ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #26116
Downer
Downer

Oddometer: 210
That's me with the lowered F800GS

I got it done a couple of years ago.

PM me if you are interested in checking it out.

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoreMachine View Post
Great to put a face with a name. The seat is mint. Now I gotta decide which of the seats to put the gel into.

Could you post/send me the link for the rear pin fix that you got?

I'm considering buy this. Originally, I was thinking of getting the 25mm kit, but I am trying to convince my wife that she could ride the bike with the lowering kit and it would still be good for me. One of you Richmond inmates came to my house with a lowered 800 from Europe (sorry... I'm not great with names), any chance I could see how the bike would fit her?

Also, I would need some work done to the side stand (which needs to be cut & or reinforced regardless) and the center stand (I think there is a description of a fix using a mototech centerstand on the f800rider forum). Guy could you do this fix for me (if so please PM me with costs/time), or is there someone else that could?

Takes a village... Many thanks.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #26117
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
on Shannon's facebook wall:
Today was a GOOD day!! Dad was moved out of ICU He is still not awake, and not able to fully respond, or call us by name. BUT he was more verbal than he has been since the accident. We even got an "I love you"!! Your prayers are being heard!! We still have a long way and I know we will continue to have great days and not so great days but any day he is here with us is great
Gonna post this in HR if u don't mind.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #26118
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoreMachine View Post
I'm considering buy this.
Please let me know in the next few days as I have a $250 offer (incl shipping) out west. Richmond thread riders have dibs.

Regarding the rear shock bolt:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486251

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 08:34 PM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #26119
SnoreMachine
ɹǝdɯɐɔ ʞɔoɯɯɐɥ

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Please let me know in the next few days as I have a $250 offer (incl shipping) out west. Richmond thread riders have dibs.

Regarding the rear shock bolt:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486251
Thanks for the link.

Go ahead and let the shock go out west. I am really leaning toward the 25mm. And, my wife can ride the 1200rt if need be. Maybe I can convince her to get a 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone. ;-)
Old 11-02-2013, 05:53 AM   #26120
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,803
Shannon

Thanks to ddlewis for posting the fb on Shannon. I PMed B.E. Coyote and a VISA gift card sounds like the best idea, then they can use it anywhere. I plan to get a card so if anyone wants to PM or email me messages I'll put them together to go with the card. I called the hospital and you can also send to their address or send a Web Wish. Here is the link and the address.

http://www.riversideonline.com/rrmc/

Riverside Regional Medical Center
Shannon Nix, Room B20
500 J. Clyde Morris Blvd.
Newport News, VA 23601

My Email to use. biker128pedal@yahoo.com

Also posted in Hampton Roads and will be in Cat Herders.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #26121
klim86
veteran

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
Saturday morning there is a Kiwanis Club pancake breakfast at the Colonial Heights middle school 500 Conduit Rd Colonial Heights, VA 23834 Tickets at the door ~ $4 7am - 12pm.
From there I think my daughter has a club activity. I'll have to see what wifey is planning.
Good call on this pancake breakfast. I tried to make a dent in the pile of flapjacks but to no avail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk
Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus

'04 V-strom 1000, '06 XR650L(sold)
klim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #26122
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES View Post
Jeff, you might have something a bit more than a simple door, it was a custom in that period to both carry a deceased down and out of a building, and also to display the dearly departed one, on a door; this would explain the application of the Masonic symbols also, as in those times The Freemasons did have a lot of power. My dad was a Freemason, and their were a lot of ritualistic things they did prior to & after his funeral, and still to this day items appear on his gravesite.

this may explain a bit more.
http://friendsofoakgrovecemetery.org...t-deaths-door/

you may have in your possession, the last place he was laid to rest upon during his wake.
Vey unique indeed.

in Masonry, as in many forms of religion, a door symbolizes the "portal" to another "place/life", I believe it may have been intentionally utilized as his resting place during the ceremonies the Mason's would have held in his honor prior to his funeral.

Thanks for this information MOB. It all adds to the mystery and my sense of excitement. Since I posted this we have done more research and have connected with a couple of Master Masons. Here is what they have added, without the benefit of actually seeing the door yet.

The "H" and "A" on the door might just be a coincidence in it matching the name of the first settler on our farm, Henry Amick. The "H" and "A" might actually refer to Hiram Abif, and for centuries that has been inscribed on the doors of Masonic Lodges. It so, we may have the door to one of the first Masonic Lodges in that region of the country, which could have been in his home/cabin. The Amicks have been know to be Masons for generations.

We are going to bring it back and share it with both the WV Grand Lodge and VA Grand Lodges to see if they have records that go back to the 1790's. I'll post a picture of it later, if anyone is interested.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #26123
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Please do!

I'm a sucker for awesome regional history like this.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #26124
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Shannon Update

I visited Shannon. Lots of family there supporting him and his wife. They appreciate the prayers. He is sleeping on his own. He wakes some and talks a little. The family would like visitors to hold off until he is fully awake. He is sleeping and breathing well. The neck brace was taken off this morning. His left knee was cut open but nothing broken there. Three staples holding it shut. The right knee is bruised. He broke three ribs on one side and two on the other. He got a concussion from hitting the ground.

I saw some pictures. His helmet has scrapes on the left side. They cut his jacket and pants off. He was on the DR. The left handlebar and bark buster was bent. The hinge on the left top load pelican case was scraped just about off. Other than that maybe the left mirror is scraped.

They believe and it looks like the deer hit him on the right side knocking him down. He is improving. It will take some time. They hope they get him sitting up some tomorrow.

Mike

Posted in Hampton Roads

Wee Strommin along.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #26125
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimBenty View Post

BurtonRider , Looks like the end of the second video (PM SH500 Part2) is where I had my getoff. I’m still sitting on the ground.
Yep that was the spot. Unfortunately I was too far behind to get in on film. Maybe Macon was filming at the time?

Glad to hear he's doing better. Real scary to see how fast things can go south. Makes me really want to make sure I never leave home without my gear on. It saved my butt last Saturday. I'm especially glad I was able to have the heavier winter gloves on Eddy gave me instead of my MX gloves.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #26126
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
In the automotive business, when we talk about "Deer Season" it isn't in reference to hunting season. Happens every year about this time.
I don't need a deer license to hunt in my backyard here in Ohio now.
y'all be careful.

I just shot this photo from my bathroom window not 5 minutes ago....

It's been pouring rain all day, they have been laying there since 10 a.m.

Momma walked the dog within 60 feet of them TWICE so far for the dog to poop.... does'nt faze them at all....

holding out to see if these 2 fellows are gonna return this fall.... ain't seen them for a while, nor their Daddy...

MAN OF BLUES screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 01:31 PM
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #26127
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

I visited Shannon. Lots of family there supporting him and his wife. They appreciate the prayers. He is sleeping on his own. He wakes some and talks a little. The family would like visitors to hold off until he is fully awake. He is sleeping and breathing well. The neck brace was taken off this morning. His left knee was cut open but nothing broken there. Three staples holding it shut. The right knee is bruised. He broke three ribs on one side and two on the other. He got a concussion from hitting the ground.

I saw some pictures. His helmet has scrapes on the left side. They cut his jacket and pants off. He was on the DR. The left handlebar and bark buster was bent. The hinge on the left top load pelican case was scraped just about off. Other than that maybe the left mirror is scraped.

They believe and it looks like the deer hit him on the right s

Wee Strommin along.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #26128
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Yep that was the spot. Unfortunately I was too far behind to get in on film. Maybe Macon was filming at the time?

Nope. He was WAY too fast for me. On my videos he rarely exists.

Glad to hear he's doing better. Real scary to see how fast things can go south. Makes me really want to make sure I never leave home without my gear on. It saved my butt last Saturday. I'm especially glad I was able to have the heavier winter gloves on Eddy gave me instead of my MX gloves.
I think I have those gloves in my truck. I wonder how they fit me... JK.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #26129
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,009
Let off with a warning

I got pulled by a trooper today on 288 and was let off with a warning. First time in my life getting a warning for speeding. I merged with 288 South from 60 West and opened the bike up for just a few seconds. I realized I was going quite fast and let off and returned quickly to about 60-65. As my merge lane was about to reunite with the rest off 288, I saw flashing blue lights and a car close behind me. I had seen the vehicle far behind me as I was looking to merge before opening it up and again after slowing down. I remember thinking it looked like a trooper, but immediately dismissed the notion because i knew about how fast I had reached and didn't see a response. WRONG. She was trying to catch up the whole time. I just had not looked rearward enough to see her keeping up and then catching up. She asked to see the endorsements on my DL and immediately stated she could not get a good fix on my speed, knew I backed down quickly, but also knew I was probably doing at least 80 by her relative speed and position. She asked a few questions about why I was going so fast, where I was going, had I ever had a speeding ticket on a bike, etc. She explained that there was absolutely no reason to gain that much speed, how unsafe it was should something go wrong being on a bike. She said if she ever heard my name on the radio for a speeding stop she was going to come and make sure the officer knew of my warning. She was very stern and very cool. I think because I was wearing full gear and Hi-viz and because I was only speeding for 3-5 seconds she realized I was not a completely reckless idiot. When I pulled onto the shoulder while being stopped I thought for sure I was done. Ride in the back of her car kind of done.

This was the first time I was going quite fast and got caught. Why did her radar/laser not nail me? Why was I let go?

Maybe I need to change the Tiger's gearing back to stock. She is far too tempting and accelerates like an FJR.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:50 AM   #26130
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 916
Tuesday's over night

Jersey Mark had a brain fart and discovered he was working Tuesday so there will not be an overnight. (unless someone else wants to do an overnight) I'm still up for a good ride Tue or Wed if anyone can get away. Wed for sure. Since its a day trip it will probably be Alhambra to 60, then south of 60 on dirt and gravel returning north on the BRP.

Working weekends is killing me.

Macon .... its all in the wrist. No need to change that gearing on the Tiger. :-)
skychs is online now   Reply With Quote