed up.
What do you mean "could"? Sounds like you outta be there. Good news and I hope we see you.

Quote:
It was much more serious than I expected for Forest service trail ~ I was impressed. Looking at the map, I believe it was Union Springs Rd. There was a good hill (down and up) with rock ledges tall enough to smack my skid plate. They up had guys stationed to catch bikes, we jumped off to play catch with a BMW 1200 GS ~ but he needed no assistance. The next Hill climb in particular had 4-6 bikes trapped with back tires buried in the Softball size chunks of loose rubble that made up the hill. I didn't know / could not see them from the bottom. I was able to carefully pick my way between them and reach the top at a slow and steady trials type pace. I'm 99% sure the top of this most difficult Hill Climb was Flag Pole Knob (Or the great clearing prior to). It was just after Flag Pole that Chris and Rich kissed and Rich went down.

After that there were 5+ rock ledges that were tall enough to smack my skid plate as I dropped off (We had to ride back down and find Rich and the others after his crash) Then we got to ride back up again.
Yes, there were alternate lines, but while they did not have the obstacle, changing lines on the hill (with baseballs and softballs for traction) was often more difficult than riding up the ledge. I watched a DR 350 in front of me making this climb take a bad line and get bucked off the trail like he made a left hand turn. He ended up 10-15 ft deep in the weeds and this guy was a B+ maybe an A class rider.
Man. I need to get around more. I always ride the same stuff out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klim86 View Post
I hope he doesn't think any less of me for being so easy...
When I say I need to get around more I don't mean that I am easy like Klim. Too funny. "Think less of me..." LOL
Old 10-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #25675
RimBenty
Bender of Rims

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Fantastic. Glad to hear it went well. We saw loads of bikes in trucks heading east on our way over here yesterday.

So come be one of the ride guides for our Poor Man's S500 in 3 weeks. If we get 10-15 riders, it would probably be best to ride in 3 smaller groups; making sure someone had tools, air compressor, etc, in each group. We could also make a beginners group, large bike group, or an insane "hero" group who could do any amount of nasty stuff they want.

jeff

We need to get the poor mans 500 organized now that the SH-500 is over and we know the forest roads are open.

I'll have route charts and GPS tracks for the ride.
The GPS tracks will load into either a 60csx or a Montana. The 60csx has track limitations so I have different files for each unit. If you have a different GPS one of them should work but no guarantees.

I agree with Jeff splitting up into groups would be best. Hopefully with someone familiar with the roads in each group. I always carry tools and a flat repair kit with me.

I'm planning to do some recon on Tuesday the 15th to finalize the route. Why Tuesday? My next two weekends are now full, I still have three weeks of vacation to use before the end of the year and my son doesn't have any classes on Tuesdays so he can go with me. If anyone wants to come along let me know. Both of us have WR250Rs so keep that in mind.
RimBenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #25676
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimBenty View Post

I'm planning to do some recon on Tuesday the 15th to finalize the route. Why Tuesday? My next two weekends are now full, I still have three weeks of vacation to use before the end of the year and my son doesn't have any classes on Tuesdays so he can go with me. If anyone wants to come along let me know. Both of us have WR250Rs so keep that in mind.
Day Trip? I'm off Tuesday the 15th ~ Rest of the fam has work / school.
Keeping up with WR250's = FUN!
I try to be 100% self sufficient, spare clutch cable routed and ready / Spare leavers / NEW DID o-ring chain / 2-spare tubes ~ I've gotten the 20 min tube change down pat ~ with a second bike kickstand to break the rear 18x5.10 bead.

Whitfield screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 05:39 PM
Old 10-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #25677
RimBenty
Bender of Rims

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Day Trip? I'm off Tuesday the 15th ~ Rest of the fam has work / school.
Keeping up with WR250's = FUN!
I try to be 100% self sufficient, spare clutch cable routed and ready / Spare leavers / NEW DID o-ring chain / 2-spare tubes ~ I've gotten the 20 min tube change down pat ~ with a second bike kickstand to break the rear 18x5.10 bead.
Sweet! I was afraid it would just be the two of us. I'll shoot you a PM
Anyone else?
RimBenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #25678
klim86
veteran

Quote:
Klim, that was a mean cut on your arm
I took some advice from your signature and rubbed some dirt in it. But seriously Ill be alright, it doesn't hurt, just a little tender.
Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back. ― Heraclitus

'04 V-strom 1000, '06 XR650L(sold)
klim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:04 AM   #25679
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 667
You people rock. Got a couple more offers to either test one of the bikes listed above out or just borrow a bike for a ride sometime between now and whenever I find my next set of wheels.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn

MotoMujer screwed with this post 10-08-2013 at 08:47 AM
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #25680
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
That trail looked knarly Whitfield! I really need to get a skid plate and handlebar guards still.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote