ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #27241
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,504
That's a great find, Jeff. Couldn't make it Saturday. I an Someplace warm.

Picking up a DR650 to explore with tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:35 PM   #27242
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Got a message from Dirtmonkey last night, figured I'd share with everyone

So it turns out if you want to escape the dreariness of overcast and misty Seattle skies, you just have to go up!

Finally got some real dirt riding in for the first time since I've moved out here. Been finding lots of good twisties in the hills though, which there are a lot of. Truth be told a lot of them are comparable to sections of the Blue Ridge mountains.

My job is going really well. It's really interesting and pretty challenging sometimes.

This area is just East of Wilkeson WA, which is near Enumclaw. Takes 40 minutes to get there from my house. The area in the videos is not national park area, it's just open commercial logging forests with access roads you can take. The roads do eventually go into the Ranier state park though. Really looking forward to going there in Spring. A coworker who used to ride clued me into what was up there. More videos will be coming soon, just keep an eye on the channel if you want to see what's out here. BTW I don't know what the weather is like out there, but on the mountain it was a solid 45*F and the sunshine really helped :)

There were many other side roads I didn't take but I didn't want to get lost out there, and I had a passenger so I was trying to avoid the really gnarly stuff anyway.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:20 AM   #27243
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,915
Someplace warm?

You've got to stop teasing us Pete. You know the ADV motto, if there aren't any pictures, it never happened. We need pics of your riding "someplace warm" so we can be jealous.

We'll miss you Saturday but I'll guess we'd all rather be where you are.
jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:17 AM   #27244
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,915
CO2 numeric alarm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
I have several CO alarms, two of which were beeping when I walked in the door (the one near the furnace, oddly, not), but I would like something that gives numeric readings until I can get one myself.
Brenda, I have one in my shop. I can let you borrow it for a couple of weeks if you want it. It does show the levels numerically. Teresa and I will be home tonight. You can come get it tomorrow if you wish.

Sorry about what happened. That is a major bummer. Hopefully your insurance will cover it.

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #27245
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
You've got to stop teasing us Pete. You know the ADV motto, if there aren't any pictures, it never happened. We need pics of your riding "someplace warm" so we can be jealous.

We'll miss you Saturday but I'll guess we'd all rather be where you are.
jeff
Pics today. It's a beautiful morning here in Kona.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #27246
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 918
Quote:

Nice! The DR650 is my favorite bike so far. They are not much in stock trim but with a carb, a can and some springs they do almost anything fairly well. You can't beat the simplicity. Unlike the XR650L, they have decent highway manners. You probably know all of this, but I am happy to see another DR650 owner. P.S.- I have a TM40 setup for the DR I need to sell. I ended up switching to the FCR to see what all the hype was about.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #27247
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Bastard! Good to hear from you, man. I can't watch the videos now, but I will check them out later. Hey, 40 minutes out of town is nice. Those hills are practically in your backyard.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #27248
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
There's not much to miss about VA

Old 01-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #27249
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Except me.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #27250
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
ADV party at Jeff's

Hey Jeff, I'll bring a home made Caesar Salad (one of the best things I learned while working as a waiter at the Richmond Marriott while in Dental School).

Brenda, sorry to hear about your situation.

Guy, Sorry the procedure couldn't work. I came by Thursday evening and had nice visit in the waiting room with Betty and Gretchen. You were still waking up. Hang in there. I'll call you about going to Jeff's.

Buddy, Sorry I didn't see your post about the General Assembly until this evening...been out of touch with ADV due to officiating a swim meet all weekend and just getting caught up. I was down there to lobby this past Friday for the VDA (Dental issues) and today for the VCDL (Virginia Citizens Defense League-Gun owners rights). Would have liked to join the Motorcyclists as well. Did bring my 17 year old son today and he really enjoyed seeing the lobbying effort and VCDL Rally. We went to lunch at the Village Cafe up in VCU-town. Excellent chocolate malt shake, sailor sandwich and onion rings. Wish I'd taken a picture.

PS. Jeff, Nice score on the H-D enduro...looking forward to seeing it in action at the Moto Giro!
Old 01-20-2014, 07:27 PM   #27251
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,999
The big bike felt neglected so:

I did finish putting her back together. The little one is still waiting on various bearings. The DL650 got a new chain and sprockets. I also really need to clean up the garage.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:46 PM   #27252
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
Gosh this thread is moving so fast lately. I've been slammed with advertising and real estate the last couple weeks. Also just sold my car so I've been carless and bikeless.

Guy, sorry to hear things haven't worked out for the best so far. If there's anything we can do to help let us know.

Jeff, it appears I have to back out for Saturday. I was going to ask what I could bring, but apparently my wife made plans for us to go to Roanoke this weekend. I'm real bummed since I missed the video in WV after I had to go break myself and leave early.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #27253
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Sold the car??? Noooooooo Not the Impreza

As an X auto tech and having recently done head gaskets on my outback wagon, I was gonna send you a PM and see what your plans were. Can't imagine letting that one go.

Jeff,

Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:30 PM   #27254
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Proof I'm in Hawaii:

My ride for the week:

Snorkeling in this bay today. Amazing.

And, sunset from the porch.

Tomorrow, volcano!
Old 01-21-2014, 05:47 AM   #27255
sidi9000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Richmond Va chatter

Quote:
Proof I'm in Hawaii:

My ride for the week:

Snorkeling in this bay today. Amazing.

And, sunset from the porch.

Tomorrow, volcano!

You're gonna ride close by the most southern point of the United States. Might as well bust that right on South Point rd. You'll love it ! (...and send us a picture ! )
Don't miss out on the green sand beach, it's very pretty, and not saying ignore the parking signs, but the KLR would enjoy the ride ( almost) to the beach...maybe you too! 😈
Also if you happen to leave top of Mauna Loa around 3:45 / 4 am and head a few miles S-SW towards the beach you'll get to see the glowing red lava flow by the ocean. With a set o'proper tele-lens one could catch some great shots. Also the sunrise is mind blowing !
P.S. Don't take any sand or lava rock away from the island, it's bad joojoo :)
Enjoy !
sidi9000 is offline   Reply With Quote