ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #26596
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Whitfield's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Southern Chesterfield Co
Oddometer: 194
Not my picture, But I've got the same set.


I've got a few Italian Harleys I'd like to restore and need to make some extra room. Unfortunately mine were trashed by a disrespectful 14yr old 26 yrs ago. The prototype (left) was Dads Race bike in the late 70's.


Whitfield screwed with this post 12-04-2013 at 10:19 AM
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #26597
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders
 
Dirtmonkey8's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 1,054
Chrome Shop???

Hey guys. I have seen some restoration work and heard some chatter in here about a local or semi-local place that does chrome work. I have a customer who needs something done and he asked us if we knew of anyone. Anyone know of a good chrome shop? Thanks.
__________________
A little dirt don't hurt.
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #26598
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!
 
Eddy Alvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Chester,VA
Oddometer: 2,273
Chrome Masters or Browns. Like a high end paint job, when it comes to chrome, you get what you pay for. Both of these places are expensive but the best.
__________________
Me: BMW R1200GS KTM 525EXC. Gabriel: KTM 50. Elena: Honda CRF70. Lynn: Official Gatorade/snack girl!
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #26599
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders
 
Dirtmonkey8's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Chrome Masters or Browns. Like a high end paint job, when it comes to chrome, you get what you pay for. Both of these places are expensive but the best.
Thanks, but I am unable to look them up online and find their contact information. I am using "Richmond" in the search, which may be the problem.
__________________
A little dirt don't hurt.
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #26600
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..
 
Jeff Munn's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Petersburg, Virginia
Oddometer: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
Not my picture, But I've got the same set.


I've got a few Italian Harleys I'd like to restore and need to make some extra room. Unfortunately mine were trashed by a disrespectful 14yr old 26 yrs ago. The prototype (left) was Dads Race bike in the late 70's.

Do those have dual sprockets on the rear wheel? I'm looking for one of those for my little YG5T. With a massive 80cc, it needs all the help it can get in the hills.

jeff
__________________
Ride to challenge yourself and to expand your horizons. But be warned, once you've ridden beyond the U.S. border, you might begin to realize that the world doesn't revolve around us......

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #26601
UncleR
KLiX are for kids
 
UncleR's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Central Va.
Oddometer: 15
Chrome

You might want to also try Hanlon Plating Co.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Thanks, but I am unable to look them up online and find their contact information. I am using "Richmond" in the search, which may be the problem.
__________________
______________________
R1100S, F650GS, KLX250S
UncleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #26602
RimBenty
Bender of Rims
 
RimBenty's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Ashland, VA
Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Hey guys. I have seen some restoration work and heard some chatter in here about a local or semi-local place that does chrome work. I have a customer who needs something done and he asked us if we knew of anyone. Anyone know of a good chrome shop? Thanks.
FYI - Years ago when I lived near DC and got something chromed, all the shops I talked to shipped the parts out. No one did it in house.
I don't know if thats the case with any of the local shops around here.
RimBenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #26603
Defaultgateway
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Shortpump, Va.
Oddometer: 87
dual spocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Do those have dual sprockets on the rear wheel? I'm looking for one of those for my little YG5T. With a massive 80cc, it needs all the help it can get in the hills.

jeff
Jeff, for the Baja 100cc shown, the factory took a big sprocket blank, bored the ID to fit snug on the od of of the stock sprocket, then used four equal spaced holes on the id of the large sprocket, not full diameter but a partial semi-circle with the opening towards the tooth space on the small sprocket. Thru this opening, a 8.8 grade bolt was inserted, for each of the four equal spaced positions mention previously. They uses a flat washer on each side of the sprocket hole and a ny-lock nut to secure.

Worked fine, 1st was unstoppable and as recall, 45 mph top speed. My first real bike.

Defaultgateway screwed with this post 12-05-2013 at 06:33 PM
Defaultgateway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #26604
ddlewis
squirrel
 
ddlewis's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: South/central Va
Oddometer: 1,556
baja 100..

That's funky setup with that big sprocket behind the little one. I still don't understand.. was the smaller sprocket useable or not? I can't see how it would be. And if not why not just a big sprocket bolted straight to the hub?

I went googling looking for more and found this:
http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/voi...ime-15569.html

#6 on the all time worst dirt bike list according to those guys.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:55 AM   #26605
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer
 
VACommuter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Oddometer: 1,626
__________________
I don't win shit.
2000 BMW K1200LT w/Sidecar "Bavarian Princess"
2002 KLR 685 w/ Enduro Sidecar "Dirt Nasty"
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #26606
biker128pedal
Super Lurker
 
biker128pedal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Eastern, VA
Oddometer: 2,889
Bluhduh Shannon Update

I got a message and Shannon aka dljocky is coming home today.

He is still recovering but we should see him online.
__________________


Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #26607
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Whitfield's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Southern Chesterfield Co
Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post

I went googling looking for more and found this:
http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/voi...ime-15569.html

#6 on the all time worst dirt bike list according to those guys.
No doubt it was one of the worst. Poor porting / No bottom end grunt / kick starter in the wrong side/ shifter and brake on the wrong side. Also I only got a few days out of the original engine each time we rebuilt it. But with a few minor modifications it became ride-able. SX 125 engine swap, Swap the rear brake to the correct side.

Yes it was ride able on the small sprocket but for east coast tight woods it was a pig. Large sprocket only.

The SX 125 uses a much better dual sprocket design. The smaller one would index and sister into the larger one. Very Practical / Very useable.

Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #26608
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders
 
Dirtmonkey8's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrenheit View Post
2 needed with 5 hours left. I think I am going to be optimistic and call it as good as done at this point.

Will anyone be meeting before or after for food?

Edit: And we're good!
I am not going to be able to have folks come to our house before or after the movie. I wanted to host something for us to get together, but it is not possible this weekend. If we meet some place before or after, I may have some time to hang out for a bit.
__________________
A little dirt don't hurt.
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #26609
MotoMujer
Adventurette
 
MotoMujer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
I got a message and Shannon aka dljocky is coming home today.

He is still recovering but we should see him online.
Great work on the recovery Shannon -- enjoy the return home!!!
__________________
Priors: 73 CB500, 06 F650GS. Next: work in progress.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #26610
Defaultgateway
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Shortpump, Va.
Oddometer: 87
over-lay sprocket

The large sprocket fits so that the id of the large fits over the tips of the smaller, in-line, not one behind the other. The thickness of each were identical.
This was a off-road only bike and although you could remove the large sprocket and use the street sprocket with a much shorter chain, it would. be un-useable in the dirt.

Why they did it this way? Cost or schedule issues?.

These bikes were planned during the AMF Harley ownership years, this arrangement worked slightly better than the current congress.



---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
That's funky setup with that big sprocket behind the little one. I still don't understand.. was the smaller sprocket useable or not? I can't see how it would be. And if not why not just a big sprocket bolted straight to the hub?

I went googling looking for more and found this:
http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/voi...ime-15569.html

#6 on the all time worst dirt bike list according to those guys.
Defaultgateway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014