ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #25891
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,059
I like it! Great looks, modern and classic BMW styling cues at the same time, S1000RR front end, 110 hp, ridiculous brakes and a sensible seating position! Too bad it will be $16,000+...For $9000 A Honda CB1100 looks better!

Motorcycle online: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/bmw/2014-bmw-r-ninet-unveiling.html

170 Hi Res images: http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/bmw-r-ninet-photos/

ADV thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=927556

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 10:15 AM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #25892
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
I like that a lot, but would probably never justify the pricing. For one of those I'm sure I can have my WR250R, a Street Triple, and an adventure or track bike of some kind.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #25893
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 656
Is there a rule on this thread/site about mentioning a car FS? I recently got a '14 Forrester; no longer need the '12 Impreza. Hadn't planned on posting all the details on ADV, but wanted to mention it in case anyone might be interested and wants to PM me for info.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #25894
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
Is there a rule on this thread/site about mentioning a car FS? I recently got a '14 Forrester; no longer need the '12 Impreza. Hadn't planned on posting all the details on ADV, but wanted to mention it in case anyone might be interested and wants to PM me for info.
Go to the flea market and post it under "other". Then paste a link in the Richmond thread in case someone locally may be interested. I seriously doubt anyone would say anything, you would certainly not be the first to do so.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #25895
mattgoff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
FWIW I've found that Target is a pretty good option for thermals etc. Better price than REI. I was just there and they have winter stuff with the thermals marked Light, Warm, Warmer, Warmest and thinner fleece jackets and pants good for layering.
mattgoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #25896
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,397
Cold Weather Camping Advice Links

Here's a link to more useful information on cold weather camping. I found it on ADV.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711283

I just read the whole thread. Lots of really good information!!!

Here's a link with more info on cold weather camping. "Lightweight Camping for Motorcycle Travel: Revised Edition"

http://books.google.com/books?id=jWK...amping&f=false

MADSTROM screwed with this post 10-21-2013 at 02:53 PM
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #25897
MoonBeamer
The Mountains are calling

Oddometer: 96
I have been working on a Single-Track trail behind my house. These are some videos I took over three days worth of work. The last one I had some help and is worth watching because the trail is almost complete.

2010 R1200GS Ready for Adventure
MoonBeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #25898
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeamer View Post
I have been working on a Single-Track trail behind my house.
These are some videos I took over three days worth of work.
The last one I had some help and is worth watching because the trail is almost complete....
Awesome backyard bush whacking...hilarious sound bytes
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #25899
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
I have been working on a Single-Track trail behind my house. These are some videos I took over three days worth of work. The last one I had some help and is worth watching because the trail is almost complete.
Great to watch with a cup of coffee. Darth Vader plays pinball in a Looney Tunes cartoon! Great job.

What did you edit it on/with? Windows or Mac? Like the pinball sounds.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #25900
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,909
Sand washes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Hey Richmond thought I'd show you Crown King today....decent 300+ mile ride today....ya, it was dusty but that is 'par for the course' out here ....
rocks, ya we got rocks, lots of 'em...sand wash you ask...sure, I HATE those...no practice back east ...its fall so with temps @85* its time to ride
Geez Mike, rub it in. Not only do you have nice temps, I'll bet the ground isn't muddy and wet like it is here. Wish you could join us for the Po Folk's S500 this weekend. It is going to be fun. I mean, there is nothing like riding a hunters access road that is two track, and finding the track you are in is frozen water, covered with leaves..... Even knobbies don't do ice very well.

Glad I'll be on the XR and not the big pig of a GS. It's easier to pick up!

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #25901
klim86
veteran

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Awesome videos! Let me know if you need a hand with any of the labor or riding . After see those videos I'm sure I'm not the only one standing by for the ride day.
Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back. ― Heraclitus

'04 V-strom 1000, '06 XR650L(sold)
klim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #25902
Jersey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Anyone up for adv ride wed,thurs, fri?
Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #25903
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Jeff and Dan,
I am 90% sure that I am going up on Friday. I strained my left calf while running on Sunday and made it much worse last night after some friendly grappling/sparring. I'm using ice, Motrin and an ace wrap but I'm not sure how much standing on the pegs I'll be doing this weekend. Getting old sucks!
Old 10-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #25904
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,981
Coming from the Motherland

So I've been in Frankfurt for two days now and have not really seen any of the cool bikes I was expecting to see. I've seen one of the BMW scooters with the roof and seatbelts, a bunch of piaggo and fiat scoots and one larger Yamaha dual sport with dial headlights. I also have decided I like the bell on a bicycle as a much better warning they want to pass instead of the yelled at the last second "on your left" that I get from the bike riders on Belle Isle back home. I did see an AC cobra and a random Ferrari.

I have seen some interesting cell phone use. One man was texting with his left while riding his scooter in his business suit. Another lady was riding her bike just fine in traffic while talking on her phone. It appears it isn't just americans addicted to the stupid phones. I guess on the scooter and bike they are les likely to hut anyone else as badly as in a car.

I also need to just say, google maps walking directions leaves a bit to be desired. My 2km walk to the office turned into 3. My walk back turned into 4 km. It doesn't do good with re-routing when you cannot cross a major street where it wants. On the way back to the hotel, it decided to loop me back to my starting point instead of recalculate from my having walked an extra block. Usually I'm not too directionally challenged but all the curved streets look very similar. I opened up apple maps for a moment and it thought I was in Ohio, so I closed it. I am going to try and wing it tomorrow and find my way without their walking directions. I cannot do much worse.

Other things to remember, if they sell Donner there, the food is probably not very good unless you like donner.
Soda actually taste good when it is made with the real ingredients. I forgot that I actually like sprite.
Cab drivers are the same everywhere. There must be a rule that requires them to talk on one cell phone while texting on another while ignoring all lane markings and speed limits to quickly get to your destination. Bonus if the vehicle has no alignment and 4 bent and badly unbalanced wheels.
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #25905
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Great vid, cool trails! When you want to wear then in some more, please let me know!