ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #26041
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,107
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
Thanks Jeff, I was wondering what the story was about this door. Interesting!
Jeff, you might have something a bit more than a simple door, it was a custom in that period to both carry a deceased down and out of a building, and also to display the dearly departed one, on a door; this would explain the application of the Masonic symbols also, as in those times The Freemasons did have a lot of power. My dad was a Freemason, and their were a lot of ritualistic things they did prior to & after his funeral, and still to this day items appear on his gravesite.

this may explain a bit more.
http://friendsofoakgrovecemetery.org...t-deaths-door/

you may have in your possession, the last place he was laid to rest upon during his wake.
Vey unique indeed.

in Masonry, as in many forms of religion, a door symbolizes the "portal" to another "place/life", I believe it may have been intentionally utilized as his resting place during the ceremonies the Mason's would have held in his honor prior to his funeral.

MAN OF BLUES screwed with this post 10-29-2013 at 10:14 AM
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #26042
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Thank you Karl, and thank you Sarah. I think we found a truly historic artifact for all of Pendleton County.
jeff

I will pass this on to Sarah, she will be glad to hear it

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #26043
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 905
Alpinestar Tech3 Boots
The DRZ400 is gone. I have a pair of Alpinestar Tech3 Boots for sale. Like new. Size 12. I think I paid just over $200. I'd like to get around $150 for them. Listing them here first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #26044
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 997
Hits the Dust

I don't feel like creating a new Youtube account after they permanently closed my account for an unknown reason. I am dying to know why, but don't have time to bother with it. I am sure a clue can be found in the 1000+ unread messages in my dormant gmail account. Anyway, below is a link to Burtonrider's spill on my Picasa photo sharing page.It will take you to a page of pics/videos and it will be the second to last one.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1130096...eat=directlink

Quality is terrible. I have not had time to remember the best way to export out of imovie. You can switch it over to 1080 for some improvement.

Dirtmonkey8 screwed with this post 10-29-2013 at 05:49 PM
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #26045
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I don't feel like creating a new Youtube account after they permanently closed my account for an unknown reason. I am dying to know why, but don't have time to bother with it. I am sure a clue can be found in the 1000+ unread messages in my dormant gmail account. Anyway, below is a link to Burtonrider's spill on my Picasa photo sharing page.It will take you to a page of pics/videos and it will be the second to last one.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1130096...eat=directlink

Quality is terrible. I have not had time to remember the best way to export out of imovie. You can switch it over to 1080 for some improvement.
Had a nice long slide there! Looks like I was trying to put my left foot down to slow me down for some reason. That angle showed pretty good how the bike got hurt on the left while I got hurt on the right. It felt like I flew to the right of the handlebars but I guess I just smacked down right in front of the bike. I was quick to my feet though.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:48 AM   #26046
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Wicked

Glad you all had a good time in the mountains and everyone is back safe.

Today is my last day in Richmond and I don't have any plans to come back unless my girlfriend drags me back to visit her family (and pays for my ticket) so you won't be seeing me around anymore.

I just wanted to say thanks for all the laughs and friendship to everyone who I actually rode with or met in person. Especially to Macon, Andrew, Mark, Chuck, Michael, Dan, Karl, Big Mike, Ric, Roald, and D.G. You guys are a good bunch and it was great to learn from you all out there on the trails. I will never be able to see big bikes as poser bikes again after seeing them in the capable hands of Andrew particularly. It's the rider, not the bike! And you are all good riders and good guys.

If you exchanged harsh words with me we probably never met in person, and while you may have felt like I was hijacking the thread in here or intruding in your relaxation space I think that if we would have ridden together you might not have judged me so harshly.

I still encourage you guys to think about what is happening to society in general and what you can do to turn things around. All it takes a lot of times is to start up a conversation and big things can start to happen. Liberty is not a political issue, it's a human issue.

Keep the shiny side up!
Old 10-30-2013, 05:57 AM   #26047
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 997
Nice post BB. I wish we could have gotten one more chance to explore Chester together or hit the hills but time has run out. It was good to meet you and your better half and I am not talking about the 400. I know you will have a good time out there and I wish all of you luck in settling in, finding work, friends, etc. Let us see what we are missing, but don't slap us too hard in the face with it. My buddies in AK like to call me at work and tell me how much powder they are about to drop into as the ride the first tram to the top of the mountain and it drives me nuts. Always take the high road and keep your shiny side up as well.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #26048
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Alpinestar Tech3 Boots
The DRZ400 is gone.
Chuck...Do you seriously think that you are done with small bikes forever?!
Come with me for just one day to the CCDR track and I'll have you lusting for a barely street legal KTM in no time!
Keep the boots!

P.S. Anybody need a stock F800GS saddle? I'm going to put mine on the FM soon.

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 10-30-2013 at 07:17 AM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #26049
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Keep the shiny side up!
Best wishes on the new road.... wishing you well.

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #26050
klim86
veteran

2-3 nov

Anyone up for a ride this weekend?
Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back. ― Heraclitus

'04 V-strom 1000, '06 XR650L(sold)
klim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #26051
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Bastard ~ good luck, It was great riding with you.

Klim ~ If something else comes up take it...
I maybe able to ride local, afterwards ~ Saturday morning there is a Kiwanis Club pancake breakfast at the Colonial Heights middle school 500 Conduit Rd Colonial Heights, VA 23834 Tickets at the door ~ $4 7am - 12pm.
From there I think my daughter has a club activity. I'll have to see what wifey is planning.

Burton ~ if you would like the bars / they are yours. If not, No worries. If you are upgrading I understand. That is where these came from. Stock chains / stock bars / stock tires are good for a few rides.
Whitfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #26052
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Looking for Wife / Kid friendly Fall ATV ride

Wifey doesn't ride her XR 100 any more since surgery / life long blood thinners (Medical condition). Anyone have any suggestions for Wife / Kid friendly local ATV ride?

My wife and daughter could be happy with golf cart paths ~ if they were legal... Just my way of saying that they are not out for the challenge ~ no offense to the golfers. (Both are capable enough to ride 95% of Chester x) But they just want to get out in the woods and ride while enjoy the fall weather / colors.

Looks like my pay to ride options are Hatfield McCoy / Burning rock / South Pedlar / Slades / Busco Beach. Looking to avoid the crazies and the mud ~ which may be impossible.
Whitfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #26053
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
Wifey doesn't ride her XR 100 any more since surgery / life long blood thinners (Medical condition). Anyone have any suggestions for Wife / Kid friendly local ATV ride?

My wife and daughter could be happy with golf cart paths ~ if they were legal... Just my way of saying that they are not out for the challenge ~ no offense to the golfers. (Both are capable enough to ride 95% of Chester x) But they just want to get out in the woods and ride while enjoy the fall weather / colors.

Looks like my pay to ride options are Hatfield McCoy / Burning rock / South Pedlar / Slades / Busco Beach. Looking to avoid the crazies and the mud ~ which may be impossible.
I have been to Hatfield McCoy and had a great time. I think your family would enjoy it. And I'm sure you daughter will love being able to ride on the streets there.

You could also take them to the trails right off 501/130 near Buena Vista. I think those are only about $5 to ride and it's about 20 miles of trails. Rattlesnake something or another is what it's called.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #26054
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
You could also take them to the trails right off 501/130 near Buena Vista. I think those are only about $5 to ride and it's about 20 miles of trails. Rattlesnake something or another is what it's called.
AKA South Pedlar. there are some atv crazies back there.. would make me nervous for wife/daughter. Maybe not so bad on a weekday.

Hey Klim, I might be able to get out for a short ride one morning.

BB, take care of yourself man. Hope you enjoy your new home.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #26055
klim86
veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
Klim ~ If something else comes up take it...
I maybe able to ride local, afterwards ~ Saturday morning there is a Kiwanis Club pancake breakfast at the Colonial Heights middle school 500 Conduit Rd Colonial Heights, VA 23834 Tickets at the door ~ $4 7am - 12pm.
From there I think my daughter has a club activity. I'll have to see what wifey is planning.

Ok sounds good. Ill keep you posted on the final plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Hey Klim, I might be able to get out for a short ride one morning.
Let me know what works best for you.
Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back. ― Heraclitus

'04 V-strom 1000, '06 XR650L(sold)
klim86 is offline   Reply With Quote