ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #27211
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACommuter View Post
...See you you at Camp Cow Crap!
you betcha, that's the plan.

get Guy to Cow Crap, feed him a 12 pack of Coors, assemble the team, tie down strap him to the library table in the garage, give him the "cure", and when he wakes up he'll be feelin' great...and wonder why his head is wrapped in chicken wire.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:12 PM   #27212
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 12,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
Hang in there Guy. I hope you get better soon!
I hope the 2nd go around works for ya Guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #27213
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 567
Anyone here get run down at three Chopt and Patterson by a Mercedes? Looked like a red monster maybe. It was under the merc front end. Rider getting boxed up and transported as I rolled by.

Hope everyone is ok!

81 XT/TT 500 83 BMW R80S (RT with S bits)
00 ZRX 1100 XR 100 XR 20
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #27214
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
Anyone here get run down at three Chopt and Patterson by a Mercedes? Looked like a red monster maybe. It was under the merc front end. Rider getting boxed up and transported as I rolled by.

Hope everyone is ok!
Only Duc I know over this way is Britishbulldog. He has the new Hypermotard if I remember right.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:53 PM   #27215
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
you betcha, that's the plan.

get Guy to Cow Crap, feed him a 12 pack of Coors, assemble the team, tie down strap him to the library table in the garage, give him the "cure", and when he wakes up he'll be feelin' great...and wonder why his head is wrapped in chicken wire.
We did a good job on that pig, I think we're ready for Guy and we work cheap.

Seriously Guy, don't forget about your family here. You need anything you know you'll have a crowd at your door.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #27216
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,557
Fyi

Motorcycle Lobby Day
January 17, 2014
I want to remind everyone that this Monday is Motorcycle Lobby Day at the Virginia General Assembly. This is a holiday so many people are off. That morning, Virginia Coalition of Motorcyclists lobbyists, as well as members of other state motorcycle rights organizations, independent motorcyclists and any other interested people will go to the Virginia General Assembly to speak to the Delegates and Senators about upcoming legislation that affects motorcyclists in Virginia.

On Sunday January 19, from 12:00 p.m. until we get through, Virginia Coalition of Motorcyclists lobbyists will lead an informational meeting at the Four Points by Sheraton at 4700 South Laburnum Avenue, Richmond, VA 23231 to discuss this year's legislation affecting motorcyclists. We will also discuss how to talk to your legislators about these issues in case you have never done that. Later that evening, attendees will enjoy a free homemade BBQ dinner.

On Monday the 20th, we leave the hotel at 8:00 a.m. sharp for our annual trip to the Capitol. After lobbying our legislators, we will head to Penny Lane Pub where Tom McGrath's Motorcycle Law Group takes everyone to lunch as a thank you for coming to support Virginia Motorcyclists.

This year we have numerous bills of interest to Virginia motorcyclists. We have two bills to modify the definition of a motorcycle, and to create a new classification of motor vehicles called autocycles. In recent years we have seen numerous three wheeled vehicles on the market which are, for all purposes, three wheeled cars. They are controlled by a steering wheel as well as a foot controlled brake and throttle. Yet under current Virginia law these vehicles are motorcycles. There is legislation to make these vehicles autocycles and to further clarify the definition of a motorcycle.

We also have a bill which was filed today. HB 1215 increases the penalty for persons who kill or seriously injure another person by violating their right of way. You can follow that bill at:

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp...1215&submit=GO

You can read the full text at:

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp...141+ful+HB1215

As always, there will be numerous bills submitted at the last minute which will negatively affect motorcycling. As these bills are filed, we will be able to identify them and discuss them at lobby day so that we can convince the legislators why they are bad bills. Those who have participated in Lobby Day in the past remember bills that we have killed such as the one that would have required proof of insurance before one person could sell another person a motorcycle, even if the person buying the motorcycle had no intention of putting the bike on the road. We killed that one with the help of all of those who participated at Lobby Day. A few years ago we also defeated a bill that would have prohibited children under eight from riding on a motorcycle as a passenger by pointing out that the law improperly infringed on the rights and responsibilities of parents. Those at Lobby Day also pointed out the fact that in the prior ten years not a single child under eight was killed on a motorcycle.

I encourage everyone who can to join us. It is a lot of fun, it is educational, and most importantly it shows the legislators that motorcyclists are a significant and active portion of the electorate.

For more information you can call VCOM at (800) 437-9434. For Room Reservations call (804) 226-4300. As the hotel accommodations were just secured, room blocks may not be available until after December 15. We hope to see you at lobby day.

Matt Danielson
McGrath & Danielson
Tom McGrath's Motorcycle Law Group
1-800-321-8968
Motorcyclelawgroup.com

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:49 AM   #27217
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,984
Central Virginia ADV Party and Movie Night 25 Jan

Okay, it is 20F outside, I've got fresh bread in the oven, and I'm thinking about next Saturday. Thought I'd just post this update to keep it in everyone's mind.

Things I know we could still use:

A couple of coolers with ice to pack the BYOBs in
lasagna or some type of pasta (ziti) or cold pasta salad
more cookies or desserts
more cowbell

I'll post more later, but it is critical that everyone bring their own chair, especially to watch the movie. We have a 1100 sq ft room for the movie and an elevated 60" screen, but no seating.

For those who haven't see the first post.

What: Central Virginia ADV pot luck dinner:
Time: 4 pm until ??? Saturday 25 Jan 2013
Cost: BYOB and something to share to eat
Bonus: my HD movie of riding the TAT coast to coast this last summer
Lodging: floor space available if you bring mattress and bag

RSVP list so far:

Jeff and Teresa Munn (10 lb pulled pork BBQ and home-made bread)
kwn306 and Sue (cheese crackers, dips and chips)
ddlewis
jgiacobbe maybe
dirtmonkey8 and wife (2 pecan pies)
freaking rt and wife (Cowboy caviar and potato salad)
dirtdoctor
greenflyfarmer (Venison? Brunswick stew in a crock pot and corn bread)
Dr Whipit (Cooler of ice and pasta salad)
1drlust
Guy Young (tortellini and meat sauce, cooler with ice)
klim86 and wife and son
B.E. Coyote
moymurfs
rimbenty (Crock of chili)
firedad415 (plates, bowls, utensils, cups for 40?)
VACommuter (sodas for non-drinkers)
burtonrider3889
Halfplate and wife
higworld
fahrenheit (vegetarian dish and a fudge dessert)
UncleR (maybe)
Boon Booni and friend Tony
beerguy and 2 grandsons (white chicken chili)
sidi900 and friend (big bowl of spinach artichoke dip and/or a bowl of "salade de boeuf")

(nametags and sharpie?)

Here is the teaser (trailer) again, for my TAT movie. TAT Rider: the SKS Tour Starring my 18 yo nephew Joe.

Sorry, but you'll have to click on the link because I'm stumped on how to embed it from Facebook.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom

Jeff Munn screwed with this post 01-21-2014 at 12:29 PM
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #27218
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Jeff, put me down for a cooler full of ice and some pasta salad.

Sent from my mobile Interociter.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #27219
sidi9000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Richmond Va chatter

Jeff, I'm in with a big bowl of spinach artichoke dip and/or a bowl of "salade de boeuf" ( potato salad-ish with a twist)
sidi9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #27220
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidi9000 View Post
Jeff, I'm in with a big bowl of spinach artichoke dip and/or a bowl of "salade de boeuf" ( potato salad-ish with a twist)
Lory, I've got sharpies and will get the nametags. No worries there unless you've already got them. If you have them, let me know.
jeff

The party is still open to whomever wants to come. Post up if you can join us!

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #27221
sidi9000
Adventurer

Cool ! I'll scratch the tags and bring more food !!!😁
Old 01-19-2014, 02:27 AM   #27222
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
Anyone here happen to know if one can clean the soot/odor following an oil furnace malfunction themselves (and with what products), or if pros have to be called? Got home yesterday to black coming out the stack and toxic coming out the door. The FD shut the furnace and oil supply off (I turned the system off at the thermostat, leaving anything furnace to them) and vented the place, but I'm starting to notice soot deposits here and there so need to figure out cleanup, and neutralizing the odor would be a bonus. Also, anyone have a CO gauge I can borrow a week or two? (Reason for malfunction TBD; I had the "preventative maintenance" done in the fall and was told that everything looked clean/fine).

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:51 AM   #27223
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
Anyone here happen to know if one can clean the soot/odor following an oil furnace malfunction themselves (and with what products), or if pros have to be called? Got home yesterday to black coming out the stack and toxic coming out the door. The FD shut the furnace and oil supply off (I turned the system off at the thermostat, leaving anything furnace to them) and vented the place, but I'm starting to notice soot deposits here and there so need to figure out cleanup, and neutralizing the odor would be a bonus. Also, anyone have a CO gauge I can borrow a week or two? (Reason for malfunction TBD; I had the "preventative maintenance" done in the fall and was told that everything looked clean/fine).
It is covered by insurance. It is a bear to clean. The oil in the soot bonds with the plastics in everything you own. You will find a gray haze everywhere. Try Servicemaster, Servepro etc.

I did home claims for 7 years before becoming an agent. Lots of experience here.

81 XT/TT 500 83 BMW R80S (RT with S bits)
00 ZRX 1100 XR 100 XR 20
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:14 AM   #27224
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
It is covered by insurance. It is a bear to clean. The oil in the soot bonds with the plastics in everything you own. You will find a gray haze everywhere. Try Servicemaster, Servepro etc.

I did home claims for 7 years before becoming an agent. Lots of experience here.
Gray haze everywhere is exactly what I'm finding in daylight. Thanks for the insight. Going to PM you further questions. Thanks again!

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #27225
sidi9000
Adventurer

Richmond Va chatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post

Sorry to hear about all that ! Sic Semper is right, it's a bear and its a claim. But if for some reason you decide against it, chem-sponges take off most, industrial strength degreaser cut with warm water is the next step and that will clean most surfaces. Plastics are trash, can't get the odor out. (blinds, containers etc.) if it got to insulation, replace it. Affected rooms should be painted and thermo fogged with a neutralizer/ deodorant.
Besides the 2 companies Semper recommended, Trystate Cleaning and Mitigation (804-397-9469) is another option I'd highly recommend. ( ...and The Man rides a GS 😁)
Feel free to PM me
Cheers !
Lory

sidi9000 screwed with this post 01-19-2014 at 08:56 AM