ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #26716
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
I have a request for all ya'll ... I need your weirdness. With the cold suck from the north upon us, I'm doing the only thing I can do to stay sane -- plan my warm weather riding.

I have an idea that I can mostly do myself, but could use some help. I'm thinking of making a little Youtube video of oddities. Check out this link to see what I mean. The gist is that I take day trips, overnighters, and perhaps a summertime week-long trip, and film the weirdest slash coolest stuff I can find. There are some "interesting" things in the referenced site, but I'm sure some of you have much better oddities.

Using Richmond Virginia as the center of the universe, and expanding out perhaps a thousand miles in any direction, what are some persons, places, or things that are worth a detour? Think as white trash as you'd like. The monster truck racing museum in NC? On the list! The world's largest ball of twine? Might be a little far, but who knows? Oldest edible slab of ham? Day trip!

So ... whatcha got?

PS: If you know of places that serve strange, yet somehow edible, food products -- I need those too! Hell, maybe I'll make a series out of this! LOL!
The giant Paul Bunyan/Babe the Blue Ox statue near lake Mille Lacs in MN is funny lookin' (in a general kinda way). Not far away is (was?) the worlds largest Dala Horse in my place of birth, Mora MN. Plus in NE Minneapolis is a bar called Stand-Up Franks. The bar didn't have stools but a "slot" you would stand in and a strap you closed behind you to lean against as you slowly lost the ability to stand up on you own.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #26717
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,556
good price..

Revzilla has Shoei RF1100's on sale for $279 (solids). Usually ~ $399.

ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #26718
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,706
Quote:
I have a request for all ya'll ... I need your weirdness. With the cold suck from the north upon us, I'm doing the only thing I can do to stay sane -- plan my warm weather riding.

I have an idea that I can mostly do myself, but could use some help. I'm thinking of making a little Youtube video of oddities. Check out this link to see what I mean. The gist is that I take day trips, overnighters, and perhaps a summertime week-long trip, and film the weirdest slash coolest stuff I can find. There are some "interesting" things in the referenced site, but I'm sure some of you have much better oddities.

Using Richmond Virginia as the center of the universe, and expanding out perhaps a thousand miles in any direction, what are some persons, places, or things that are worth a detour? Think as white trash as you'd like. The monster truck racing museum in NC? On the list! The world's largest ball of twine? Might be a little far, but who knows? Oldest edible slab of ham? Day trip!

So ... whatcha got?

PS: If you know of places that serve strange, yet somehow edible, food products -- I need those too! Hell, maybe I'll make a series out of this! LOL!

go see Lucy in NJ

http://buddy.smugmug.com/Travel/Lucy...e-City-NJ-July

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #26719
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
go see Lucy in NJ
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! :-)

"I’m lost. I’ve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #26720
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,273
Back Roads

Quote:
I need your weirdness. So ... whatcha got?
Not weird but neat. (see link)

The thought of hopping on my bike and taking a couple of weeks to wander slowly around Virginia seeing things I've always been "too busy" to see or going to some small town event like the ones in this book intrigues me almost as much as a fancy trip across the country.

Back Roads: People, Places and Pie From Around Virginia:
http://www.pedimentbooks.com/store/product/back-roads/?utm_campaign=rt-d&utm_source=paper&utm_medium=p

Good place to start for ideas: http://www.virginia.org/directory/culturalheritage/
Old 12-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #26721
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Stopped by Shannon's house this morning for a visit. He looks great and is his old happy self. It was fun hanging out with him and his daughter and hearing/telling Dirtmonkey stories.
Hey now. What happens on the bike, stays on the bike

Meanwhile, I am in Kansas City at the Flying Saucer Bar and just met this guy at the bar: http://youtu.be/b3YoFRzafh4.

He is a bus driver for rockers in the summer and theatre productions in the winter and sets himself on fire and crashes bikes on the side. Dennis Pinto. Check him out on YouTube.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #26722
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Hey now. What happens on the bike, stays on the bike

Meanwhile, I am in Kansas City at the Flying Saucer Bar and just met this guy at the bar: http://youtu.be/b3YoFRzafh4.

He is a bus driver for rockers in the summer and theatre productions in the winter and sets himself on fire and crashes bikes on the side. Dennis Pinto. Check him out on YouTube.
He's nuts. His entry ramp was not tall enough to clear the bus.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #26723
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

I don't think he wanted to be with the bike during the "landing". He said all of his stunts went as planned and said there is a video of a trash truck he jumped @120'. Not sure if he was on fire for that one. And I thought I had a wild side... I like KC. Friendly town with plenty of parking. Figures since we have no car.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #26724
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,454
Check out Noah's Ark in Colonial Heights. I tagged it in the Richmond Commuter Tag years ago. It is worth a short trip to see it in person.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #26725
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I don't think he wanted to be with the bike during the "landing". He said all of his stunts went as planned and said there is a video of a trash truck he jumped @120'. Not sure if he was on fire for that one. And I thought I had a wild side... I like KC. Friendly town with plenty of parking. Figures since we have no car.
I saw and should have put a smile but he is still nuts.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #26726
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos View Post
Check out Noah's Ark in Colonial Heights. I tagged it in the Richmond Commuter Tag years ago. It is worth a short trip to see it in person.
I used to drive by that thing every day when I lived in Colonial Heights. You can see if from the main road. I feel bad for all of his neighbors. They won't ever be selling their houses.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #26727
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,012
Off beat America?

Don't forget the Tombstone House in Petersburg. Used that as a Tag shot too. Somethings just not right about making a house from grave headstones.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #26728
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Don't forget the Tombstone House in Petersburg. Used that as a Tag shot too. Somethings just not right about making a house from grave headstones.

jeff

Old 12-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #26729
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

That tombstone house is the weirdest thing brought up so far IMO. After this busy season ends I want to head south out of Richmond and see all this weird local stuff.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #26730
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post

jeff
There's also a house off Osbourne Rd. in Chester that has a pretty big graveyard in the front yard. It's in an actual neighborhood too which is weird. I can't imagine anyone would want to live there.

Edit: Found it. Can't get it to work to save my life. It's working on mine, but not once I paste it here. Perdue Family Cemetary, Chester, VA. Street View it.

View Larger Map
2002 CR80R (SOLD)

burtonrider3889 screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 09:08 AM
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote