ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #25906
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,892
Getting ready to roll

I'm stocking up at the grocery store today. Will be packing tonight and rolling out early tomorrow morning. Anyone with any last questions? If you need written instructions on how to get there, PM me with an email address and I can send you a Word doc. Also, remember that there is no cell service past Churchville (down near Staunton on 250) or west of Harrisonburg on 33. If anyone needs contact with their families, they (your families) need to have my landline # that I sent out in the PM. The area code is 304.

I am so pumped about this. The only bad thing about freezing temps is that it makes the ground REALLY hard when you come off the bike. The good news is there won't be any mud!

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #25907
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
So I've been in Frankfurt for two days now and have not really seen any of the cool bikes I was expecting to see. I've seen one of the BMW scooters with the roof and seatbelts, a bunch of piaggo and fiat scoots and one larger Yamaha dual sport with dial headlights. I also have decided I like the bell on a bicycle as a much better warning they want to pass instead of the yelled at the last second "on your left" that I get from the bike riders on Belle Isle back home. I did see an AC cobra and a random Ferrari.

I have seen some interesting cell phone use. One man was texting with his left while riding his scooter in his business suit. Another lady was riding her bike just fine in traffic while talking on her phone. It appears it isn't just americans addicted to the stupid phones. I guess on the scooter and bike they are les likely to hut anyone else as badly as in a car.

I also need to just say, google maps walking directions leaves a bit to be desired. My 2km walk to the office turned into 3. My walk back turned into 4 km. It doesn't do good with re-routing when you cannot cross a major street where it wants. On the way back to the hotel, it decided to loop me back to my starting point instead of recalculate from my having walked an extra block. Usually I'm not too directionally challenged but all the curved streets look very similar. I opened up apple maps for a moment and it thought I was in Ohio, so I closed it. I am going to try and wing it tomorrow and find my way without their walking directions. I cannot do much worse.

Other things to remember, if they sell Donner there, the food is probably not very good unless you like donner.
Soda actually taste good when it is made with the real ingredients. I forgot that I actually like sprite.
Cab drivers are the same everywhere. There must be a rule that requires them to talk on one cell phone while texting on another while ignoring all lane markings and speed limits to quickly get to your destination. Bonus if the vehicle has no alignment and 4 bent and badly unbalanced wheels.
Best part of this post.

I'd like to go to Germany sometime in the next year or two.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #25908
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,944
So this morning I ignored the phone other than to glance at the map as I was getting closer to my destination. looking at the map, I've found myself an easy to follow route that will be pretty much the same even after I change hotels in a couple days.

I also discovered that in taking my phone in and out of my pocket during the unplanned safari around the city, I managed to drop my office keycard and it appears to be forever lost.

Also the German word of the day is "genau". I'll leave it for everyone else to look up the exact definition. I heard it so much in the last couple days I had to look it up.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #25909
Jeff Munn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post

Also the German word of the day is "genau". I'll leave it for everyone else to look up the exact definition. I heard it so much in the last couple days I had to look it up.
It all depends on the inflection. It can range from an agreement with what you've said, all the way to "D'uh"!

I miss Germany so badly. Enjoy yourself and go visit the old part of Frankfurt on the river. Cross over, and you are in Sachsenhausen, the party part of town.

jeff

Old 10-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #25910
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
It all depends on the inflection. It can range from an agreement with what you've said, all the way to "D'uh"!

I miss Germany so badly. Enjoy yourself and go visit the old part of Frankfurt on the river. Cross over, and you are in Sachsenhausen, the party part of town.

jeff
Sounds like a good place for a BIRTHDAY party.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #25911
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 653
Take notes Jeremy, my friends in Zurich will be moving to Dusseldorf in December, and thus I will be pinballing around Germany more in the future -- would love to hear about Frankfurt. If you are looking for an excursion outside the city, Heidelberg Castle (Schloss Heidelberg) isn't far and I thought worth a visit.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #25912
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 857
Genau

Genau translated to English means exactly. Like saying "your exactly right".

I heard it a lot back in the 70's when I was based in Germany in the US Army. Google translate is an awesome app. It's voice activated.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #25913
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Pretty wild.

2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 10-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #25914
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,046
My DRZ has a new home in the Fan. It was sold to a gentleman named Jeb who is fairly new to bikes. He has a really cool mid-70's Honda 250 dual sport that is in great shape as well. I suspect he will be swapping back the DRZ's original dog bones as he is at least 8" taller than me. I told him about this thread and encouraged him to tag along on some rides.
My calf is feeling MUCH better, I'm really looking forward to this weekend! Still debating between working harder to go fast on the 800GS or cheating and having a ball on the KTM...
Old 10-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #25915
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Genau translated to English means exactly. Like saying "your exactly right".

I heard it a lot back in the 70's when I was based in Germany in the US Army. Google translate is an awesome app. It's voice activated.
Nobody picked up that I had already looked it up. I guess my hint of the meaning when I told everyone to look up the "exact" definition was too subtle.

It was a new word for me. Normal everyday spoken German is different than what I studied in HS. I know enough to be a semi functional illiterate and to tell someone I cannot understand them. I was impressed with myself last night though because I was able to go into a couple stores and make purchases without the cashier resorting to english. Not that I come off that suave and proficient, more like just dumb and unable to speak other than hello and good buy and badly mispronounced words from the menu.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #25916
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Any of you at Legends last night? I saw a couple yellow GS's out and about in Richmond, and then one at Legend. Also I saw a KLX250SM a while back parked in one of the lots off Cary who works down there. I assume he just does come on here, but I saw a red Vstrom in his spot yesterday. Crazy the Adventure riders out there that don't actually use ADV Rider.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 10-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #25917
Jeff Munn

Forecast for Po Folks S500 (Pendleton County) this weekend

Friday hi 47F low 26F small chance of rain
Saturday hi 53F low 34F sunny
Sunday hi 52F sunny

Our place is at 2700ft elevation, so it will be a little cooler at night. Come prepared to start the ride Saturday morning in the low 30's. Bring good winter gloves and a knit cap for sitting around the bonfire....

jeff

Old 10-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #25918
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
... Still debating between working harder to go fast on the 800GS or cheating and having a ball on the KTM...
Working harder vs having a ball? Hmmm.. what to do?

Stock seat on that ktm? That's a possible downside.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #25919
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Friday hi 47F low 26F small chance of rain
Saturday hi 53F low 34F sunny
Sunday hi 52F sunny

Our place is at 2700ft elevation, so it will be a little cooler at night. Come prepared to start the ride Saturday morning in the low 30's. Bring good winter gloves and a knit cap for sitting around the bonfire....

jeff
Brrrr! At least we won't need ice for the beer! I really wish y 650 had heated grips. I think I will wire up the heated jacket liner I recently bought used. Never used one so I don't know if they are ideal for technical riding that creates body heat. Couldn't hurt I guess.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #25920
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Still debating between working harder to go fast on the 800GS or cheating and having a ball on the KTM...
KTM KTM KTM KTM kinda need to sing / chant it like a monk KKKKKTTTTTOOOOMMMM KKKKKTTTTTOOOOMMMM KKKKKTTTTTOOOOMMMM

Ever seen Monte Python..... wham KKKKKKTTTTOOOOMMMM wham KKKKKTTTTOOOOMMMM wham
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote