ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #26236
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Wow, that's crazy!!! Looks nothing like that now. Don't even see how roads made it back there.
Yeah there's basically nothing left. The building with snacks and pinball burned down long ago, but you can still see the foundation and that long white concrete wall on the right side of the picture is still there in places.

I used to go to Moores lake up til my mid teens - mid late 70's at least.. My guess is it closed around '80. My mom has pictures of us there in the mid 60's with me as a baby sitting on a towel. I loved that place! although I think it's real hay day was earlier.. 50's/60's..

I especially remember those giant slides.. There were no rules, if you could swim out and climb the ladder you could slide down. I was just a little kid the first time I got the nerve to climb up there. Felt like standing on top of a skyscraper. All the big kids watching, some already on the ladder, there's only one way down at that point. Would catch air off the humps in the wavy one. Fun stuff, no way could you get away with that now. Lawyers/insurance would eat you alive.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #26237
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Yeah there's basically nothing left. The building with snacks and pinball burned down long ago, but you can still see the foundation and that long white concrete wall on the right side of the picture is still there in places.

I used to go to Moores lake up til my mid teens - mid late 70's at least.. My guess is it closed around '80. My mom has pictures of us there in the mid 60's with me as a baby sitting on a towel. I loved that place! although I think it's real hay day was earlier.. 50's/60's..

I especially remember those giant slides.. There were no rules, if you could swim out and climb the ladder you could slide down. I was just a little kid the first time I got the nerve to climb up there. Felt like standing on top of a skyscraper. All the big kids watching, some already on the ladder, there's only one way down at that point. Would catch air off the humps in the wavy one. Fun stuff, no way could you get away with that now. Lawyers/insurance would eat you alive.
Actually, there's a place on the Osborne Turnpike called "Hadad's Lake" that is something right out of the 50's. Concrete block buildings and concrete Lake look like they haven't changed in 50 years. It's even got some sketchy rope swing that looks like something from a lawyers wet dream.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #26238
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,557
My parents met on a blind date at More's Lake 55 some odd years ago.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #26239
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post

I love hearing these stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Actually, there's a place on the Osborne Turnpike called "Hadad's Lake" that is something right out of the 50's. Concrete block buildings and concrete Lake look like they haven't changed in 50 years. It's even got some sketchy rope swing that looks like something from a lawyers wet dream.
Yea, it's been years since I've been there, but I'm surprised it's still around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
My parents met on a blind date at More's Lake 55 some odd years ago.
That's awesome!
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #26240
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 419
You know university of Richmond used to be a park at the end of the trolley line out in the country a long time ago?

81 XT/TT 500 83 BMW R80S (RT with S bits)
00 ZRX 1100 XR 100 XR 20
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #26241
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,812
Interesting lakes in the area

Petersburg once had a lake like that. It was called Wilcox Lake.

When the push came to open it to blacks in 1953 (it was a white only lake), the city shut it down rather than allow blacks and whites to swim together. It has been closed ever since. What a waste.

The funny thing is that Petersburg now has an African-American mayor, and all the city council but one is African-American, and yet they still haven't re-opened one of the biggest signs of racial discrimination around here. Guess it isn't about race anymore. It's all about the cost, and as everyone has mentioned, the insurance and legal fees. That's so sad.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #26242
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 1,973
I mentioned Moore's Lake to my wife and showed her the pictures. She recalls going there as a child.
Jeff, I recognized that turn in the background within 0.25 seconds of looking at that picture. I used to fish in that exact spot as a child. I also remember me and many of my friends and school mates swimming at the Petersburg Swim and Tennis Club next to Petersburg high School. Until I graduated from high school in '87, it was still a "whites only" club (I don't know how us Cubans snuck in! LOL!) They used a dirty system that stated that only stock shareholders could join the club. I believe that two existing members had to recommend a family for stock purchase. They got to decide who purchased stocks that way. Until I was a teenager, I didn't really see what was going on; although I vividly remember that one day, a competing team came to swim against us. They had a young black teenager on their team. I remember how people stood there frozen as he walked in and swam in the pool. It's horrible to think that this was only 25 years ago. I met my wife at that pool when I was 15 years old in the mid-80's. She is still putting up with me today!

Also, many thanks to Ryan "Split Lanes" for selling me a nice enclosed trailer. I have been scanning Google images looking for ideas on what to do with it and scanning ideas for adding exterior spot lights.
Ryan, if you don't kill your deer limit every season in the first couple of weeks, shame on you! I must have seen 20 deer in the first three miles after leaving your house! Ten of them were relaxing in a field 1/4 mile from your house. I almost made a hood ornament out of a beautiful doe that was taking her leisurely time to cross the road. They were everywhere!

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 11-10-2013 at 07:33 AM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #26243
SplitLanesLikeMOSES

Oddometer: 589
[QUOTE=Eddy Alvarez;22747969] Ryan, if you don't kill your deer limit every season in the first couple of weeks, shame on you! I must have seen 20 deer in the first three miles after leaving your house! Ten of them were relaxing in a field 1/4 mile from your house. /QUOTE]

I know right......
Old 11-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #26244
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
I had no idea about Moore's lake....

Anyone notice how HIGH the slides are????

The Cool kids would do a flip on the slid with the bump on the way down.

One day one of the kids missed the landing and hit his head on the side rail of the slide on the way down prompting and EMS call. A short time later the slide with the bump was removed. These slides were tall enough that semi frequently folks would get dizzy (or have drank too much) and fall or pass out ~ falling off of the stairs and sometime hitting a guide pole leg on the way down. Water at the base of the slides was about waist deep / 6' deep under the slide at the ladder. I think there were life guards up through the early 80's. High dive was the stuff... I forget how high but @ 7-10 yrs old I'd have thought I was at the Olympics... (High dive is to the left in the trees ~ far far back ground (White)). We stopped going to Mores Lake in 1983 when I began racing BMX full time (March thru Nov).

Many of the Brick cottages were sold just a few years back. I think they were auctioned. Most were picked up by crane and loaded onto a flat bed. The brick cottages were up the hill between the ridge and Jeff Davis.

Klim's Bridge repair "Pictured" / crossing the bridge dumps you out onto the main entrance road. Take a left and head back towards JD and it climbs the face of the ridge (Left to right). Take a right and it winds you around to where the 50's wagon is parked in the picture.

Chesterfield Bermuda Board member was pushing a business man at a recent council meeting to deveolp the property into a Cable park like this one in Florida.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXFu9DQ3XDM

The gentleman was trying to get permits to open one off of Hull street / west end.

Whitfield screwed with this post 11-10-2013 at 11:53 AM
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #26245
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

FYI ~ Chester has lots of Hunting pressure. My commute brings my by it 2x daily. Locked gates on Jeff Davis across form Haley Ford are open & Trucks in the woods (This property just transferred ownership at auction this summer). Guys in deer stands visible from I-95. Defiantly lots of folks in the woods with guns north of 288 / Coxendale Rd.

Whitfield screwed with this post 11-10-2013 at 11:56 AM
Old 11-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #26246
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
...Many of the Brick cottages were sold just a few years back. I think they were auctioned. Most were picked up by crane and loaded onto a flat bed. The brick cottages were up the hill between the ridge and Jeff Davis. ...
The last few cottages were given away. Yours for the taking, but you had to pay to get it moved to your location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
... Klim's Bridge repair "Pictured" / crossing the bridge dumps you out onto the main entrance road...
That picture above is taken from pretty close to where that repaired bridge is.. If you were standing on the main road with your back to the bridge, that's about the view you'd have.. 30+ years ago.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #26247
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Today coming out of the gate onto Jeff Davis at Haley Ford chester was a work truck and trailer with a good sized Kabota tractor (Forks on the front and a Grader box on the rear). I know the access road for that property has a small creek crossing along the power line right-of-way. The ATV's had a made a Mud Bog of it. Originally it was a good hard bottom rock base but a 5' deep ravine. Beavers dammed it up 12 yrs ago and it silted in. Beavers moved and it became a mud hole ~ so the ATVs turned it into a mud pit. My guess is they are fixing the access road through that creek which is 1/2 way back to the interstate.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #26248
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,766
Finished installing new springs and Racetech cartridge emulators on the DL650 today. Went for a short ride afterwards. Wish I had done this a long time ago. I didn't do any tweaking, just installed the emulators as they were just out the box.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #26249
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Finished installing new springs and Racetech cartridge emulators on the DL650 today. Went for a short ride afterwards. Wish I had done this a long time ago. I didn't do any tweaking, just installed the emulators as they were just out the box.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #26250
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn306 View Post
Roger, Sue and I will be there tomorrow by the time you all get back from your ride. Right now I don't have a bike that runs, so we are just coming over for the campfire and beer Saturday night.
Good to see you guys again, had a great time as usual. Kinda took the long way home. Weather was perfect.
roger123 is online now   Reply With Quote