ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2014, 03:35 AM   #28021
SplitLanesLikeMOSES

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
So I just called Seth at the parts department at Morton's. Need that coiled throttle body return spring that snapped down near Abingdon, Va. We did modify it and get home, and the bike is running just fine thank you, but now I'm thinking I just need to replace both TB springs. You know where this is going.....

"I'm sorry, but BMW does not sell component parts for the TB assemblies."
Me: So what does a TB cost?
"Around $400 each."

I love Seth though, he is researching to try to find the specs for the spring so I can possible source it somewhere else. We are talking under a $10 spring here. He is even going to call BMW and see if they have the separate specs on it. Those Mortons guys are top notch.

Think I'll be calling Beemer Boneyard too. Geez, you roll over 145,000 miles on the bike and it starts to fall apart. Cheap German crap.

jeff
I have a set of perfect condition TB's for your bike. Had 45,000 on them when taken off. I'll give you a great deal.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:36 AM   #28022
SplitLanesLikeMOSES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
I know I'm frugal, but geez. BMW wants $397.31 for the right side throttle body. Nothing included (no cables, no fuel injector base, no clamps, nadda). They also want $581.06 for the left throttle body, without Throttle positon sensor ($225). But they do come with the springs!

Enter one of my favorite websites. www.searchtempest.com It allows you to search every or any Craigslist website in North America, all at once. Used it to find a guy parting out an R1150GS in British Columbia.

I now have both throttle bodies coming from a 50K mile bike, including the TPS, for $225 delivered. Heck, if I replace one I might as well do the pair. With a little luck the butterflies will be a lot more quiet than the old one I'm currently running.

Then I can start sourcing the springs, repair my own TB's, and maybe sell them to get some $$ back. Works for me!

For those who don't know about searching Craigslist by distance, region or zipcodes, try www.searchtempest.com

jeff
Just saw this. Nevermind
Old 04-04-2014, 06:56 AM   #28023
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,981
So, anyone riding tomorrow? Thinking the weather will be nice. I'd like to go west and {'m almost hopeful some of the sand and cinders may of washed off the roads from the rain last weekend.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #28024
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
So, anyone riding tomorrow?
Yes, but we're heading east to the track. I am surprised that none of you all have joined us out there. A group of us chasing each other would be a hoot! Heck, we could even have the first annual "Richmond Big ADV Bike Motocross Race", lol.

It's a fun and totally different riding experience.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #28025
SplitLanesLikeMOSES

PM sent
Old 04-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #28026
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 904
About the weather

You guys can thank me while you are out riding in this perfect weather this weekend. I was too wimpy this winter to go into the cold garage at ten in the evening to get work on the bikes done. With a long weekend at LF coming up soon I had to get started this week. Man is it nice outside!
I plan to wash my truck Sunday. Expect plenty of rain Monday.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #28027
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

This is why I'm happy I have a backup bike. I don't find my maintenance costs have really increased. Insurance barely increased and well registration and plates isn't that expensive. If you have space and can get the capital put together to buy one, I highly recommend it.

Now, the next question is how do I justify a third bike?
Old 04-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #28028
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
This is why I'm happy I have a backup bike. I don't find my maintenance costs have really increased. Insurance barely increased and well registration and plates isn't that expensive. If you have space and can get the capital put together to buy one, I highly recommend it.

Now, the next question is how do I justify a third bike?
I actually have four bikes. Three running. ( Tiger 800XC, DR650, 2- DR350'S) I agree that one is never enough. I will probably poke around one night this weekend on the DR650 which is in its strictly dirt trim at the moment. Any free time that I have to myself will be spent putting upgrades on the Tiger so no day rides for me until the 24th. I like working on the bikes. I just have a hard time finding time and motivation is hard to muster up after a long day at 9:30-10 PM. Any time I have usually turns into riding time. I tinkered with the Tiger until 1:30 this morning. This morning was rough. Coffee is an amazing drug.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #28029
e moneybags
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
http://www.vaflyfishingfestival.com/information/

Any fly fishermen in the house?

My wife and I are heading down on Wednesday and she goes back up north on Sat so I may take a car ride out to scope this out Sunday. I don't have my fishing license yet but it seemed like something fun to do. (Won't have a bike until the movers bring em end of April. Yuck. )

I'm in for a pretty hectic few weeks! Looking forward to getting down into your neck of the woods.

Also I'm probably in the market for a new vehicle pretty quick any recommendations for picking up a Toyota Tacoma either new or lightly used?

A lot to do..
e moneybags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #28030
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by e moneybags View Post

My wife and I are heading down on Wednesday and she goes back up north on Sat so I may take a car ride out to scope this out Sunday. I don't have my fishing license yet but it seemed like something fun to do. (Won't have a bike until the movers bring em end of April. Yuck. )

I'm in for a pretty hectic few weeks! Looking forward to getting down into your neck of the woods.

Also I'm probably in the market for a new vehicle pretty quick any recommendations for picking up a Toyota Tacoma either new or lightly used?

A lot to do..
That is a really fun show right in downtown Waynesboro. I am not a fly fisherman but my son is and we went a couple years ago. Very cool.

81 XT/TT 500 83 BMW R80S (RT with S bits)
00 ZRX 1100 XR 100 XR 20
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #28031
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,397
Quote:
So, anyone riding tomorrow? Thinking the weather will be nice. I'd like to go west and {'m almost hopeful some of the sand and cinders may of washed off the roads from the rain last weekend.
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #28032
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
Looks like Mickey is interested, anyone else?
Old 04-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #28033
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,357
I might be in town and go. I have a new fly rig I want to try out.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by e moneybags View Post

A lot to do..
Old 04-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #28034
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

8:30 @ 522 and 60. Chubby's gas station.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:47 PM   #28035
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,397
Quote:
8:30 @ 522 and 60. Chubby's gas station.

I'll be there.
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote