ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #26191
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
I am going to buy a trailer. My new truck bed is much taller than my old GMC, these GS's are not getting any lighter, I am getting older and it will be years before Gabriel can help me load/unload.
I am thinking of something along the lines of 6'x8', or larger, with a ramp, raised sides to keep stuff from tumbling down the road, motorcycle tiedown spots, etc. I don't want a $300 POS that needs a bunch of work, paint, tires, etc. Looking to spend $800-1200 unless it is larger/nicer and a good deal. I would be willing to spend more on an enclosed trailer as well if it were a really good deal, but every nice enclosed trailer I've seen on CL is $3000+.
Any recommendations regarding where to shop? Where to avoid? Things to make sure it has/things to avoid.
If you have one that you wish to sell, please let me know.
Thanks
Eddy
Ashland trailer charged my 1k for that 6x10 that we used two years ago to go to Greer. Decent guys to work with and its a local built Holmes trailer. Has held up very well and I use it hard, heck last weekend I had 2 tons of lime in it. I would highly recommend the high sides with metal mesh, otherwise anything you throw in it will have to tried down twice as well.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #26192
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,982
Quote:
Any recommendations regarding where to shop? Where to avoid? Things to make sure it has/things to avoid.
get a wide enough deck so you can strap down and haul 2 bikes conveniently. typical inexpensive utility trail is 78" between the fenders, wide enough? get a decent load rating, makes the trailer more versatile and better resale. big wheels, 13" minimum for small trailer, 14 or 15" as the load rating goes up. add bearing buddies. full width expanded metal ramps make easy loading, but rob fuel economy at interstate speeds. CL always has used utility trailers.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #26193
SplitLanesLikeMOSES

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
I am going to buy a trailer. My new truck bed is much taller than my old GMC, these GS's are not getting any lighter, I am getting older and it will be years before Gabriel can help me load/unload.
I am thinking of something along the lines of 6'x8', or larger, with a ramp, raised sides to keep stuff from tumbling down the road, motorcycle tiedown spots, etc. I don't want a $300 POS that needs a bunch of work, paint, tires, etc. Looking to spend $800-1200 unless it is larger/nicer and a good deal. I would be willing to spend more on an enclosed trailer as well if it were a really good deal, but every nice enclosed trailer I've seen on CL is $3000+.
If you have one that you wish to sell, please let me know.
Thanks
Eddy

I'm selling a 6x10 Leonard enclosed trailer right now. Great shape, just serviced, good tires, and new lights/harness. PM for contact info and more details. It's in your price range...............motivated seller.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #26194
SnoreMachine
ɹǝdɯɐɔ ʞɔoɯɯɐɥ

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Yea I do!
Ouch. Exactly what I'd like to avoid. My ankle still hurts from a bicycle accident when I was a kid. Hope you heal fast and mend well.

--
Eddy,

Last spring, I sold my 6x12 inclosed because it was too small and sucked gas on the rare occasion that I used it. I bought a 7x10 open so I could haul a couple of heavy bikes. I didn't get the mesh, but will probably add it. I added brakes in case I take a couple bikes out west where the hills are steeper and longer.

Be careful about the more inexpensive trailers because if the axles get out of true then you'll can go through a set of tires even on a short trip to Florida and back.

I don't trailer much so I still find loading the bikes up to be a PIA, even with the mesh tailgate. I'd probably get one of those easy load trailers if I had to do it again.

pm me if you want to see or borrow the trailer.

tapatalk
Old 11-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #26195
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoreMachine View Post
I picked up some knee pads from honda house and tried the ballistic jersey. It would be nice but I am far from an athletic build and the sleeve length gets longer as the sizes go up.

Do any of you wear wrist protection? If so what do you use?

tapatalk
Never tried wrist protection on a MC. Wouldn't skate without it though.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #26196
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,960
Looking for Body Armor?

I posted this same question back on the 1st of June. Here is my repost. If you go back to that date, you can see all the other answers. This is what I wore the entire summer on the TAT ride. I just threw a MX jersey over top of it and it was fantastic in the summer heat. Don't know about layering it in the winter. It is kinda bulky in the shoulders, but made me look great in pictures! I actually looked like I had muskles......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
I have the SixSixOne pressure suit...

Nice. Great reviews too. Moisture wicking. Adjustable. Just put one on order. They are listed at $250 retail on the 661 site, but found it on sale here at Xsportsprotective.com for $184.95. But they are offering a $20 discount on any order over $100, and free shipping. Mine is coming delivered for $164.95

Thanks Mike! I love this forum.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #26197
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
I posted this same question back on the 1st of June. Here is my repost. If you go back to that date, you can see all the other answers. This is what I wore the entire summer on the TAT ride. I just threw a MX jersey over top of it and it was fantastic in the summer heat. Don't know about layering it in the winter. It is kinda bulky in the shoulders, but made me look great in pictures! I actually looked like I had muskles......

Nice. Great reviews too. Moisture wicking. Adjustable. Just put one on order. They are listed at $250 retail on the 661 site, but found it on sale here at Xsportsprotective.com for $184.95. But they are offering a $20 discount on any order over $100, and free shipping. Mine is coming delivered for $164.95

Thanks Mike! I love this forum.

jeff
I second these jerseys... I got this one for my ride after a couple days of brutal heat in the Klim jacket. I was so comfey in this :)

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #26198
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,008
Pressure Suit

Karl, which one is that?? I like that the belt is lower than the one Jeff has. I was worried about how his would feel. I can't tell by the picture who makes this one you posted.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #26199
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Karl, which one is that?? I like that the belt is lower than the one Jeff has. I was worried about how his would feel. I can't tell by the picture who makes this one you posted.
It is the Nitro Circus Ballistic Jersey. I just got whatever they had on the shelf as I was on the road.. so I didn't do any research on this. It my favorite riding jacket now though :)

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #26200
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
That whole area is kinda sketchy. The old HOJO went under and the inn that is up there is shady shady shady. I am surprised someone hasn't bought all that land and built something worth while. It is a premo spot with i64 / brp / skyline / close the major cities etc.
a very bad divorce had something to do with that property
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map

freaking RT screwed with this post 11-07-2013 at 09:24 AM
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #26201
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,960
ballistic protection suits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Mine lacks a kidney belt, which is fine for a younger guy, or in extreme heat. That's why the velcro wraps come up to the chest protector. Karl's looks like it has a kidney belt too.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #26202
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,146
Sold out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
but found it on sale here at Xsportsprotective.com for $184.95.
jeff
Damn, Jeff! How many did you order? I went to buy one and they are sold out!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #26203
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitLanesLikeMOSES View Post
I'm selling a 6x10 Leonard enclosed trailer right now.
Dibs...I'll take it!
Old 11-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #26204
SplitLanesLikeMOSES

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Dibs...I'll take it!

Sale pending..........
Old 11-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #26205
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Dibs...I'll take it!
Eddy,

Swing by my place with the new trailer, I have a nice 03 XR100 for you. Would be perfect for one of the little ones or the wife.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote