ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #26026
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I opened imovie and it needed to make thumbnails for skimming. ETA was four hours. I went to bed... I did not hear Jeff blow the horn when you hit the dirt so i kept riding and the video continues. i had just started it not 30 seconds before your big performance. I will trim the end and post to Youtube tonight. It may be late when I get to it. I will put some slow-mo in also. Jeff got in the way of the camera when you and the bike hit. How rude.
Stupid Jeff!
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #26027
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,915
Extra normal video about buying a GS

While we wait for the next GoPro video of "Jarred" bouncing off the dirt, here is the xtra Normal video of the guy wanting to buy a GS motorcycle.

I'd like to buy one of those GS motorcycles please

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #26028
mattgoff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
While we wait for the next GoPro video of "Jarred" bouncing off the dirt, here is the xtra Normal video of the guy wanting to buy a GS motorcycle.

I'd like to buy one of those GS motorcycles please

jeff
Bahahahahahahaha Jeff...I was going to make a comment about how the leaves and winding roads between your farm and Sugar Grove made me feel like I was in a BMW commercial...that combined with my clichéd purchase of the Rallye suit with "genuine whale foreskin" liners and that my first set of tires were done in by a nail in the road to my favorite coffee shop might lead folks to the conclusion that I don't get her dirty...we know after this weekend that's not true...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattgoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #26029
RimBenty
Bender of Rims

Oddometer: 271
Jared your crash looked pretty crazy. Then I was reading your comment “Doctor fears there may be a radial head fracture “ “in my elbow” oh, ok, whew, had me worried. I went down early Saturday too and my shoulder was sore but the more I moved around and warmed up the better it felt, I feel pretty good now.

Macon, his buddy Jeff and I rode most of the Saturday track and about half of Sunday. I think Macon said it was a little over 230 miles for the weekend.

Jeff you deserve a big thanks for inviting everyone to your place. I had a great time and everyone was super nice. Nothing beats a great ride with great people. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Here's your frozen gator.

A picture from Long Run rd. on Sunday
RimBenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #26030
fahrenheit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Jeff, you have an amazing place out there with great history and I really like your ideas and intentions for its future. Karl bringing his lady along and you giving a tour of the old Homestead turned out an in interesting find of the old wooden door. I wish I could have toured the Homestead and seen the old door. Maybe I will get up there again to see it.
Quote:
Again, thanks everyone. I love this crowd and learned a lot this weekend; especially from Sarah during the tour of the old homestead. Recognizing what that door was, truly was freaking amazing.
Alright, you got me.. can we, ok I am probably the only one who didn't make it to hear it firsthand, get the story about this mystery door?
fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #26031
JTOliver
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
I opened imovie and it needed to make thumbnails for skimming. ETA was four hours. I went to bed... I did not hear Jeff blow the horn when you hit the dirt so i kept riding and the video continues. i had just started it not 30 seconds before your big performance. I will trim the end and post to Youtube tonight. It may be late when I get to it. I will put some slow-mo in also. Jeff got in the way of the camera when you and the bike hit. How rude.

I wasn't being rude I was protecting his reputation!!
JTOliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #26032
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 2,974
Laugh Rust removal....

i was just gonna send a linky to Guy B Young II about my recent tribulations cause we be kinda old FF's with a tude... and we hoard secrets..., but thought I'd share it with my former local's, so here, check this out...
if you have rusted steel parts, take a close look, and come back and see the final finish of this adventure...
this is priceless info, to restore stuff of great value...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=15531.0

lemme know if you likey...
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #26033
JTOliver
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I want to say thanks to Jeff for having us out to his farm. It was a real good time. Lots of great guys and good riding. Look forward to doing it again!
JTOliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #26034
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTOliver View Post
I want to say thanks to Jeff for having us out to his farm. It was a real good time. Lots of great guys and good riding. Look forward to doing it again!
Hey Jeff. Welcome to the nut house.

I can't post to YouTube. My Account has been deleted and is no longer recoverable. How the ____ does that happen? Did I not use it enough? I don't feel like setting up another account now so moving to plan B.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #26035
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,915
Mystery door

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrenheit View Post
Alright, you got me.. can we, ok I am probably the only one who didn't make it to hear it firsthand, get the story about this mystery door?
It is kind of hard to put into a Reader's Digest version. The current homestead was built around 1845. The first deed for the valley was from an English Land grant in 1790. The first owner was named Henry Amick. He was born in Pennsylvania, fought in the Revolutionary War, moved to Pendleton County, bought the valley, and died in 1830. All this is documented thru the deeds on record. We think we found, in the attic of the 1845 log homestead, a door that appears to be from the late 1700's. There are very faint carvings on it, with the initials, H and A. The A is carved in a style so that it looks like a compass and a square. There is also an all seeing EYE faintly carved on the door. The H and A are exactly as hand carved on the primitive tombstone of Henry Amick, which we still have.

We believe that since he died on the property not 15 years before the current homestead was built, it is possible the new homestead was built from the salvage of his original home. It is quite possible it could be the door from the first home built in that valley back in the late 1790's, Henry Amick's home.

That is way cool. Many of the first Germanic settlers in the region were known to be Masons. A whole lot of historical hearsay just all came together this weekend. It is hard to believe that door was just garbage left over that couldn't be sold during the estate auction in 1973. It has been laying in that portion of the attic, just waiting to be found since then. Only a preservation historian like Karl's girlfriend could have seen it for what it truly was. I just connected the dots when she started looking at it closely in the light of day.

Thank you Karl, and thank you Sarah. I think we found a truly historic artifact for all of Pendleton County.

I am sorry for the thread hijack. But I was asked about it........ and tried to keep it short.

Jarred posted a frosty morning picture of the old homestead. It is beautiful and very unique.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom

Jeff Munn screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 08:23 PM
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #26036
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Thanks Jeff, I was wondering what the story was about this door. Interesting!
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:20 AM   #26037
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 893
photo

Quote:
Jeff Munn
Jarred posted a frosty morning picture of the old homestead. It is beautiful and very unique.
WOW ..... That is an incredible photo of the old homestead! That should be one for the wall and the history book.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:38 AM   #26038
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
WOW ..... That is an incredible photo of the old homestead! That should be one for the wall and the history book.
This one may be a little clearer, and bigger. It's hard to tell on my washed out computer screen. Looks 100 times better on my phone though.

2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:16 AM   #26039
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Thumb

Quote:
It is kind of hard to put into a Reader's Digest version. The current homestead was built around 1845. The first deed for the valley was from an English Land grant in 1790. The first owner was named Henry Amick. He was born in Pennsylvania, fought in the Revolutionary War, moved to Pendleton County, bought the valley, and died in 1830. All this is documented thru the deeds on record. We think we found, in the attic of the 1845 log homestead, a door that appears to be from the late 1700's. There are very faint carvings on it, with the initials, H and A. The A is carved in a style so that it looks like a compass and a square. There is also an all seeing EYE faintly carved on the door. The H and A are exactly as hand carved on the primitive tombstone of Henry Amick, which we still have.

We believe that since he died on the property not 15 years before the current homestead was built, it is possible the new homestead was built from the salvage of his original home. It is quite possible it could be the door from the first home built in that valley back in the late 1790's, Henry Amick's home.

That is way cool. Many of the first Germanic settlers in the region were known to be Masons. A whole lot of historical hearsay just all came together this weekend. It is hard to believe that door was just garbage left over that couldn't be sold during the estate auction in 1973. It has been laying in that portion of the attic, just waiting to be found since then. Only a preservation historian like Karl's girlfriend could have seen it for what it truly was. I just connected the dots when she started looking at it closely in the light of day.

Thank you Karl, and thank you Sarah. I think we found a truly historic artifact for all of Pendleton County.
Super cool!
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #26040
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 918
Quote:
It is kind of hard to put into a Reader's Digest version.

I am sorry for the thread hijack. But I was asked about it........ and tried to keep it short.

jeff
That didn't seem too hard. Maybe you can write pieces for the Digest about Old Time living and the preservation of such things. You have a great personality that draws people in and you are a great story teller.

Hijacking? No. This is what the Chatter thread is for, right? There are always multiple conversations going on at once and I don't think anyone is every hijacking anything here. I brought up the door because I found it extremely interesting and thought others would too. If anything, I should apologize for setting you up for a forced explanation. The love of riding and of motorcycles is what brings us together here, but it is the unrelated conversations of family, history and other things that all of you bring to this thread that make it so interesting. I don't know if I would learn something new nearly everyday if I were not following this thread.