ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #28456
Barnwell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Greg waiting to start second timed section in the afternoon of day one. Riding the most beautiful bike in the entire competition, IMHO.

Someone tell Greg I apologize. I' m the guy with the Aermacchi Sprint who left Greg at the turn with the reversed arrow, went down the other (turns out the correct) road but did not come back. My Sprint's ignition was acting up cause of the rain and I found my brother in law. Nice jelly mold Greg!
We remember the Freeman. We are coterminous.

Barnwell screwed with this post 05-06-2014 at 11:04 AM
Barnwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #28457
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
The Morton's Spring Fling Rally is in two weeks! Click here: http://www.mortonsbmw.com/springfling_2014.html

FYI, the hotel is 100% booked that weekend but there are several other hotel/camping options.

Alan Brown (AB13) is our NB area roads guru and crazy fast gravel road drifter who came up with such a great route last year that included gravel, beautiful views, gorgeous sweeping roads, water crossings, tight smooth twisty pavement and even some relaxing Parkway miles, that we will be using the same route again this year. I can send you the PDF version of the route and Steve Clifford, from Mortons, has the Basecamp version.

I am in need of volunteers to mark the course on Friday, a couple of fast guys to help lead/sweep the first group out, and a guide for the relaxed group. I plan on sweeping behind everyone with some basic medical supplies/cell phone. Let me know if you are willing to help. Sincere thanks!
I rode this last year and it was fantastic. I have the whole thing on a Basecamp file and will be glad to e-mail it to any interested party. cliffy109@gmail.com
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #28458
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnwell View Post
Greg waiting to start second timed section in the afternoon of day one. Riding the most beautiful bike in the entire competition, IMHO.

Someone tell Greg I apologize. I' m the guy with the Aermacchi Sprint who left Greg at the turn with the reversed arrow, went down the other (turns out the correct) road but did not come back. My Sprint's ignition was acting up cause of the rain and I found my brother in law. Nice jelly mold Greg!
Barnwell, no problem. Thanks for stopping and checking. I knew that to be the correct direction as well but had thought I had just seen one of my "Team Motogeezer" riders Tony take the left fork in a herd of riders so was waiting for him to back track. I ended up going down the left fork road for a couple of miles to look for him but did't see him so I returned and carried on. I was talking with the Ride Marshall who had just corrected the arrow and he had asked me to direct others to the right as well. As it turned out Tony had corrected as well and I saw him at the finish. My bike ran great and other than the slick mud sections and steep down hill dirt performed great...I just had to take those a little slower and made up time on the curvy asphalt. I love riding that little "jelly mold" !! Any how no worries about your continuing on...great job riding the Giro!!

Jeff and Tony.

Yours truly.

Barnwell, was this your bike?
Old 05-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #28459
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 859
General information .....

Hey guys .......
We have a great group of guys and gals here on ADV. Its been a pleasure to get to know all of you. Besides riding and an occasional RTE I have always wondered if there were other events or interests that could bring the group together more often. For example last year some of us went fishing. Firearms seems to be another interest by many.

Long story short ..... scuba diving. Any scuba divers out there? Experienced or new? Any interest?

Just saying .... Oct 25-Nov 1, 2014 one of the dive shops is sponsoring a trip to Roatan Honduras. All inclusive.... luxury resort, food, diving and meals. Around $1250 a person plus air. 7 nights, 5 days of 3 tank dives.

I am not connected in any way to the event. The wife and I just enjoy warm water and all the critters that live in it.

If anyone is interested in going let me know.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #28460
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Todd's son (Nick) and I are taking a local ride on Wed. Nothing special. Could turn into an overnight if there is interest. Anyway, we are heading west. Mostly pavement but we will be looking for some dirt and gravel. Nick on his 650GS. Im riding the 12GS. Im thinking north west of Charlottesville but east of the BRP. Always open for suggestions. Its my first trip out this year so Im very excited to get out and blow off the rust. Could be a little spirited.

If anyone is interested let us know.
chuck
Glad to see you're healed enough to ride. Are you attending the Spring Fling?

Sent from my mobile Interociter.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #28461
skychs
chuck smith

Quote:
DrWhipit .......Glad to see you're healed enough to ride. Are you attending the Spring Fling?
I wish I could go. Im still working weekends. Y'all have fun and be careful.
chuck
Old 05-07-2014, 05:27 AM   #28462
Barnwell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
Barnwell, no problem. Thanks for stopping and checking. I knew that to be the correct direction as well but had thought I had just seen one of my "Team Motogeezer" riders Tony take the left fork in a herd of riders so was waiting for him to back track. I ended up going down the left fork road for a couple of miles to look for him but did't see him so I returned and carried on. I was talking with the Ride Marshall who had just corrected the arrow and he had asked me to direct others to the right as well. As it turned out Tony had corrected as well and I saw him at the finish. My bike ran great and other than the slick mud sections and steep down hill dirt performed great...I just had to take those a little slower and made up time on the curvy asphalt. I love riding that little "jelly mold" !! Any how no worries about your continuing on...great job riding the Giro!!

Jeff and Tony.

Yours truly.

Barnwell, was this your bike?
Nope, mine was the ashtray head - same tank but stock paint. The above bike is a Giro regular and has a later 350 knuckle engine sleeved down to a 305 to be Giro eligible. This is what I rode:
Hope to see you at the Fall event and have a recent project (66 Ducati scrambler) sorted out (clutch dragging):
We remember the Freeman. We are coterminous.

Barnwell screwed with this post 05-07-2014 at 05:35 AM
Barnwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:59 AM   #28463
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
...Long story short ..... scuba diving. Any scuba divers out there? Experienced or new? Any interest?

Just saying .... Oct 25-Nov 1, 2014 one of the dive shops is sponsoring a trip to Roatan Honduras. All inclusive.... luxury resort, food, diving and meals. Around $1250 a person plus air. 7 nights, 5 days of 3 tank dives.
Hey Chuck, I have a padi open water cert but wouldn't exactly call myself "experienced". I've had it about ~7 years and that's about how many dives I have under my belt, if that many. don't own any gear. But I REALLY enjoy it every time I go. Funny you bring it up since I've recently been trying to get my wife interested. Think it would be fun for our impending empty-nesthood.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #28464
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,892
Ability to ride slow? You don't understand....

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos View Post
That MotoGiro is neat!!! I don't have the mechanical ability or ability to ride something so slow so long but man that is neat.
Chris, it is the opposite of what you are thinking. They may be small displacement bikes, but it is anything but slow. I can't speak for the guys riding the monster 4-strokes (anything over 200cc is overkill), but for the small displacement guys it is all about LIVING ON THE MAIN JET, for hours at a time. Unless you've got track time, you don't know how it feels to ride a bike fully pegged, all the time, for hours on end. Or trying to catch the perfect line thru a 35mph turn, on a bike that you outweigh, knowing that if you back off the gas you'll not get it back into the power band for 15-30 seconds. And also knowing your drum brakes can't really handle emergency braking, so hammering too hot into a turn you can't see around is fraught with risk..... but euphoric when you pull it off.

As Tony said, it is the most fun per CC that I've ever had in my life. For me it isn't about winning, it's about bringing an old bike back to life, and re-living the ecstasy you felt riding as a kid.

I do think I'm going to get a T-shirt made that says something about "Living life on the Main" Wish someone had gotten a picture of me doing my Rollie Free on the little YG5T to get it up to 45 mph. I'd have put that on the T-shirt too.

jeff

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.....

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom

Jeff Munn screwed with this post 05-07-2014 at 07:55 AM
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #28465
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
and made up time on the curvy asphalt.
saved for future use
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:05 AM   #28466
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
saved for future use
I'm sure curves on the little Duc are a bit different than with the big GSA. I believe him.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #28467
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,351
I mean I get it but I don't know enough on how to work on them and while it is more fun to ride a slow bike fast I still like "fast" bikes LOL. It does peak my curiosity though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Chris, it is the opposite of what you are thinking. They may be small displacement bikes, but it is anything but slow. I can't speak for the guys riding the monster 4-strokes (anything over 200cc is overkill), but for the small displacement guys it is all about LIVING ON THE MAIN JET, for hours at a time. Unless you've got track time, you don't know how it feels to ride a bike fully pegged, all the time, for hours on end. Or trying to catch the perfect line thru a 35mph turn, on a bike that you outweigh, knowing that if you back off the gas you'll not get it back into the power band for 15-30 seconds. And also knowing your drum brakes can't really handle emergency braking, so hammering too hot into a turn you can't see around is fraught with risk..... but euphoric when you pull it off.

As Tony said, it is the most fun per CC that I've ever had in my life. For me it isn't about winning, it's about bringing an old bike back to life, and re-living the ecstasy you felt riding as a kid.

I do think I'm going to get a T-shirt made that says something about "Living life on the Main" Wish someone had gotten a picture of me doing my Rollie Free on the little YG5T to get it up to 45 mph. I'd have put that on the T-shirt too.

jeff

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.....
Old 05-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #28468
skychs
chuck smith

Todays Ride

Today, Nick (Todd Zackers son) and I had a great ride. We found a bunch of dirt and gravel between 33 and 250 just east of the BRP. 260 miles for me. At least 360 miles for Nick once he gets home. It was the first ride of the year for both of us so ..... yippie! Thanks Nick for a great day!

photo DSCN9146_zps9eb032b0.jpg
Old 05-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #28469
skychs
chuck smith

Scuba

Quote:
ddLewis ......Hey Chuck, I have a padi open water cert but wouldn't exactly call myself "experienced". I've had it about ~7 years and that's about how many dives I have under my belt, if that many. don't own any gear. But I REALLY enjoy it every time I go. Funny you bring it up since I've recently been trying to get my wife interested. Think it would be fun for our impending empty-nesthood.
Hey Dan ....
Would love to have you guys join us. A refresher for you and a new open water cert for the wife. Sounds like a lot of fun. We can talk about it on our next ride.

I'm a new empty nester as well. Ahhhhhh
Old 05-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #28470
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Hey guys .......
We have a great group of guys and gals here on ADV. Its been a pleasure to get to know all of you. Besides riding and an occasional RTE I have always wondered if there were other events or interests that could bring the group together more often. For example last year some of us went fishing. Firearms seems to be another interest by many.

Long story short ..... scuba diving. Any scuba divers out there? Experienced or new? Any interest?

I am not connected in any way to the event. The wife and I just enjoy warm water and all the critters that live in it.

If anyone is interested in going let me know.
That sounds like a blast. I liked Roatan when I went. I've never done any scuba.

I've talked to others on here before about hitting the ski slopes in the winter for the day together. I know there are a couple other skiers out there. My big hobbies outside of motorcycles are snowboarding and cars. I know it doesn't seem like anyone here autocrosses other than me, but maybe the car lovers would want to meet up at cars and coffee one saturday.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote