ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #27136
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
Yes! There are two ferries that you can make a loop from: Merry Point and Sunny Bank

Pics and GPX track and RR: Ferries! Northern Neck VA

We are probably going to be riding it again this coming Monday, 20 Jan if you are interested.
Wow. Two ferries. Even better! The Merry Point Ferry website (I posted the link above) says the Ferry is closed both Sunday and Monday until Memorial Day weekend when they change to the summer schedule being closed only on Sundays. Better for me to bum you out now than to be at the dock bummed. Also closed at lunch time for half an hour so the sole operator can have a break.

I wonder how many other ferries are around here that I don't know about and how many of those could be crossed upon in a single day? "Challenge Accepted!" Might need some help though...
Old 01-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #27137
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Wow. Two ferries. Even better! The Merry Point Ferry website (I posted the link above) says the Ferry is closed both Sunday and Monday until Memorial Day weekend when they change to the summer schedule being closed only on Sundays. Better for me to bum you out now than to be at the dock bummed. Also closed at lunch time for half an hour so the sole operator can have a break.

I wonder how many other ferries are around here that I don't know about and how many of those could be crossed upon in a single day? "Challenge Accepted!" Might need some help though...
I guess there is a reason we don't use ferries for normal water Xcings! Good thing Sunny Bank will be open on Monday..for a modified track.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #27138
firedad415
dirt Noob

Oddometer: 113
I have the plates, bowls and utensils!
I will also bring some non alcoholic drinks (sodas). Wouldn't want to get a dui 3 days before retirement and lose it all!

1 John 1:3
firedad415 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #27139
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
I invited him for the get together, but they have family coming into town that weekend and he had to decline. Maybe in the spring we can ride down and visit with him.

jeff
If you do another or an RTE on a rainy day I could persuade him to cage up.

Mike

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:09 PM   #27140
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 541
Hatton ferry out west of scottsville still runs. Only polled ferry left I believe.

81 XT/TT 500 83 BMW R80S (RT with S bits)
00 ZRX 1100 XR 100 XR 20
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:55 AM   #27141
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
Hatton ferry out west of scottsville still runs. Only polled ferry left I believe.
I really want to cross that one some time. About three years ago, my wife and I went there on the FJR and got the bike and the wife all filthy on dirt roads trying to find the ferry from the south side. Finally found it and it was in transit to the North shore. We hopped off and waited and watched. It finally reached the other side with a lot of effort with long poles being used to push it along with only foot passengers on board. The crew of two pulled out chairs and sat on the beach. I figured it must run on schedule so we waited. For 45 minutes we waited. I finally yelled across to them to ask when they were coming to get us. They said it was too low to reach the side I was on. "Thanks!" To be honest I was a bit relieved. I did not like the looks of taking the FJR down onto the ferry. I have tubed the section of river above the ferry and have taken the ferry mostly across on foot after tubing. I think it would be cool to take a bike on that sketchy crossing.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:30 AM   #27142
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
I really want to cross that one some time. About three years ago, my wife and I went there on the FJR and got the bike and the wife all filthy on dirt roads trying to find the ferry from the south side. Finally found it and it was in transit to the North shore. We hopped off and waited and watched. It finally reached the other side with a lot of effort with long poles being used to push it along with only foot passengers on board. The crew of two pulled out chairs and sat on the beach. I figured it must run on schedule so we waited. For 45 minutes we waited. I finally yelled across to them to ask when they were coming to get us. They said it was too low to reach the side I was on. "Thanks!" To be honest I was a bit relieved. I did not like the looks of taking the FJR down onto the ferry. I have tubed the section of river above the ferry and have taken the ferry mostly across on foot after tubing. I think it would be cool to take a bike on that sketchy crossing.
I'm 3/3 on Hatton Ferry crossings. I've heard people trying a half dozen times to get a ride across. Bottom line don't try it without me..

The ferry guy has poles, but I think they're mostly used for getting past rocks when the waters low. The ferry runs back and forth on a suspended cable. if the waters right, the cable system allows the boat to face the current at an angle. The ferry man can point either end of the boat towards the current at about a 20 angle. The force of the current against the side of the ferry moves the boat. Angle one way takes you to the south side and the other takes you back. pretty cool.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:34 AM   #27143
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
A group of us have been across it with bikes. I think it took me 4 attempts over 2 years before I had a try where there was enough water and the ferry was running. The state stopped funding that ferry and now it is run by a non profit organization. http://www.thehattonferry.org/
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:36 AM   #27144
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
I'm 3/3 on Hatton Ferry crossings. I've heard people trying a half dozen times to get a ride across. Bottom line don't try it without me..
You were there the one time I made it across so it must be true.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #27145
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,405
Hatton Ferry

I finally made it across on my 7th attempt. I think I've made it 3 times since.
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:16 AM   #27146
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,405
Dirt Riding Fix!!!!!

Just found this Goose Bay "Happy Valley" Trip video on Strom Troopers for you
"Dirt Types". There are bunch more videos attached to it.

Enjoy!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNLPvMMBU3M&feature=youtu.be

MADSTROM screwed with this post 01-15-2014 at 07:22 AM
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:18 AM   #27147
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

I'd like to contact the Hatton Ferry folks and make sure it will run on a certain day and that the water level will be high enough to make it across. I'd like to camp out nearby and cross it in the morning and then go across the Jamestown, Merry Point, and Sunny Bank Ferries all in the same day. A four ferry tour. And Dan HAS to come!
Old 01-15-2014, 07:23 AM   #27148
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
I had to check out that ferry's website to see what y'all were talking about.

Looks like that one scene from Josey Wales.

Too cool!
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:37 AM   #27149
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
I finally made it across on my 7th attempt. I think I've made it 3 times since.
You made it with us in May 2012:

http://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...-Ride-05-05-12

Old 01-15-2014, 09:06 AM   #27150
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
June 2009 too Mad.