ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #28306
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 819
Thinking about heading out to ride in a few minutes locally if anyone wants to find some dirt.
__________________
2012 WR250R
2007 SV650 (SOLD)
1984 XL350R (SOLD)
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:03 PM   #28307
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Thinking about heading out to ride in a few minutes locally if anyone wants to find some dirt.
Didn't end up going out. Had to finish doing some yard work. If anyone is interested I'll probably ride from about 1-4 tomorrow.
__________________
2012 WR250R
2007 SV650 (SOLD)
1984 XL350R (SOLD)
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #28308
SRMN8R
Down & Out
 
SRMN8R's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Powhatan, VA
Oddometer: 2,992
So sorry. That absolutely should not happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Well, I found out what was wrong with my KLR. The whole top end got trashed. Apparently there is a pin on the cam that deals with decompression. It slipped out, the cam wobbled, and the rest is history. They're at $1800 in parts alone, and they haven't even yet checked valves or the piston. On a 2011 bike.

Not sure what to do. The bike is worth maybe $4k. To drop over half that into making it simply run again ... sigh. I've got a bunch of farkles on it. Maybe I'll just part out the bike and accessories. I could pick up a used engine and install it, but who knows what condition the engine will be in. Need to decide here shortly.

Shit like this shouldn't happen. On a three year old bike, the engine comes apart? Not acceptable.
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:43 PM   #28309
nuggets
Fries with that?
 
nuggets's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Virgina
Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1drlust View Post
Hi All:
Do you know anyone that might be interested in giving motorcycle lessons? I am mainly interested in learning some basic maintenance that I might have to do on the road (like brake cable/clutch cable replacement, tire replacement, valve adjustment etc). I am going for a long tour later this year and figured I need some experience with mechanical issues.

Ideally, I would like to find someone where I can come and work under their supervision so that I get hands on experience. Maybe some Saturday or Sunday sessions. I am not sure if there are people that do this and have an established program, but I don't mind paying for the service.
I had never worked on a Beemer before, so I just gave him a hammer and told him to smack it until done.


New final drive installed.


It was a pleasure meeting you 1drlust.
__________________
2001 400 EXC "Punkin" | 2005 Sherco 290 "Tree Climber"
Nuggets' free bike tech clinic.
nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:00 AM   #28310
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..
 
Jeff Munn's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Petersburg, Virginia
Oddometer: 2,012
Laurel Fork reunion?

It was such a beautiful day, I had to ride out to see what was going on at Laurel Fork. What a great day to ride! (although just a bit windy)

It was about half Richmond guys, and the other half Cat Herders. Saw Mattgoff and Kyle from Charlottesville, HBN, Macon, Andrew, Karl, Chip, heard that Rimbenty and ToddZacker were there too, but missed them. Karl was riding with his son, Fields? Sorry if I left someone out, you guys know how bad I am with names.

Smallish crowd and mostly riders! I think I might start attending again because I've missed that kind of riding and camping. I'll try to post photos later.

HBN, you are the Man! Adventure riding at 30mph on a Ruckus. Wow. Fully loaded too. Cool!

jeff
__________________
Ride to challenge yourself and to expand your horizons. But be warned, once you've ridden beyond the U.S. border, you might begin to realize that the world doesn't revolve around us......

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:56 AM   #28311
biker128pedal
Super Lurker
 
biker128pedal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Eastern, VA
Oddometer: 2,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
I had never worked on a Beemer before, so I just gave him a hammer and told him to smack it until done.
I saw this used for the German Hammer Game.
__________________


Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #28312
YmeYnow
n00b
 
YmeYnow's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Oddometer: 6
Just joined the site note to long ago.

Went out to Roanoke the other day and bought this here Buell but found myself having electrical issues the very next day.



Been in Richmond most my life, some may have seen me at Poe`s for bikes in the bottom on an old red naked sportbike.
YmeYnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:42 AM   #28313
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by YmeYnow View Post
Just joined the site note to long ago.

Went out to Roanoke the other day and bought this here Buell but found myself having electrical issues the very next day.



Been in Richmond most my life, some may have seen me at Poe`s for bikes in the bottom on an old red naked sportbike.
Welcome to the site! Lots of friendly people to meet.
__________________
2012 WR250R
2007 SV650 (SOLD)
1984 XL350R (SOLD)
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:58 AM   #28314
fahrenheit
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Chesterfield, VA
Oddometer: 429
Need to get my bike inspected in the next couple months. Anyone got recommendations on an inspection station?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fahrenheit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:13 PM   #28315
manganos
Let me pontificate.
 
manganos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 3,454
I only trust my bikes at Richmond Superbike! Matt is the only guy to touch mine.

Highworld. Just talked to a guy this Friday that bought a new KLR out the door for $5900 up near Fredricksburg!!!!!
__________________
sponsored motorcycle rider
manganos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #28316
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester
 
jgiacobbe's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Near Richmond VA
Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrenheit View Post
Need to get my bike inspected in the next couple months. Anyone got recommendations on an inspection station?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken's cycle center has been good about getting me in and out for inspections. Finding someone to ring me up usually is the longest part. No appointments needed in my experience. I have yet to actually pay for any work on bikes. Just inspections.

Waffling on the idea of selling my wr250r. I've barely ridden it since last August and come to the conclusion I'm not into real off road riding. If I don't sell it, it will eventually get the SuMo treatment. Although I did ride it 260 miles today.

I never ran into any closed gates today. Wiggin's spring, Tower road and the branch off Wiggins spring that goes to Indian Creek were all open. There are some nice ruts from cxagers driving through when it is muddy. There was one section of Wiggins that was totally rutted. Looked like several cages got stuck going around each other.

Also, I need to look up the story on Yogaville. Rode through there twice today. Also crossed a couple of the bridges across the James I had previously missed. Only one I have not crossed now is the one in Goochland by the prison.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #28317
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 13,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Well, I found out what was wrong with my KLR. The whole top end got trashed. Apparently there is a pin on the cam that deals with decompression. It slipped out, the cam wobbled, and the rest is history. They're at $1800 in parts alone, and they haven't even yet checked valves or the piston. On a 2011 bike.

Not sure what to do. The bike is worth maybe $4k. To drop over half that into making it simply run again ... sigh. I've got a bunch of farkles on it. Maybe I'll just part out the bike and accessories. I could pick up a used engine and install it, but who knows what condition the engine will be in. Need to decide here shortly.

Shit like this shouldn't happen. On a three year old bike, the engine comes apart? Not acceptable.
The Decomp mechanism is not a common failure, but I have heard of them coming apart. Sorry to hear about your luck, I was aiming more for a loose connection.

Hard to say without really looking at the bike, and depending on how much swarf there is due to the failure, but I'd probably be looking for a new top end on ebay.
__________________
Where the fuck...
Where the fuck is the bike?
You gotta be shitting me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #28318
ddlewis
squirrel
 
ddlewis's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: South/central Va
Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Well, I found out what was wrong with my KLR. The whole top end got trashed. Apparently there is a pin on the cam that deals with decompression. It slipped out, the cam wobbled, and the rest is history. They're at $1800 in parts alone...
So Pepe really took a dump. I didn't expect hear that, figure simple fueling/ignition like everybody else. bummer..

I'm with Booni, ebay head probably your most cost effective way forward.

How many miles on it?
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:28 AM   #28319
dljocky
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Yorktown, Va
Oddometer: 853
Thanks!

Next Monday, the 5th of May, I start back to work, half days, two days a week for a few weeks. Neurosurgeon will re-evaluate on the 15th, to see how I'm doing.
I also had a major shift in my vision due to the TBI, so the donations that I have received from you all will help pay for new glasses. I appreciate this a lot. THANK YOU.
Many of you I have never met in person, so I appreciate this even more! Oct. 29th 2013 was the date of the accident, it's been a long, hard battle at times, but it appears to be fading image in my rearview mirror. Thanks again for all the help and support!

dljocky screwed with this post 04-28-2014 at 06:28 AM
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #28320
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders
 
Dirtmonkey8's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
Next Monday, the 5th of May, I start back to work, half days, two days a week for a few weeks. Neurosurgeon will re-evaluate on the 15th, to see how I'm doing.
I also had a major shift in my vision due to the TBI, so the donations that I have received from you all will help pay for new glasses. I appreciate this a lot. THANK YOU.
Many of you I have never met in person, so I appreciate this even more! Oct. 29th 2013 was the date of the accident, it's been a long, hard battle at times, but it appears to be fading image in my rearview mirror. Thanks again for all the help and support!
Great news! i am sure getting back to work and slowly getting into a more typical daily routine will be a good thing. I am sure your co-workers will be happy to see you back again. You are welcome for the doantions. I am glad we could help out. keep moving forward and let that image in the mirror fall off the distant horizon.
__________________
A little dirt don't hurt.
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014