ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2014, 07:01 AM   #28126
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,053
And he was clearly copying the looks of my Tiger on his second Frankenbike.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #28127
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I couldn't help but think of you often yesterday, Shannon. When the calendar calms down we head for the hills with the wives.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #28128
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,160
Quote:

If you ever go for a ride with Jdrocks, expect an iron butt pace...
hey, we were considering the ETL factor all day, besides it was a mountain tour, not a RTE.

the color scheme on the bikes is what i call CS, "Cop Special" ie. black and white, as in the V649HPcs graphic on the bike. the Tiger does look damn good dressed in CS paint.

the buggy folks were Mennonite, not Amish, and one of the favorite picnic spots for students at Eastern Mennonite University in Harrisonburg is the top of Reddish Knob. here's an excerpt that reports on the Mennonite picnic crowd and explains my caution ascending and descending the Reddish Knob access road...

The top of this road intersects with the road up to Reddish Knob, what the heck, I hadnít been up there in the last few trips in the area, letís go, and after three days of travel, this small decision was almost my undoing.

Nobody at the top when I first got up there, but knowing it was a favorite Mennonite picnic location for the younger set, it didnít surprise me when two van loads pulled up, welcome, have fun, enjoy the view.

The access road to the top of this knob is paved, but one narrow lane wide, and I was riding cautiously down off the mountain when I met a beat up Jeep coming uphill, crazed 20ish driver showing off for his girlfriend, speeding, using the whole road in a blind right hander, and he was so close I could look down and see the beer bottle parked in his crotch, the startled look in his girlfriendís eyes, a smokiní hot mess of a young thing, looked to have her very own Victoriaís Secret credit card. Thatís close, he never slowed, and I couldnít get out of there fast enough, these yoyos are known to run in packs.

I donít know why she would choose to ride around with a lame ass dope who was drinking while driving and looked to be using the tranquilizers the vet prescribed for his cat, but I did know that those Mennonite boys up top were going to have a freakiní heart attack when they laid eyes on her, or maybe go blind from staring at that weird thing stuck in her belly button. Know any Mennonite prayers with an anti sorcery flavor?

had a great time, we'll do it again.

hey there Monsieur Nix, a leading character in that same "Paris" ride report.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:18 PM   #28129
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Hey Dirtmonkey, when you sold me those Cyrcra Handguards, you had two metal square pieces to use as spacers on one of the bar ends. Did those come with the guards, or did you just cut them out of a piece of metal? If the latter, you don't happen to have a couple more do you? My new bars are a bit different in shape, and the side without the spacers is pushing pretty hard on the clutch cables now making me nervous.

Also, to everyone else, I bought brake fluid to do a change, but I don't have anything to bleed them and can't find a good tutorial for the WR250R. Anyone with experience and know how willing to run me through it one time so I know how to do it from now on? I can bring the bike to anyone that's got a syringe and bleeder in the Chesterfield/Richmond vicinity. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Guess I can't bring the bike to anyone. Just changed my oil and filter for the first time on this bike, and when I went to screw the filter screws back in the head popped off of one of them. It said 7 pounds of pressure, but it was just wrenching so easy I didn't think I had that much pressure on it. Now I'm worried the second is deep in there enough for that to happen too, and I don't want to put oil in for fear that it will leak. Now I guess I need a bit to drill the screw back out.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)

burtonrider3889 screwed with this post 04-13-2014 at 06:06 PM
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #28130
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,888
Quote:
I couldn't help but think of you often yesterday, Shannon. When the calendar calms down we head for the hills with the wives.
I saw him today. Looking good. He and his better half were out an about. I tried to talk him into taking his matrix down mud road. It has been dry. Rally car fun.

I went for a bicycle ride today up to the languishing Willi tag. It should count. John is a bicycle rider.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #28131
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,011
Just got home. I am half beat to death, bruised, bloodied, and sore, but nothing broken. I was the first in the class to bleed though. But not the last.

Ryan Young, the instructor is a 6 time North America Trials Champion and is not from this planet. I have a ton of video to try to sort thru and upload but it isn't happening tonight. I am whupped.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom

Jeff Munn screwed with this post 04-13-2014 at 06:59 PM
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #28132
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Burtonrider- INot sure but I have 1/4 aluminum plate to make more. Let me know the diameter of your bolt so I know what size holes to drill. Also, how many pieces will it take? 1, 2, or 3? And roughly what size were they? 3/4" x 5/8" or something? Actually I should have a couple left over I may be able to dig up.

biker128- Mud road. That's funny. If the Matrix takes a dirt nap...

Jeff Munn- Kind of sounds like you are still smiling. Barely. You are a brave man. What do you and Joe have planned next? Crabbing in Alaska, tight roping the Grand Canyon? You know the kid is going to realize you took his under 25 invincibility, right?
Old 04-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #28133
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post

EDIT: Guess I can't bring the bike to anyone. Just changed my oil and filter for the first time on this bike, and when I went to screw the filter screws back in the head popped off of one of them. It said 7 pounds of pressure, but it was just wrenching so easy I didn't think I had that much pressure on it. Now I'm worried the second is deep in there enough for that to happen too, and I don't want to put oil in for fear that it will leak. Now I guess I need a bit to drill the screw back out.
Stop while you are ahead. Don't take a drill to it. If you are managing to snap those bolts while changing the oil, it is probably time to make friends with someone who works on bikes and has a trailer. Normally I would suggest you call Guy and discuss a price for fixing it. Seeing as he is out of business for the moment, someone on the board needs to introduce you to Eppa. Also, don't run it with one of those screws broken. It will leak oil all over the place. If I remember right those three screws are not all the same length. Did you get two of them swapped?

I need to change my oil and filter this week, so I'll check on that then.

If you don't make arrangements with someone to get that bolt out for you, then look at using something like an easy out. Just whatever you do, don't drill it. I'm pretty sure it goes through some oil passages. Also, order the three screws from a part supplier. Plan on using some anti sieze when you put the new ones in. Your goal is to get the broken bolt/screwout without further damaging the threads in the engine.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #28134
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
...I went to screw the filter screws back in the head popped off of one of them..
I'm picturing 3 screws holding a cover over oil filter?

Is there enough of the broken nub sticking out to get a bite on with a vise grip? (after you take the other screws out and the cover off) If so you should be able to get it out pretty easy and just get a new bolt.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #28135
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Just got home. I am half beat to death, bruised, bloodied, and sore, but nothing broken. I was the first in the class to bleed though. But not the last. I have a ton of video to try to sort thru and upload but it isn't happening tonight. I am whupped.
Can't wait to see it... I would like to do the class if they have it again soon. Looks like it would be way too much fun ~ looking at last years videos.

I took a fall this evening just north up the trail form you on the MTB and got a punctured forearm. If I'm gonna get beat up like that I might as well be on the Big Bike.
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:59 PM   #28136
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Burtonrider- INot sure but I have 1/4 aluminum plate to make more. Let me know the diameter of your bolt so I know what size holes to drill. Also, how many pieces will it take? 1, 2, or 3? And roughly what size were they? 3/4" x 5/8" or something? Actually I should have a couple left over I may be able to dig up.

biker128- Mud road. That's funny. If the Matrix takes a dirt nap...

Jeff Munn- Kind of sounds like you are still smiling. Barely. You are a brave man. What do you and Joe have planned next? Crabbing in Alaska, tight roping the Grand Canyon? You know the kid is going to realize you took his under 25 invincibility, right?
I'll have to measure it. Do you go by diameter in millimeters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Stop while you are ahead. Don't take a drill to it. If you are managing to snap those bolts while changing the oil, it is probably time to make friends with someone who works on bikes and has a trailer. Normally I would suggest you call Guy and discuss a price for fixing it. Seeing as he is out of business for the moment, someone on the board needs to introduce you to Eppa. Also, don't run it with one of those screws broken. It will leak oil all over the place. If I remember right those three screws are not all the same length. Did you get two of them swapped?

I need to change my oil and filter this week, so I'll check on that then.

If you don't make arrangements with someone to get that bolt out for you, then look at using something like an easy out. Just whatever you do, don't drill it. I'm pretty sure it goes through some oil passages. Also, order the three screws from a part supplier. Plan on using some anti sieze when you put the new ones in. Your goal is to get the broken bolt/screwout without further damaging the threads in the engine.
I don't think it will be too serious of an issue if I can just get the screw out. I don't even think the threads will be messed up honestly. I've messed threads up before, and it didn't feel like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
I'm picturing 3 screws holding a cover over oil filter?

Is there enough of the broken nub sticking out to get a bite on with a vise grip? (after you take the other screws out and the cover off) If so you should be able to get it out pretty easy and just get a new bolt.
Nope, I don't think so It's broken off just barely inside it looks like. I'll double check though.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 04-14-2014, 08:06 AM   #28137
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,011
Trials training last weekend

I finally broke the code on youtube. Have to remember to write down my password next time.

This is our instructor showing us how to clear a boulder, going up a 40% slope covered with deep loose leaves. Note the rock he is jumping is head high to him while he is balanced STANDING on the bike and talking to us. That guy is amazing.

No. I did not learn this technique this weekend. I was lucky to get over an 18" log, laying on flat ground.

and here is my nephew Joe clearing a double log obstacle by carrying a wheelie over both. Trust me, it is harder than it looks.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom

Jeff Munn screwed with this post 04-14-2014 at 08:36 AM
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #28138
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Burtonrider- I can take a diameter in either mm or inches. Inches are probably easier for me. I have no metric measuring tools or bits. How many quarter inch thick pieces will you need. I think I have two laying around left over...

Dirtmonkey8 screwed with this post 04-14-2014 at 02:44 PM
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #28139
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Burtonrider- I can take a diameter in either mm or inches. Inches are probably easier for me. I have no metric measuring tools or bits. How many quarter inch thick pieces will you need. I think I have two laying around left over...
I'll measure this evening when I get home. Right now I'm in crisis mode over this stuck screw. It's just barely sticking out enough that I can't get pliers around it. I'm thinking it's going to have to be tapped and removed.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
Old 04-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #28140
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
I'll measure this evening when I get home. Right now I'm in crisis mode over this stuck screw. It's just barely sticking out enough that I can't get pliers around it. I'm thinking it's going to have to be tapped and removed.
I hear ya. It may want to turn easily if it can be accessed. Needle nose vice grip pliers may work best if there is any material fully exposed. They can clamp down,get a good bite and hold on while you turn it out. Sounds like there may not be enough screw for that though. You need to find a way, possibly, to score a heavy enough line across it that a flat head screw driver can fit into it. A very small reverse spiral drill bit would probably do the trick, but I don't know where you find them . With that you could use a punch to make an indentation in the center for the bit to start in and stay centered. It would start to eat its way in and, hopefully, just start turning the screw out being that it is reversed spiraled. I think it was Jeremy who mentioned Eppa. I would see if he can help. Better for someone with experience, who is not an expensive dealer, have at it. I think he may be out in King William or something though. I am probably wrong on that. If it is not tight something as simple as a pencil eraser may back it out. Post a pic and don't do anything dumb.