ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #28096
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
the work will wait, get that Tiger fired up.
Most work will wait, but the hornets will not. We had a European Hornet infestation in our attic last summer. It looks like they entered through a weep hole at the bottom corner of the gable vent. I need to get to it before they do. ( I still have a 16" x 60" opening of missing drywall on the inside that is waiting on me) If they come in again they will be inside the house. I also have some rotten siding, most of which requires pulling up deck boards. As much as I want and need to ride, I don't want to be negligent nor do I want to do it when it is 90+ degrees and humid outside. I am going to pass on riding this weekend and keep the wife happy until I vacate to Laurel Fork for four days. I want to catch up with you soon though. I am still kicking myself for not doing the Blue Ridge Trail with you guys... I hope you find some good company for Saturday. It will be a very nice day.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #28097
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downer View Post
I remember reading a couple of you were hammock campers. At the time I was intrigued but had little interest. Now my Son has started Boy Scouts and has shown interest in going the Hammock route. I am looking for advice and any suggestions where I could find some used ones for sale. I don't want to invest a couple of hundred bucks until I see how committed he is.

Thanks in advance for any advice or assistance.

C.
If you've got a sewing machine (thread injector), you can make your own hammock for about $20. That's how I started, and I still use my home made hammock, though I made another one that's 12' long. I also made my own mosquito net. Use your sleeping bag and matress pad in the hammock and get a Kelty Noah tarp and you're good to go on a budget.

The only upgrade from that setup for me is ditching the matress pad and going with an underquilt. I didn't do that until I'd had given the hammock thing a serious try.

And.. you can always find used gear over here.. Hammock Forum ... but you gotta be quick. Gear gets bought up real fast.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #28098
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
the work will wait, get that Tiger fired up.
Okay. I can ride tomorrow. My wife seems to want me to go. I will need to be at Jumpology at Va Center by 6PM. Do you think we can be back this way by then? PM sent as well.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #28099
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,767
The hammock forum will teach you more way more than you will need to know. Do read there. Get him a Hennessy scout. You'll see them used. Buy a blackbird for you. I want an under quilt too and have been looking but a thermarest is great in a hammock. You'll not go back to the ground. My kid (eagle) started with my old HH. Gradually most of his troop went hanging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #28100
e moneybags
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Any last minute takers for a ride out to Waynesboro for fly fishing and wine?
E
e moneybags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:06 PM   #28101
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downer View Post
I remember reading a couple of you were hammock campers. At the time I was intrigued but had little interest. Now my Son has started Boy Scouts and has shown interest in going the Hammock route. I am looking for advice and any suggestions where I could find some used ones for sale. I don't want to invest a couple of hundred bucks until I see how committed he is.

Thanks in advance for any advice or assistance.

C.
When I took a group to Philmont back in 2005 they did not allow hammocks tied to trees. But then out there ya can't pee on a tree either.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #28102
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
#%@#%!!! KLR broke down on me. 30 miles from home. In a tow truck wondering what the hell happened. Sigh.

Guess I'll deal with it when I get back next week. Thing just died. Cranks. Plenty of fuel. Damn.

Mobile Tagging HQ

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #28103
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
#%@#%!!! KLR broke down on me. 30 miles from home. In a tow truck wondering what the hell happened. Sigh.

Guess I'll deal with it when I get back next week. Thing just died. Cranks. Plenty of fuel. Damn.

Mobile Tagging HQ
Did you turn it to reserve?
Old 04-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #28104
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Did you turn it to reserve?
Yep. Only had 99 miles on the tank. Tried it anyway. Full choke and full throttle makes it try a little better, but still no joy. Just wouldn't catch. So ... $125 tow later ... back in the garage. Guess Kawasaki will get to try next week.

Couple of guys who stopped asked about valves. I don't know the last time they were checked, or that is even a possible issue. But one was the ex-owner of Ultimate Cycle, so it's a possibility. Might be the vacuum operated petcock. Maybe ... shit, could be many things. :-/

Sucks. Was having such a nice ride too.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #28105
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Yep. Only had 99 miles on the tank. Tried it anyway. Full choke and full throttle makes it try a little better, but still no joy. Just wouldn't catch. So ... $125 tow later ... back in the garage. Guess Kawasaki will get to try next week.

Couple of guys who stopped asked about valves. I don't know the last time they were checked, or that is even a possible issue. But one was the ex-owner of Ultimate Cycle, so it's a possibility. Might be the vacuum operated petcock. Maybe ... shit, could be many things. :-/

Sucks. Was having such a nice ride too.
Not likely valves would leave you stranded.

Did it die while in motion or wouldn't re-start after a stop?

There are lots of things it could be. Could be kickstand safety switch, could be Petcock, vacuum hose, junk in the carb, loose electrical connection, bad coil/ecu/trigger..

I bet you Guy could have you back on the road in 20 minutes.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #28106
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Not likely valves would leave you stranded.

Did it die while in motion or wouldn't re-start after a stop?

There are lots of things it could be. Could be kickstand safety switch, could be Petcock, vacuum hose, junk in the carb, loose electrical connection, bad coil/ecu/trigger..

I bet you Guy could have you back on the road in 20 minutes.
Kickstand safety switch? Hmmmmm?

Sent from my mobile Interociter.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #28107
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
Kickstand safety switch? Hmmmmm?

Sent from my mobile Interociter.
I had the one on my Vstrom go bad when I was way back in the woods. Bike just stopped for no reason. It would restart but die when I tried to pull away. I guessed that was the problem, cut the wires and twisted them together, and I was back in the trail in 10 minutes.

It kills the motor when you put it into gear and begin to let the clutch out. So it should run when in neutral or when in gear with the clutch pulled unless the clutch switch isn't adjusted.

I bet your bike starts fine in the morning.

Boon Booni screwed with this post 04-11-2014 at 09:10 PM
Old 04-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #28108
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Could be the vacuum actuated petcock. Common problem and it got both Guy and I
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #28109
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
Rick, I think you jinxed yourself with your video in the why I hate Virginia thread.

You are either missing spark or fuel since you say it turned over but wouldn't start. My first guess is going to be the petcock
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:19 PM   #28110
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Yeah. Don't rush it to the shop. Check these few things out. A hose may have just come lose. The kick switch needs to go anyway so it doesn't hang you up some place. Doing mine next week.