ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #25711
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Somewhere on this thread there's a picture of a bunch of us at the T.G. with you and Eddy proudly displaying your freshly ripped off skidplates.. So you never put it back?
Man, it took me forever to find this pic
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #25712
rctr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
I showed up late that day Mike!

Jimmy
Rctr
Old 10-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #25713
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
I learned something this weekend...You cannot actually ride a GS the way BMW advertises in the "Unstoppable" TV/magazine ads. Doing so will either bend a rim, or as I discovered by doing a little research, it will bend the rear shock bolt, bend the frame, bottom out the suspension terribly or bend the handlebars. And just for the record, it has happended to plenty of sub 200 pound guys!

So, any recommendaitons for local wheel/rims repairs? I bent both sides of my front rim (at the same location on the rim) this weekend. F800GS rims are famous for bending if deflated below street psi recommendations (32). I contacted Woody's Wheel Works in Denver and e-mailed them some pictures. They said that it's right on the border between needed a repair versus a replacement. A repair would be around $125 plus shipping. A new snazzy Excel rim (maybe in gold or silver) with super thick spokes laced up to my stock hub would be $530 ($343 parts, $186 labor). For a extra $99, they will prep the rim to be TUBELESS! Even though it would be awesome to run tubeless and have cool, MUCH stronger rims than the stock junk, $630 is nonetheless is a lot more than $125.

This is the left side of the rim. A very mild bend:

This is the right side of the rim, much worse:

This is what a snazzy Woody's Wheel might look like (Why go with a stock look if you are paying for aftermarket? LOL.")

Dude! That sux.

Get yourself a new hoop and spokes and lace it up yourself. Much more cost effective. Time consuming? Yes! Get rim and spokes in size you want, drill the factory hub. That is all that they are going to do. Woody's stuff is the shite, but if you want to save some coin??? It's not that complicated.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #25714
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Man, it took me forever to find this pic
Need to get the coordinates to the vaunted TG. If I can break the Black Dog plate off of the SE! I will give each of you ONE (1) US dollar. If I break it good! I might even make it ONE (1) Canadian Dolla.......

Old 10-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #25715
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
you might end up waiting all day for help.
Sometimes that is the only situation I have to actually have time to sit down and do nothing... and I oddly find it satisfying :) !!

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #25716
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
... I contacted Woody's Wheel Works in Denver ...A new snazzy Excel rim (maybe in gold or silver) with super thick spokes laced up to my stock hub would be $530 ($343 parts, $186 labor). ....
When the KTM folks at the Snowshoe rally led me to trash my front wheel I went to Woody's WW and did not hesitate to get the 1.85" Super Sized, Super laced front wheel...I have hammered that thing on a loaded 990 and am happy to report no problems....if you want to ride hard then extra dollars may be worth it

Hagerman Pass is one rocky sum-bitch

My front end bottomed a 'few' times on that route and my fender suffered the damage...not the wheel...

Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #25717
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
I've got two bent wheels at Woody's now for repair. Just waiting for the owner to give me the go ahead to get it done. It's a no-brainer for me: $2300 vs $340.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #25718
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Does anyone have a hitch mounted motorcycle hauler I could buy or borrow?

I'm looking to ride GWNF next Tuesday and would prefer not to tow a trailer if I do not have to.

Thanks,
Michael
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #25719
klim86
veteran

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post

I'm looking to ride GWNF next Tuesday and would prefer not to tow a trailer if I do not have to.

Thanks,
Michael
Harbor freight usually sells them for around $120. http://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-...ier-99721.html I think I have a coupon book for that place, prob save you about $20/20%. Ill give it to you when I give you your clutch lever.
Rich
Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back. ― Heraclitus

'04 V-strom 1000, '06 XR650L(sold)
klim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #25720
REAPER_ONE
YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer: 3,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by klim86 View Post
Harbor freight usually sells them for around $120. http://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-...ier-99721.html I think I have a coupon book for that place, prob save you about $20/20%. Ill give it to you when I give you your clutch lever.
Rich

I got mine from harbor freight 2 years ago.. Similar price. I use mine for the 450; hauled over 5k miles with no issues. A must if you have an enduro and don't want to drag up and down a truck bed by yourself. Easy to load, strap, and unload by yourself.
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #25721
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,984
Quote:

Thanks,
Michael
I do, but I'm not in P-town right now. Won't be back before you go. However, I may be over here to ride with you two, if I can swing it. Hopefully the streams will be back down by then.

But if I'm in town and you need it, it is yours.

Jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #25722
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,761
Eddie,

Woody's is the right answer. My front wheel was bashed out of round and I had a ton of weights hung on it to balance it out. I could check my weight supply and see if I could get you through to winter. I'm a good balancer and could help it I bet. Let me know. I have also beaten a bad spot down with care, improving it. You'd be surprised with how smooth a bent rim can be. You have nothing to lose trying at this point.

Heavy bikes need much more air too. I say air up hard until it pushes in the turns on gravel then back off until it sticks. In heavy rocks air is more better.

In the short term safety is the only concern here, re the bead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 10-11-2013 at 06:04 AM
Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:05 AM   #25723
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:

Thanks,
Michael
I have one your welcome to use anytime, seeing as I sold all the little bikes. Its behind the shed beside the house, stop by and grab it.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #25724
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB13 View Post
If you don't have a skid plate you really should NOT go! AB
I just have the stock, postage stamp on rubbers type. You would think ripping it off twice would have learned me good.
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
Old 10-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #25725
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Eddy,

Talk to Whipit about your wheel and shock bolt. He laced an excel and said it wasn't as bad as you would think. I have actually been thinking about going to a 21" up front, maybe we need to have a lace party this winter..... He also had said something about changing that shock bolt, not sure if his bent or not.
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)