ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2014, 05:09 AM   #28111
firedad415
dirt Noob

Oddometer: 118
Rick.... im sorry about the breakage. Its likely my jinx when I jokingly said we could " ...ride behind the beemers and pick up the broken parts..." I suppose my Tenere is next to visit the roadside.

1 John 1:3
firedad415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:40 AM   #28112
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
I enjoyed the RTE at the Alamo yesterday, good to see you guys.

Rick, sorry to hear your bike stranded you on the ride home. Good luck with the repair. Let us know what it turns out to be.

Jeff, have fun at trials training.

I'm headed to Morton's this morning for their Spring Open House then gonna make my way south and west to Fork Union for a track meet my boys are running in. Safe riding everybody.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:47 AM   #28113
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,321
Well, the suit got washed and sent off to Duluth for repair.

Also, I want to thank everyone for their generous offers to borrow gear in the interim. Honestly folks, I'm just not the borrowing type. If I'd fook anything up I'd feel obligated to replace it, and that money could have been used to just to buy something for myself. Appreciate it tho', and trust you understand. I'm just weird like that.

@AB: let me get out and see how some of the manuf. size their gear and I'll get back with you. Stitch sizes for me are 46L for both jacket and pants. I have to be particularly careful with the jacket due to my ape arms "Normal" sizes draw up too far when extended out to the bars.

On a sad note: My wife's mom passed away last evening (04/10/14). Fortunately, she was up there but don't know if she was with her mom at the time. She's back up there now making funeral arrangements. This should give my wife a break from all the road trips she's been making. She's been up and back many, many times over the last few months. her mom is in a better place now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Late last year the connecting zipper (pants to jacket) on my 2-piece Stitch suit took a dump. This also affects the use of the bib converter.

I called them about repair and there was a very long turn-around time, and since I was still riding at the time I didnít want to be without riding gear. I should have just sent the suit off and get it repaired then, but I didnít; shame on me.

Repair times are a little better now so getting ready to send it off. I have a couple of rides coming up that I hope to be able to make, so getting a little desperate on having the appropriate gear JIC the suit doesnít make it back in time, therefore looking for a local shop that carries a good line of gear and reasonable prices. Not looking for super top of the line stuff, but just something to carry me through this interim period.

Recommendations please.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:54 AM   #28114
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,928
Getting ready to start. We might not be smiling later.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:58 AM   #28115
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
@Guy ... Sorry to hear about your MIL. And I suppose your ears were burning yesterday. Everyone at the RTE was wondering and hopeful about you. Hopeful that the discussion of riding gear means you are on the mend.

@Everyoneelse ... Was a little ticked last night, but here's the scoop. Had been riding for about an hour, bike was running fine. Was just running along in 5th gear when ... silence. Maybe a little burp. And that was it. Wouldn't start. Cranks just fine. Won't catch. Plenty of fuel in the tank, tried every setting on the petcock. Vacuum line to the petcock was intact. If I put it on full choke and full throttle and cranked, it sounded like it was getting a smidge of fuel, but no joy.

I'm heading to Portland for a week, so I'll play with it when I get home. I ordered a manual petcock, so I can try that when I get home. Check for spark, peek at the air filter, etc. Just don't have time right now. I know I need the valves adjusted, so I'm hoping I didn't do something nasty inside the case because of a tight valve. Laziness. We'll see.

BTW - It's only $125 to bring a bike from the bowels of Powhatan to the Willy bridge area.

"Iím lost. Iíve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #28116
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,321
No, ears weren't burning. Just normal feebles and wibble-wobblies.

My first "real" ride is in June to the COG National in Johnson City, TN. I certainly hope to get out on the road before then.

Your Bike:

First thought is you got a slug of bad gas. Drain the float bowl, try to re-start and see what happens.
Petcock: Pull the vacuum and fuel line off the petcock and connect a length of tubing to the vacuum port. Pucker up and blow into the line. You should feel resistance. If you feel resistance, man up and suck on the line. With the petcock in the reserve position, you should have fuel flow. If that checks out, then the petcock vacuum scheme is okay. Since you're getting a manual petcock, that would be a moot point.

Anything else will have you going to Plan B.... to be determined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
@Guy ... Sorry to hear about your MIL. And I suppose your ears were burning yesterday. Everyone at the RTE was wondering and hopeful about you. Hopeful that the discussion of riding gear means you are on the mend.

@Everyoneelse ... Was a little ticked last night, but here's the scoop. Had been riding for about an hour, bike was running fine. Was just running along in 5th gear when ... silence. Maybe a little burp. And that was it. Wouldn't start. Cranks just fine. Won't catch. Plenty of fuel in the tank, tried every setting on the petcock. Vacuum line to the petcock was intact. If I put it on full choke and full throttle and cranked, it sounded like it was getting a smidge of fuel, but no joy.

I'm heading to Portland for a week, so I'll play with it when I get home. I ordered a manual petcock, so I can try that when I get home. Check for spark, peek at the air filter, etc. Just don't have time right now. I know I need the valves adjusted, so I'm hoping I didn't do something nasty inside the case because of a tight valve. Laziness. We'll see.

BTW - It's only $125 to bring a bike from the bowels of Powhatan to the Willy bridge area.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:20 PM   #28117
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,015
Anyone, tomorrow?
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #28118
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Anyone, tomorrow?

Powhatan west but not as far as BRP. Maybe Hatton's Ferry from the South Side? I could use a cup of Sheetz Serious Dark Roast coffee to get me going.
MADSTROM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:30 PM   #28119
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

[AE=MADSTROM;23919380] Powhatan west but not as far as BRP. Maybe Hatton's Ferry from the South Side? I could use a cup of Sheetz Serious Dark Roast coffee to get me going.[/QUOTE]

9AM?

Warning you, I am playing on the little bike. Rode a shakedown this evening. Forgot how much of a hooligan it turns me into though. At least it doesn't go but so fast. Down side is more frequent fill ups with the 3 gallon tank.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #28120
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
[AE=MADSTROM;23919380] Powhatan west but not as far as BRP. Maybe Hatton's Ferry from the South Side? I could use a cup of Sheetz Serious Dark Roast coffee to get me going.
9AM?

Warning you, I am playing on the little bike. Rode a shakedown this evening. Forgot how much of a hooligan it turns me into though. At least it doesn't go but so fast. Down side is more frequent fill ups with the 3 gallon tank.[/QUOTE]

You can lead Flat Rock Sheetz 9:00 A.M.

MADSTROM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:24 AM   #28121
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
9AM?

Warning you, I am playing on the little bike. Rode a shakedown this evening. Forgot how much of a hooligan it turns me into though. At least it doesn't go but so fast. Down side is more frequent fill ups with the 3 gallon tank.

.[/QUOTE]

What's a little bike look like? AB:-)
Old 04-13-2014, 04:36 AM   #28122
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB13 View Post

What's a little bike look like? AB:-)[/QUOTE]

Wr250r
Old 04-13-2014, 04:46 AM   #28123
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 970
Someone may have mentioned it before, but T-Bone Tooters is open. Or it was yesterday at least. I didn't stop in and get the scoop. I stopped there to call my wife with an ETL (Estimated Time of Lateness) and hit the road.

If you ever go for a ride with Jdrocks, expect an iron butt pace and wear Depends. LOVED IT! Except nearly exploding my bladder pushing through the twisties on 250. The man requires nothing for a day trip. No food, no water, no pit stops. A rock. I saw, for the first time, Amish in the horse drawn buggies. I thought you pretty much had to go to PA to see them. Nope. Just drive past Bridgewater. Oh, and folks were harvesting ramps close to the LF campground.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:55 AM   #28124
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
If you ever go for a ride with Jdrocks, expect an iron butt pace and wear Depends. LOVED IT! Except nearly exploding my bladder pushing through the twisties on 250. The man requires nothing for a day trip. No food, no water, no pit stops..
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:56 AM   #28125
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
Agree!
I couldn't help but think of you often yesterday, Shannon. When the calendar calms down we head for the hills with the wives.